Glastocam!

pauladam

IF there were to have a drone show, I would imagine they would all be taking off from a fenced off area in the vicinity above the tipi fields, maybe to the west of Strummerville or even the festival side of WV - away from the trees
This would allow the whole of the festival to see the show much the same as the fireworks.
I doubt they would take off from some cordoned off area for example in front of the Pyramid stage.
The drones are all programmed to land immediately if the stray, even if means crash landing straight down if they begin to stray outside the designated airspace.
These shows can be seen for miles away in the dark.

Usually when there's a drone show planned, permission is sought from the CAA, so that it can be included in NOTAMs... That's how all of the 'secret' drone shoes I've attended have been leaked in advance. 

So I went to check drone assist, and the NOTAMs and temporary FRZs are already in place for Glastonbury.

Notams specify fireworks to 500ft, lasers, and search lights, nothing unusual. 

There's a temporary FRZ in place, meaning nobody should be flying anything above the site without special clearance. (I am no expert, but I think that clearance would be mentioned in the NOTAMs if it had been sought. It has... I'm just blind

And there's jammers in place, so unless they're disabled, nobody is flying any drones above. Guess they're disabling it. 

No mention of a drone show whatsoever. There's time yet, but so far nothing, and it is getting a little late in the day. 

EDIT

Nevermind I'm a blind bat....

Drone show it is 🙂

1254300654_Screenshot2024-06-19225938.thumb.jpg.ed7a9fdee706a6da0326b62639eb786f.jpg

Completely missed the ickle lickle circle in the middle. lol

Edited by Alvoram
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Usually when there's a drone show planned, permission is sought from the CAA, so that it can be included in NOTAMs... That's how all of the 'secret' drone shoes I've attended have been leaked in advance. 

So I went to check drone assist, and the NOTAMs and temporary FRZs are already in place for Glastonbury.

There's a temporary FRZ in place, meaning nobody should be flying anything above the site without special clearance. (I am no expert, but I think that clearance would be mentioned in the NOTAMs if it had been sought.) 

And there's jammers in place, so unless they're disabled, nobody is flying any drones above. 

No mention of a drone show whatsoever. There's time yet, but so far nothing, and it is getting a little late in the day. 

EDIT

Drone show it is 🙂

1254300654_Screenshot2024-06-19225938.thumb.jpg.ed7a9fdee706a6da0326b62639eb786f.jpg

So we are in for a drone show?

So... now we've cleared that up... THIS is where the drone show is according to the NOTAMs.

Anybody know what's there?

922587476_Screenshot2024-06-19230838.thumb.jpg.824126dc2099f609933fff3723196307.jpg

2 minutes ago, Julesdude said:

So we are in for a drone show?

100% Yes, they've filed it with the CAA

Edited by Alvoram

15 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

So... now we've cleared that up... THIS is where the drone show is according to the NOTAMs.

Anybody know what's there?

922587476_Screenshot2024-06-19230838.thumb.jpg.824126dc2099f609933fff3723196307.jpg

During previous years, not used.

image.png.14e0f4c0b562c6cd8ace0898b1177229.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

Great work team! Which night is the drone show? Or does that NOTAMs cover the whole event?

I would 'guess' it's the opening show. NOTAMS covers 8am Weds morning to 11pm Thurs. 

Maybe they wanted to extend it to Thursday incase the wind is too high on the Weds. 

But honestly, just guessing really, NOTAM covers 2 potential evenings, Wednesday and Thursday. 

There's a number to call for more information if anybody has the nerve, the lingo and the gift of the gab. 😉 

576 Drones... So it's not a particularly massive display... I've seen displays with over 1000... However, to put it into context, London NYE show had 600 apparently.  

Edited by Alvoram
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My question now is and was a bit further back if you are reading it all … don’t think I can see any sign of any wood piles in the usual spots for wed fires so will the drone display totally replace them and the fireworks or be in addition to ? 

I would imagine a drone show would be cheaper than the fireworks. How much do you think GF spends on fireworks for the festival opening each year £10 - 20K?

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

These folks appear to be the leaders in Drone displays at present....and guess what....they're based just down the road near Frome.

https://celestial.show/?gclid=CjwKCAjwps-zBhAiEiwALwsVYYGygoGhvUPyfXeT_2uYhMhLPwuY5ETU-ELzbQ5vFPjYwNiVmeE8FxoCdYcQAvD_BwE

Worth a drive by ? 🙂 and some casual questions about drone availability next wed ? 

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

My question now is and was a bit further back if you are reading it all … don’t think I can see any sign of any wood piles in the usual spots for wed fires so will the drone display totally replace them and the fireworks or be in addition to ? 

theres something going on in the usual spot:

image.thumb.png.fff91d149a85f3aa2b13f2d7a2bfb699.png

still plenty of time to dump a load of pallets for a bonfire

17 minutes ago, paulshane said:

theres something going on in the usual spot:

image.thumb.png.fff91d149a85f3aa2b13f2d7a2bfb699.png

still plenty of time to dump a load of pallets for a bonfire

...or it could just be prep for the opening ceremony to take place as usual.

10 hours ago, Alvoram said:

There's a temporary FRZ in place, meaning nobody should be flying anything above the site without special clearance. (I am no expert, but I think that clearance would be mentioned in the NOTAMs if it had been sought. It has... I'm just blind

And there's jammers in place, so unless they're disabled, nobody is flying any drones above. Guess they're disabling it. 

EDIT

Drone show it is 🙂

I'm extremely confused.

2 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I'm extremely confused.

There's normally a block on anything overflying the festival site without permission but evidence has been found online that there are plans to fly 576 drones in the vicinity between 0800 Weds and 2259 Thursday.

1 hour ago, Ommadawn said:

I would imagine a drone show would be cheaper than the fireworks. How much do you think GF spends on fireworks for the festival opening each year £10 - 20K?

Whilst I cant speak for glasto I can say the drones for London NYE cost more than the fireworks.  

From I'm gleaned it will be fireworks and drones for the opening in Thursday 

Edited by watsonjm