announcement

eFestivals

Its not late at all. If anything we have more acts than previous years.

30th May 2013: Full lineup (barring BBC Introducing & Arcadia which came in June)

22 May 2014 - Full Line Up (64 stages)

4 June 2014 - Running times

1st June 2007: Initial announcement, containing 17 stages. Some of the rest were quietly added over the next few days, some didn't get announced until you picked up the programme on site. And that was considered normal practice at the time.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can give you the last 2 years...

2014 had 2405 performances (includes all performances from bands that played twice or more)

2013 had 2123... so it went up 13% last year, crazy.

I don't entirely trust raw numbers like that, because I'm not convinced it'll ever be realistic to compare like for like.

Here's an example - If you widened the gap to 10 years and ran the numbers of 2004 vs 2014, I suspect the number of artists listed would be (considerably) more than double, but that only tells part of the story. The number of Stages listed would also more than double - part of this is down to new stages, but there's a large number of stages that get listed today that didn't (or wouldn't have) 10 years ago.

Here's another example - one area where there's genuinely been a huge increase in the number of stages over that 10 year period is in the Theatre + Circus fields. When you add in all the Risers etc, they've probably got about triple what they used to. However the net increase in the number of artists won't be anywhere near as high - people often reference the fact that Mik Artistik plays about 15 times every festival, but he's far from the only one.

Take someone like Herbie Treehead for example - plays every year in T+C, 10 years ago he'd have done 1 or 2 sets a day on the Outdoor Circus Stage (total 3-6), in 2015 my guess is it'll be more like 4 sets a day in various different incarnations for a total of 12+. He's not the only one. So the number of stages has massively increased for sure, and there's been extra artists added to play on them, but I don't believe that you can directly correlate the numbers.

So to answer the original question. I don't know, and I don't think anyone can accurately say.

Two class albums lad.

Second one is made to be played live.

Mate who saw them in Belfast 4 weeks ago said it was something special

Had tickets for that gig but ended up was away so gave them to mates who were blown away. Defo on my hit list.

I don't entirely trust raw numbers like that, because I'm not convinced it'll ever be realistic to compare like for like.

Isn't it also true that the performances start earlier each year? By which I mean that more areas each year seem to have bands playing on the Wednesday and Thursday before the proper Friday 11AM kick-off, so that could account for an increase of several percent I would guess (in pure speculation mode on my part of course - actionstations's numbers were very interesting to see).

I think The Vaccines are just secretly annoyed at there tumble down festival line ups this summer.

Saying that they aren't wrong really if ever Florence was going to headline this was her year.

Saw vaccines at the Big Weekend, they were utter turd

Flo on the other utterly nailed it, and I I am not a fan by any means. But fair play to her she was brill, and really engaged with the crowd. I might even go as far to say I will go and see her at glasto. And I never thought I would say that

I've liked them for a good while on record, having not seen them live, yet.

Seeing some of their set on telly at the 6Music festival confirmed for me that they have the live chops too.

WILL. BE. AWESOME.

:)

Ben

PSB are really good live, seen them a few years ago supporting New Order at Jodrell Bank - what an amazing gig that was!! Clashes pending will be seeing these :)

I'm watching Festival, Sex and Suspicious Parents and it's put everything into an awful new perspective.

Good lord.

I always worry for the day that they have one of those from Glastonbury. Just info'd the latest episode and turns out its from Frequency Festival in Austria apparently.

'Bloody foreigners', the Austrians will say, 'coming over here and ruining our festivals'.