• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Learned instead of taught and borrowed instead of lent are two of my most hated things in the whole world. 

The only thing I hate more is probably 'let's Marvin gaye and get it on.'

I know someone who says itch instead of scratch. "Don't itch that, you'll make it worse..."

I sometimes have a bet with myself when TV reporters are doing live remote two-ways (being interviewed by the studio presenter on location - for example standing outside 10 Downing Street) as to whether they'll begin their answer with the word "Well."

"So tell me Laura, what has the Prime Minister decided?"

"Well, Huw we think ......"

The well is quite unnecessary but it's a bit like an initial intake of breath and most reporters are unable to start their response without it.

I also can't understand why they need to stand the poor reporters outside in the dark and hissing rain at 10pm when the meeting finished four hours earlier just to make it all seem 'live'.

They could as easily go back to the studio and save the cost of a location crew, lighting and a transmitter.

(Now you know why I'm called Grumpyhack).

25 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I sometimes have a bet with myself when TV reporters are doing live remote two-ways (being interviewed by the studio presenter on location - for example standing outside 10 Downing Street) as to whether they'll begin their answer with the word "Well."

"So tell me Laura, what has the Prime Minister decided?"

"Well, Huw we think ......"

The well is quite unnecessary but it's a bit like an initial intake of breath and most reporters are unable to start their response without it.

I also can't understand why they need to stand the poor reporters outside in the dark and hissing rain at 10pm when the meeting finished four hours earlier just to make it all seem 'live'.

They could as easily go back to the studio and save the cost of a location crew, lighting and a transmitter.

(Now you know why I'm called Grumpyhack).

Good point Grumpyhack.

Although if you turn out not to be a yellow-toothed, chain smoking, functioning but borderline alcoholic with a fondness for cheap coffee drunk from styrofoam cups in constant hope of finding your own Deepthroat, I'll be sorely disappointed.

;-)

Not a complaint, but a question. Has the world decided on whether an emoticon should be able to end a sentence, like . ! ? can. E.g which of the below is 

I'm about to smile :) That was nice. 

I'm about to smile :). That was nice. 

I'm about to smile. :) that was nice.

I'm about to smile. :) That was nice. 

Any opinions?

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not a complaint, but a question. Has the world decided on whether an emoticon should be able to end a sentence, like . ! ? can. E.g which of the below is 

Any opinions?

I go for the fourth option when texting or WhatsApping (is THAT a word?) My teenage daughter.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Any opinions?

I use them to end sentences. Looks messy otherwise imo :)

14 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

People think it's pronounced yee oldie tea shop though. But the y was pronounced 'th' in olden times. 

13 hours ago, mr gumby said:

But was 'olde' pronounced 'oldie'? Come on Scruff, don't let us down, we need to know!

13 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I don't think it was. Not a hundred per cent sure but if I had to put money on it I'd say no. 

"Ye olde tea shoppe" would have always been pronounced as "the old tea shop".

If you need a reference, QI can do it for you.

(tho apparently, no one ever spelt 'shop' as 'shoppe')