• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
On Monday, November 02, 2015 at 7:44 PM, maelzoid said:

I'd tolerate this kind of shit from a regular poster, but seeming as its a 4-post noob, I hope he gets crabs.

On Wednesday, November 04, 2015 at 7:43 AM, sime said:

There. Corrected your post for you :) x

Everyone can see what you are...I'm a good looking young man looking to have a festival rendezvous with a hot woman who's free, young and beautiful

You're an old troll, who enjoys pretending to be an alpha male online, who, for some reason...has decided to try and stop romance from taking place

Go for it..grab a granny at Glasto x

27 minutes ago, hunky_rock said:

Everyone can see what you are...I'm a good looking young man looking to have a festival rendezvous with a hot woman who's free, young and beautiful

You're an old troll, who enjoys pretending to be an alpha male online, who, for some reason...has decided to try and stop romance from taking place

Go for it..grab a granny at Glasto x

I'll let others have a pop at you for the content of your thread, hunky, where as I, regretfully, have to take issue with your grammar:

'has decided to try TO stop romance from taking place'

There really is no compund verb 'to try and'. It's 'to try to'.

Just try to use it in negative form...'decided to try not and stop romance from taking place' compared to 'decided not to stop romance from taking place'.

See?

I know that correcting grammar on an online forum is (appropriately) frowned upon, but your thread is pretty grim, and this is my most hated grammatical aberration, so I couldn't help myself.

Have a great Friday.

:)

Ben

14 minutes ago, Spindles said:

My pet grammar peeve is the incorrect use of 'of' instead of 'have'.

Btw, obvious troll is obvious.  Come back Tommmy, all is forgiven.

Well, if we're swapping grammar crimes...

Their/there/they're - ugh!

Almost no-one seems correctly to use myself/yourself.

And yes, Spindles, the of/have substitution makes my linguistic blood boil!

Ben

PS - I have plenty more of these!

Edited by bennyhana22

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Well, if we're swapping grammar crimes...

Their/there/they're - ugh!

Almost no-one seems correctly to use myself/yourself.

And yes, Spindles, the of/have substitution makes my linguistic blood boil!

Ben

PS - I have plenty more of these!

Well said Ben X

Your are hero

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

My pet grammar peeve is the incorrect use of 'of' instead of 'have'.

God damn right!

I can't be the only one who hates cuz in place of because, can I? I can live with 'cause and even cos has a certain primary school charm, but cuz is just vile.

Use of literally when the user means the exact opposite still rankles.

And I'm beginning to hate the incorrect use of seminal as well - it is not synonymous with excellent.

I guess I needed to vent.

Reading the user reviews on Amazon does this to you.

1 minute ago, Chazwozza said:

Er... It's ripostes.  Or re-posts.  Sorry Ben...

D'you know what? - I looked at that twice!

No apology needed, Chazwozza. Those in glass houses, and all that!

Another one - the cynical challenge, used by football commentators/pundits to describe an intentional foul. What?

I'm happy for people to keep on posting these! (until Neil decides that we've crossed the off-thread rubicon...)

Ben

1 hour ago, Purple aki squat said:

Pacific instead of specific makes me want to kill.

I mentioned this on another thread a little while back. I used to run a shop which, among other things, sold artists' materials. I had one member of staff who would frequently tell me a customer wanted 'a pacific size canvas'. I would tell her 'We don't stock any that big', but she never got the joke, or stopped saying it. 

The other one that bugs me is people using 'defiantly' when they mean 'definitely'. 

I appreciate that sometimes people don't know any better but the one I try to correct when teaching Creative Writing (sorry that's another peeve as all writing is creative - you don't talk about Creative Painting courses) is the misuse of the apostrophe.

An apostrophe denotes either that a letter is missing as in can't (cannot) or it indicates possession as in the boy's ball (the ball belongs to the boy) or the boys' ball (the ball belongs to the boys).

The one a lot of people get wrong is it's.  It's with an apostrophe should only be used to mean it is. However people often make the mistake with a sentence like "The cat sat on its mat."  That's correct.

"The cat sat on it's mat" is wrong because what you are writing is "The cat sat on it is mat."  The mat may belong to the cat, which makes people think it's possessive,  But it isn't.

I need to get out more......