Balance payments

skunkmedic

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

Student loan.

Although, seeing as paying my balance yesterday put me £800 into my overdraft, I guess I've probably already spent said loan before paying for  Glastonbury tickets :P

glastonbury must absolutely destroy your loan! Though I think banks lend a lot more to you lot nowadays. We used to have to go down to the corner shop and cash cheques when we ran out of cash!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, alframsey said:

So I have had issues around work paying me wages and holiday pay owed, the issues have been addressed but it turns out I won't be paid what I'm owed until next Friday. I'm gutted, I have no money and literally no way offering any to pay the balance. I'm at a loose end and have no idea what to do :(

They're awful scum, but if you know for absolute, in writing certain, that you'll get the money on the Friday, and that you'll have the excess to afford it, this is the one point that I'd consider a pay-day loan company.

Just be aware they're predatory assholes that rely on people not being able to pay the money back within a week or so, or get used to using them as a crutch. If you're sure you can avoid those pitfalls, it'll get you to the festival. Have a shower after.

9 minutes ago, russycarps said:

At the very least there should be discounted tickets for students and the unemployed.

There's only three ways to do that though:

1) increase the price for everyone else (and it's already on the narrow end of the budget for poorer employed people)

2) cut the charitable donation

3) cut the money spent on acts/infrastructure

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

1) increase the price for everyone else (and it's already on the narrow end of the budget for poorer employed people)

Yep. Ideally there would be a way to means test people and have the rich subsidising the poor. But that's out of the question so I've no problem with number 3 at all.

Would the festival really be diminished if they got rid of (say) arcadia and offered a few thousand cheap tickets?

14 hours ago, alframsey said:

So I have had issues around work paying me wages and holiday pay owed, the issues have been addressed but it turns out I won't be paid what I'm owed until next Friday. I'm gutted, I have no money and literally no way offering any to pay the balance. I'm at a loose end and have no idea what to do :(

Sorry to hear that.

If work have made an ERROR (it isnt clear from your post) then request that they pay you using the CHAPS system as the error is causing you loss due to their mistake.  It will be extra work for them - which is why they don't offer it. 

Just now, russycarps said:

Yep. Ideally there would be a way to means test people and have the rich subsidising the poor. But that's out of the question so I've no problem with number 3 at all.

Would the festival really be diminished if they got rid of (say) arcadia and offered a few thousand cheap tickets?

Nah, everyone has their own favourite bit of the festival. The deal is that if you use the "they should cut out this bit and reduce prices" then assume that this bit is your favourite part. If you're okay with that then it's a valid point. Otherwise it's just "I'm alright Jack" posturing.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Nah, everyone has their own favourite bit of the festival. The deal is that if you use the "they should cut out this bit and reduce prices" then assume that this bit is your favourite part. If you're okay with that then it's a valid point. Otherwise it's just "I'm alright Jack" posturing.

eh? I used arcadia purely as an example. You could argue that the likes of the greenpeace field and the greenfields should be ringfenced but I'd support scaling back anywhere if it meant the festival was more accessible to all.

16 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

They could do a bit of all 3, and there are more ways to fund it than just those. The festival already makes a number of decisions that place customers over profitability, such as the ticketing system and lack of sponsorship, so it wouldn't be a complete shock if they implemented something like this.

Not suggesting they should actually do it, just that I would support it if they decided to implement it.

Edited by blackred

22 minutes ago, russycarps said:

At the very least there should be discounted tickets for students and the unemployed.

Having been there,  Glastonbury or any other luxury was just about the last thing on my mind when I was unemployed and skint, I was more concerned with eating and keeping a roof over my head.

Just now, Smeble said:

Having been there,  Glastonbury or any other luxury was just about the last thing on my mind when I was unemployed and skint, I was more concerned with eating and keeping a roof over my head.

really? I was more concerned with getting off my face. Glastonbury was the highlight of my year and being unemployed was no big deal at all. But then I had no responsibilities whatsoever back then.

3 hours ago, Smeble said:

Wouldn't it be nice if amongst all the worry you got a free/cheap ticket. I went to Glasto a couple of times while unemployed.

Edited by Bradders

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

They're awful scum, but if you know for absolute, in writing certain, that you'll get the money on the Friday, and that you'll have the excess to afford it, this is the one point that I'd consider a pay-day loan company.

Just be aware they're predatory assholes that rely on people not being able to pay the money back within a week or so, or get used to using them as a crutch. If you're sure you can avoid those pitfalls, it'll get you to the festival. Have a shower after.

@alframsey it also affects credit rating even if you pay back on time!

Edited by gerardfenton18

Just now, Will-2609 said:

I assume so as I only entered my address and all it has for the other people I paid for is their postcode.

Yeah, pretty sure it was the same last year and they all came to me. Just wanted to check as one of my group has moved since his registration.

1 hour ago, gerardfenton18 said:

@alframsey it also affects credit rating even if you pay back on time!

Well yeah, but in a positive way, surely? Credit rating is about how likely you are to pay back on time. The people with the best credit ratings are those that have borrowed loads and never missed a repayment. Those that have never had a credit card or loan generally have awful credit ratings, as there's no demonstration of them being 'good customers'.

4 minutes ago, Waapster said:

It is but don't forget and don't leave it too late in case your PC/wifi etc plays up.

And don't forget...

Cheers, it's the worry of the rest of my group not paying that's getting me :(

4 have 100% dropped out so don't want to pay until someone else does just incase- that being said is there "refund deadline" or after you've paid is that you 100% going