outlinereality

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, outlinereality said:

Phone won't let me edit, but to add:

ME said no Radiohead this year

Still doesn't rule it out imo. If they are doing a secret set or the much ballyhooed 'special guests' deal happens, he's hardly going to confirm they are playing. It would be like saying 'yeah dude, Libertines are totally playing this year' when there's a big fat 'TBA' on the main stage.

Just now, arcade fireman said:

Yeah I'm not that bothered about another secret set this year. I am however bothered about an all-conquering Pyramid Stage appearance next year. 

only thing that puts a dampener on this is that they're doing a load of festival dates this year, so unless they plan on doing another handful next year as well as the no doubt arena/bigger tour dates, then it looks a little less likely. hopefully it'll be a similar situation to Muse this year and they'll just be booked a year late

I feel sad but also excited about this seemingly definite move to a new site in 2018. If Michael said that, (I know, he can be prone to exaggeration sometimes), and meant it, then I guess it is happening. It won't be Glastonbury. No Stone Circle, no Healing Field, no Pyramid Field etc. So I'm sad that this will be lost. But excited for whatever they, I presume, already have planned.

One things for certain, even more than ever, I will not be taking this years Glastonbury for granted one bit.

4 minutes ago, sime said:

I feel sad but also excited about this seemingly definite move to a new site in 2018. If Michael said that, (I know, he can be prone to exaggeration sometimes), and meant it, then I guess it is happening. It won't be Glastonbury. No Stone Circle, no Healing Field, no Pyramid Field etc. So I'm sad that this will be lost. But excited for whatever they, I presume, already have planned.

One things for certain, even more than ever, I will not be taking this years Glastonbury for granted one bit.

Only for a year though, on a year when we wouldn't have had a Glastonbury anyway.

11 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

I dont think Michael would give any lineup info away, hes not naive enough to think hed be speaking in total confidence esp in this information age so id take anything he may have said on the lineup with a pinch of salt for sure.

erm actually michael has been known to let bits of info slip and these question and answer sessions are just the kind of place it has happened !! I speak from experience of witnessing it

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

erm actually michael has been known to let bits of info slip and these question and answer sessions are just the kind of place it has happened !! I speak from experience of witnessing it

the fact that he seemingly let slip that Metallica were playing after somebody bumped in to him in a supermarket and asked still blows my mind. was pretty far in advance as well if i remember correctly

6 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Only for a year though, on a year when we wouldn't have had a Glastonbury anyway.

Hope you are right. With all the hassle he gets from the other farmers wanting more money to use their land and the pissing in the hedge issues, I can't help wondering if this new location will be a trial run for a permanent move.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

the fact that he seemingly let slip that Metallica were playing after somebody bumped in to him in a supermarket and asked still blows my mind. was pretty far in advance as well if i remember correctly

Oh I'd forgotten about that, pretty sure it was as early as December. Don't think anyone seriously picked up on it until Q mentioned something about there being a rumour Metallica would play a month or two later.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

He probably figured that the worst that would happen is that person would go online, tell the story and no one would believe them! 

Not that I want a fallow year but it's my chance to go and explore, went to bennicassim last time and splashed out on a nice holiday.  The prospect of missing something similar to Glastonbury can't be tolerated. Can't afford to do both unfortunately.

This is a bit out there but: rather than a permanent move, or a second different festival...

What about the same festival, of the same size, on the same weekend? With acts rotating like Reading/Leeds?

If demand on ticket day really is that high that the festival could sell out twice, well why not do that?

There'd be differences obviously. Food vendors, permanent installations like Arcadia etc. can't be in two places at once. But you could theme them a bit differently. Or make one cheaper and have just the main stages.

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

This is a bit out there but: rather than a permanent move, or a second different festival...

What about the same festival, of the same size, on the same weekend? With acts rotating like Reading/Leeds?

If demand on ticket day really is that high that the festival could sell out twice, well why not do that?

There'd be differences obviously. Food vendors, permanent installations like Arcadia etc. can't be in two places at once. But you could theme them a bit differently. Or make one cheaper and have just the main stages.

Neil mentioned earlier that most acts aren't too keen on committing to two dates, it's hard enough convincing them to sign up for one which would make this an non-starter. 

I think using the fallow year to try out a different site is an inspired idea. Its a no lose situation for 2018.

I'm all against the idea of a move personally just because of the festivals (and my own) history there. But who knows? The entire disparate teams that put the whole thing together clearly know what they are doing and perhaps we (this forum) should show some faith in them.

If it is Longleat though, I hope it is well away from the monkeys, hippos and lions. For their sake, not the revellers.

38 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Mirroring Glastonbury on a new site for one year is one thing, but duplicating it?? 

Michael said he likes the fallow years less and less because he knows he's getting on a bit and doesn't want a miss a year 'just incase'. 

That made me very sad to hear! 

In regards to this other site, he said the festival office will still be where it is and the staff will be bussed to the other site each morning.

2 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Neil mentioned earlier that most acts aren't too keen on committing to two dates, it's hard enough convincing them to sign up for one which would make this an non-starter. 

Well the interesting thing about having a split site just 20 miles means you wouldn't necessarily have to. Acts could play on the same day, though it'd be tricky for the stages that pre-load the rigs at the moment.

I can't help but think that only applies to the big acts for whom money isn't really an object too. Most acts would surely prefer two gigs on consecutive days, 20 miles apart, for twice the money.

2 hours ago, McCor said:

Mirroring Glastonbury on a new site for one year is one thing, but duplicating it?? 

Well the ideal solution would be to grow the site and increase the capacity to match demand. It seems clear that's what Michael would do if he could.cBut that's not feasible for various reasons. This would be the closest thing.