Glastocam!

pauladam

On 5/18/2023 at 8:51 AM, DareToDibble said:

I, along with my wife and a couple of mates were stood really close, just to the left of the sound stage, so until now haven’t really appreciate just how ridiculous this crowd was. That’s absolutely mad. No wonder people were getting stuck.

That's a great pic. Can't believe I managed to meet up with my son right near to where you were stood. I came in from watching all the Kae Tempest set on the Other stage, and he came in from the left side. Managed to meet up, and get to some friends I  spotted down at the front left; one of them always has a branch he waves around. 

53 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Some Car Henge gubbins included in the latest site snaps...

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/site-snaps-the-pyramid-and-carhenge-taking-shape/

Yeah looks just like I thought it would... vertical cars 🤣 but if they're gonna use the Williams green tent for stone bridge then that's a plus as it'll be easier to get in there 👍 hopefully 🤞

Just now, gazzared said:

Yeah looks just like I thought it would... vertical cars 🤣 but if they're gonna use the Williams green tent for stone bridge then that's a plus as it'll be easier to get in there 👍 hopefully 🤞

They need to put some horizontal cars on top or else it's not carhenge 2.0, it's just some cars stood on their ends.

54 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

If that’s it for carhenge then that’s a waste of prime festival space. 

I very much think they will be a lot more to it. 

The original car henge was created out of the battle of the bean field, the attack and police violence sanctioned by Thatchers government on the peace convoy near Stonehenge. Michael allowed the travellers on site. I hope that this new installation reminds everyone of this and it’s more than just a pile of old cars.  I remember watching it on the tv news and was totally sickened by the actions of the police and the levels of violence they used. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The original car henge was created out of the battle of the bean field, the attack and police violence sanctioned by Thatchers government on the peace convoy near Stonehenge. Michael allowed the travellers on site. I hope that this new installation reminds everyone of this and it’s more than just a pile of old cars. 

To take a look at this look at eavis vs goode (show down at Glastonbury) on you tube. Fantastic watch 

Explains how crazy it used to be. 

The daughter now rents out the fields as a glamping option or used to.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I hope that this new installation reminds everyone of this and it’s more than just a pile of old cars.

It's so much more.

It should as you say be a reminder of the Battle of the Bean Field and the history of both the traveller scene and the history of the festival, which are very much intertwined.

One of the problems I had, and still do have to some extent, with this forum is a lack of recognition of this fact.

There seems to be a lack of interest in and reluctance to accept this among a lot of current festival goers both on here and in general.

I fully understand that the festival had to evole and move on to survive, but the simple truth is that without the counter culture that underpinned this event, it would never have  got to where it is now. I include the early rave scene in this, imagine no dance venues and no post midnight entertainment (this was once the case).

Maybe it's down to a lack of "story telling " and education.

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's so much more.

It should as you say be a reminder of the Battle of the Bean Field and the history of both the traveller scene and the history of the festival, which are very much intertwined.

One of the problems I had, and still do have to some extent, with this forum is a lack of recognition of this fact.

There seems to be a lack of interest in and reluctance to accept this among a lot of current festival goers both on here and in general.

I fully understand that the festival had to evole and move on to survive, but the simple truth is that without the counter culture that underpinned this event, it would never have  got to where it is now. I include the early rave scene in this, imagine no dance venues and no post midnight entertainment (this was once the case).

Maybe it's down to a lack of "story telling " and education.

Correct, the significance of car henge needs to be explained and why the original car henge materialised. The treatment of the travellers, men women and children, by the police at the behest of the government was abhorrent. It’s part of the unique history of the festival 

6 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I agree with you about how counter culture underpins the history of Glastonbury, but I'm a bit confused at how you'd prefer people to post in a way that recognises it, or how you think people could attend the festival in way that isn't "reluctant to accept" it.

Yes, the festival and the traveller scene have an intertwined history. That history is available for anyone who wishes to learn more about the past. But the Battle of the Bean Field is also 38 years ago, older than many people who attend the festival. Why begrudge any twenty-something who just turns up and enjoys the event? The fact they can is the fruit of the history.

11 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

The daughter now rents out the fields as a glamping option or used to.

Still does.....Tangerine Fields uses the field where Mrs Goode's white crucifix still defiantly stands overlooking the festival and, although not themselves a Christian concern, Tangerine Fields often has a small shelter at the bottom of the field with some Christian literature, and has in the past hosted a small Sunday service.  I'm guessing it's part of the deal between them and the Goode family.

4 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Still does.....Tangerine Fields uses the field where Mrs Goode's white crucifix still defiantly stands overlooking the festival and, although not themselves a Christian concern, Tangerine Fields often has a small shelter at the bottom of the field with some Christian literature, and has in the past hosted a small Sunday service.  I'm guessing it's part of the deal between them and the Goode family.

She still challenges the festival application everytime 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's some vendetta given she died about 20 years back 

Apparently it’s her daughter who does it now.  She rents out the land and makes a nice sum but still objects. 

Some people just thrive on bitterness I guess. 

11 minutes ago, PocketTim said:

Apparently it’s her daughter who does it now.  She rents out the land and makes a nice sum but still objects. 

Some people just thrive on bitterness I guess. 

Yeah it's her daughter who still tries, given the state of the UK I'm glad she has the right to object. 

Not that I agree with her points 

40 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Yeah it's her daughter who still tries, given the state of the UK I'm glad she has the right to object. 

Not that I agree with her points 

Yes I agree...however pointless the objection may be it's good to see that the beliefs her Mother championed are still being supported.  I get the feeling there was, and still is, a mutual respect between the Goode's and GFL, and long may that be the case. 

• Upvote 1