Michael in Pilton tonight

outlinereality

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, sime said:

Hope you are right. With all the hassle he gets from the other farmers wanting more money to use their land and the pissing in the hedge issues, I can't help wondering if this new location will be a trial run for a permanent move.

This is what I fear it will be :(

Beginning of the end for me I feel - need to doubly enjoy this year and next

8 hours ago, outlinereality said:

Phone won't let me edit, but to add:

ME said no Radiohead this year

I'm not saying he's wrong, but he also said no Pulp the year they did their secret set. It's pretty clear he's not in the loop with everything nowadays.

I remain sided with what I've heard, and not without good reason - tho I accept it could be wrong.

regarding the 'move' ... word I'm hearing is that Michael is keener on it than others, so he'll be perhaps likely to talk it up a bit more than it deserves - but it appears to be a solid plan that's likely to go ahead all the same.

I'm surprised that they think they can do an event of the same size tho. While they've of course got the skills to do it, I'd have thought that the experience of doing it in a particular location counts a lot for it running smoothly as they've got to know how people-movements interact with the site.

The closest thing to a move of this size is probably T in the Park last year, which from reports was a bit of a shambles due to the many differences in the location.

48 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The closest thing to a move of this size is probably T in the Park last year, which from reports was a bit of a shambles due to the many differences in the location.

Understatement of the year 

There was virtually no aspect of the TITP move that worked, I know they've made a lot of changes this year to try and counter the problem, but even at that I think they'll fall short of what they had before. It became apparent really quickly that the move wasn't going to work, I can't imagine how much planning goes into something of that stature and for it to completely fail, must be a big blow to the organisers 

34 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

A wee mini Glastonbury with elements of, say, The Park and the SE corner sounds workable. Trying something on the sme scale sounds, er, a tad overambitious.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps even include West Holts (as the 'main stage') if you want to go a tad bigger.

I wonder if ME is spewing a bit of hyperbole when he says it'll be the same size? It's so risky to try and literally move the whole site. What a logistical nightmare.

56 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Just hiring enough portaloos for a new venue will be a big chunk of budget, never mind anything else.  I wonder where that's coming from.  Surely not sponsorship after all Emily's done to lessen that?

This never even crossed my mind, and there must be 100 other things with similar logic, surely something of same scasle is impossible

I cannot see how 2 festivals would run over the same w'end, Glastonbury and 1 at Longleat, there is no way I can see the local authorities sanctioning that, far too much disruption to the local area, it wouldn't cope.  I love Glastonbury festival and would welcome a festival at Longleat in the fallow years, but I live in the area and even I would probably object to 2 festivals happening so closely geographically and at the same time.

9 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Still really not sure about this 2018 thing. :-(

I'd only consider attending in the same way I'd consider attending any other festival in the country. I'd be looking at the price, the line up and making a decision based on that. I certainly wouldnt think just because it's the same organisers it'll be the same festival. The festival is about so much more than just the tangible things. You cant just up and replicated that elsewhere.

The fact it will be in the shadow of an animal concentration camp is not particularly appealing either. It's bad enough having the cow torture chambers of worthy farm nearby.

Edited by russycarps

3 minutes ago, geoffboycott said:

I cannot see how 2 festivals would run over the same w'end, Glastonbury and 1 at Longleat, there is no way I can see the local authorities sanctioning that, far too much disruption to the local area, it wouldn't cope.  I love Glastonbury festival and would welcome a festival at Longleat in the fallow years, but I live in the area and even I would probably object to 2 festivals happening so closely geographically and at the same time.

Nothing I've heard has suggested the two would run at the same time.

It's one or the other. What happens with it we've yet to see.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nothing I've heard has suggested the two would run at the same time.

It's one or the other. What happens with it we've yet to see.

Indeed, sorry it was in reply to a possible suggestion further up thread. :)

Edited by geoffboycott

I love the festival and it's a very, very big part of my life - but I do suffer with some inner turmoil with regards to 'things ain't what they used to be'. I am quite determined to not be that person who gives up on it and goes on about the good old days (already lost some people on the way from our group due to this), but the thought of it moving elsewhere for whatever reason really isn't helping. :-(

Edited by Yokel Again

Once they have proved it can work they could go to more frequent fallow years when they run a festival at the new site. Maybe even every other year, probably wouldn't come to that but just the threat of it may help with negotiating fees for other farms land.

Who knows they could end up with a better site with more space and permanent infrastructure, would never be quite the same though.

Edited by I am Jon

26 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'd only consider attending in the same way I'd consider attending any other festival in the country. I'd be looking at the price, the line up and making a decision based on that. I certainly wouldnt think just because it's the same organisers it'll be the same festival. The festival is about so much more than just the tangible things. You cant just up and replicated that elsewhere.

The fact it will be in the shadow of an animal concentration camp is not particularly appealing either. It's bad enough having the cow torture chambers of worthy farm nearby.

I must say I've not done a great deal of research into safari parks, but isn't a dairy farm far worse from an animal welfare point of view than a safari park?  I'm genuinely interested if you think otherwise, since I'm only casually informed on them.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I must say I've not done a great deal of research into safari parks, but isn't a dairy farm far worse from an animal welfare point of view than a safari park?  I'm genuinely interested if you think otherwise, since I'm only casually informed on them.

Both are abhorrent but I agree with you that a dairy farm is far worse.

19 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Both are abhorrent but I agree with you that a dairy farm is far worse.

I went to a talk by one of the local farmers (runs a fairly well known food box service - hence the talk) around here a few months back. He's a vegetarian, yet he has in the last few years (since he's been put on a steering committee) realised the importance of the meat and dairy industry - without it - land would not be left as grazing and would be turned over to development (particularly under the 'Britannia Unchained' credo of the Tories) - much of the grazing lands in this country aren't good enough to hold up to the intensive arable farming we need to feed ourselves.

Without herding animals for produce - we'd have a much less green and pleasant land - and from an ecological point of view these green areas are vital. Ironically he said if we all went vegetarian (and he was firmly of the opinion we should eat much less meat) we'd end up creating an ecological disaster - I can't wait to hit the greenfields and discuss this nugget in the summer.