Mobile Site

Jamesthedrake

Okay so it just happened again now. I got redirected to Zynga Poker. The website was

http://d.afftrx.com/?s=1155656&macaddress=

(Obviously don't click on it, it could be harmful)

It's an issue on your device - you're infected with malware.

Re. d.afftrx.com

“it happens when you download freeware from the internet and install it without paying any attend to the installation process. d.afftrx.com is usually disguised as a bundle hidden in your main wanted freeware. If you don’t choose Customize Installation to cancel the pre-check confirmation about some bundled components, you definitely will install potential information like slimpsots.com and d.afftrx.com along with your desired ones. Apart from that, it can also infiltrate your PC by the means of:

• opening infected email attached files.

• visiting malicious or corrupted websites.

• clicking suspicious links planted with exploit code that tries to install malware without your approval”

Suggestions re how to remove it

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6791572

The issue with loading the App Store when opening the forum on my iPhone happened to me for a while on this forum and another I look on using the same forum layout. I did a bit of searching and found out it was something to do with some hidden script in some adverts which said was legal but an article was saying it was trying to ban it. It all of a sudden stop doing it for some reason.

Edited by jon10x

The issue with loading the App Store when opening the forum on my iPhone happened to me for a while on this forum and another I look on using the same forum layout. I did a bit of searching and found out it was something to do with some hidden script in some adverts which said was legal but an article was saying it was trying to ban it. It all of a sudden stop doing it for some reason.

No. We don't run dodgy ads like that.

It was either you inadvertently clicking on an ad that perhaps hadn't yet displayed (as mentioned in previous posts in this thread), or its a malware issue on your device.

I guarantee there's no one who displays more pages - with the ads - on this website than I do, and in 15 years I've never had the ads we run hijack my browser.

No. We don't run dodgy ads like that.

It was either you inadvertently clicking on an ad that perhaps hadn't yet displayed (as mentioned in previous posts in this thread), or its a malware issue on your device.

I guarantee there's no one who displays more pages - with the ads - on this website than I do, and in 15 years I've never had the ads we run hijack my browser.

I wasn't saying they were dodgy adds. When I had the issue it was stuff like candy crush and game of war, totally legit and legal. As a said it doesn't happen now so it might be a totally different issue and was quit some time ago. Just sharing what I found out at the time.

As far as I'm aware iPhone's can't get the type of malware you've described unless they're jail broken (which mine isn't). It was taken to an Apple Store last week (for a totally different issue) and they run a full diagnostic thing on it which didn't return any evidence of malware. According to this:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/18/safari-app-store-redirect

It's a problem with advertisers that Apple hasn't managed to fix yet, so it's not a problem on either of our ends. I haven't experienced it happening with any other websites really yet, but I only browse pretty limitedly. So hopefully iPhones will get a patch soon that will stop advertisers from exploiting this loophole.

Edited by Jamesthedrake

The only problem I get with the mobile site is on the iPad (I presume that's the mobile site?). I go to Sign In with the button at the top of the page, put in my credentials, it redirects me to the chat page where I came from, but I'm not logged in. Still all the ads, still a button to Sign In. I can do this round and round as many times as the long spring evenings allow with the same result.

Not a biggie though.

As far as I'm aware iPhone's can't get the type of malware

it's not the phone that gets the malware, it's the browser. Browsers download stuff, it's what they're designed to do.

It's a problem with advertisers that Apple hasn't managed to fix yet, so it's not a problem on either of our ends.

it's one of the issues that all web-browsers suffer from as a consequences of what they're designed to do - download stuff, and interact with what's downloaded.

But anyway, the point is from where I'm sat that I'm exceedingly confident it's not something you've picked up from the ads here.

saw a very similar issue on another forum i use with 30k users. loads of people had the same redirecting issue happening on mobile devices around the same time. it was definitely code in an ad that was displaying, which was coming from Google Ads.

we don't run any google ads - zero, zilch, nada.

i didn't say you did, my point was that just because you're running ads from a reputable agency (in your case AdTech), it doesn't mean the ads themselves don't have some piece of code in there that is causing redirects on people's mobile devices.

True.

But it's never ever happened to me, and I assure you I see more ads here than any other person (more than 4 times the next nearest - who is Scottie).

And it's certainly the case that the ad that was claimed as causing a problem from here is not an ad that that's on our ad-system.

the admins on the site i was on thought that too, but it was some background code in the ad for a different site/product.

maybe it's different and a few people on here have malware on their phone which is causing it on this site only, but it seems like the exact same type of issue.

it was only happening very intermittently to a small amount of people, but the ones that it did happen to were mostly apple device users. stopped happening when they figured out what ad it was and had it removed from appearing on the site.

Edited by ghostdancer1

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else still experiencing this issue. My iPhone 6 is all but unusable for eFests as every time I open it I am re-directed to App Store. I have cleared the cache, blocked popups and it still occurs. I load the page - an ad loads at the top and bang - page redirects (several times) to various urls and then opens App Store (one of the URLS always being href.ii).

Apple forums suggest it is ad hijacking effectively making the whole screen a hotspot to open the ad's redirect to app store. Interestingly on Wifi it does not seem to happen - just happens on 4G (vodafone). Some suggest it is a bug with Safari that Apple are failing to address - it is just odd that it does not affect all iPhone users.

Ok so the festival is over for another year but I cannot go cold turkey with eFests..........

Any pointers welcome!