Pieminister

JoeyT

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd happily see brothers ditched too, and have a local producer in their place.

I know a girl who works at Brothers.

She pretty much describes it as an industrial chemical plant. NONE of their products are made from fermented juice. Tanker loads of fruit syrup arrive, are diluted and then fermented and the syrups used for flavouring are full of pretty unnatural stuff.

Pretty nasty. Can't believe how many folk on here rave about it.

I had a couple of years when I didn't visit the brothers bar, and I'm sure that before when I went there it was different flavoured ciders, and you used to be able to buy it in 2litre bottles, then when I reacquainted with the bar, they no longer do the big bottles, and it's all one standard cider with a dash of flavoured syrup.

It's just not what it used to be!

She pretty much describes it as an industrial chemical plant. NONE of their products are made from fermented juice. Tanker loads of fruit syrup arrive, are diluted and then fermented and the syrups used for flavouring are full of pretty unnatural stuff.

You can't understand why people don't like taking brain-altering chemical substances on a Glastonbury forum? :D

The Pies! The Pies!

Can't see how Pieminister are too corporate and Square Pie are not. Outlets at Selfridges, Canary Wharf for the bankers, stock in Sainsbury's.....

Perhaps Brothers made a higher bid for their pitch so that they could extend the length of their bar this year. A few years back the stall next to their bar was shut half way though the festival and was taken over by Brothers so that they could shift more pear......

they are much smaller, they are exempt from filing their accounts.

But they should be cast out of the festival, just for having a shop in the nobhead-filled spitalfields market..

Squaare Pie are worse, they have a shop in the stratford Westfields, they might take in a boat load to pay the rents over there!

Yeah but on a sunny glasto afternoon, watching something on West Holts it hits the spot! :P

Squaare Pie are worse, they have a shop in the stratford Westfields, they might take in a boat load to pay the rents over there!

Yeah but on a sunny glasto afternoon, watching something on West Holts it hits the spot! :P

damn maybe I looked up the wrong entity then.

Rich twats!

Caught the smell of stale whatever it was coming from that place one year, made me want to gag and not drink it again. I do have the odd one now only because it's cold and strong, other than that it's piss.

An alternative/indpendant provider of a decent strengh cider would be great.

Edited by whisty

The one that really gets my goat on the faux authenticity tweeness shite is 'Barnaby Sykes Pie maker' with some crossed pistols highwayman bollocks.

Was trying to remember the name earlier of this company as saw them there last year. If you check them out on Twitter the website link is for Pure Pie! https://twitter.com/BarnabySykes

Edited by StoneCircle

7.5% helps...

Is there nothing to be said for a Growler stand at every stage?

Caught the smell of stale whatever it was coming from that place one year, made me want to gag and not drink it again. I do have the odd one now only because it's cold and strong, other than that it's piss.

An alternative/indpendant provider of a decent strengh cider would be great.

Cider bus?

Perhaps Brothers made a higher bid for their pitch so that they could extend the length of their bar this year. A few years back the stall next to their bar was shut half way though the festival and was taken over by Brothers so that they could shift more pear......

They moved from that location last year anyway, they were somewhere else.

I'm a Square Pie man myself, so not that fussed personally.

Pieminister seem to be trying to persuade GFL to reconsider, which is why they've tweeted about it, so I wouldn't say it's a done deal.

In terms of the independent traders, I'm a big fan of the bakery up by the entrance to the Acoustic Field and the Kidz world cafe(?). Doesn't a local rugby team run a stall too?

Prob the right decision. They are very big now and in same league as other big brands now available in supermarket eg Covent Garden Soup, Pizza Express, Krispy Kreme - I wouldn't want to see any of those at the Festival. With the huge street food revolution taking over the streets there's many many better alternatives.

Prob the right decision. They are very big now and in same league as other big brands now available in supermarket eg Covent Garden Soup, Pizza Express, Krispy Kreme - I wouldn't want to see any of those at the Festival. With the huge street food revolution taking over the streets there's many many better alternatives.

Im not sure you can compare pieminister to billion dollar businesses like krispy kreme or pizza express, even new covent garden with turnover of 100+ million is in an entirely different league.

Im not that fussed they're gone but amused by the perception they are some kind of evil multinational!

Just had a look at the website - Regular festival cider and pear are 7%, the flavoured ones are a lot less.

At the festival they're all 7%. Well, the flavoured ones are 6.8% or something as they add a shot of syrup in. But it's all the same base cider.

I swear it used to be 8.5% or something though back in the early 2000s.

It'd be great if that happens. But I bet we just get another Square Pie company or something instead.

Im not sure you can compare pieminister to billion dollar businesses like krispy kreme or pizza express, even new covent garden with turnover of 100+ million is in an entirely different league.

Im not that fussed they're gone but amused by the perception they are some kind of evil multinational!

I meant that they are now a regular supermarket brand and as such not particular special. I wouldn't want to see any 'branded' food retailer at Glasto and by and large there isn't.

I meant that they are now a regular supermarket brand and as such not particular special. I wouldn't want to see any 'branded' food retailer at Glasto and by and large there isn't.

There's a few - Square Pie, Yeo Valley, Shaken Udder, probably more too. Most of them got started on the festival circuit and made it big though. It feels weird to exclude them because they managed to become successful. I vaguely remember Innocent having a stall back in the day.

The Yeo Valley yogurt stall springs to mind; though I'd miss that. Used to be the bargain of the festival with a huge yogurt for a quid (price has stayed the same but the pot is distinctly less huge)

Just had a look at the website - Regular festival cider and pear are 7%, the flavoured ones are a lot less.

More thinking about the strength at the Cider bus, proper cider like :)

Edit, it's about 6%.

Edited by whisty