Michael in Pilton tonight

outlinereality

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite welcome the move it was getting a bit boring anyway,been there done that blah blah blah

At least they will have a blank canvas to restructure the site a bit better ie more camping round the late night stuff and the greenfields being in a better location

If they have it at Longleat safari park it will certainly keep out the twix element ;) 

3 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

I went to a talk by one of the local farmers (runs a fairly well known food box service - hence the talk) around here a few months back. He's a vegetarian, yet he has in the last few years (since he's been put on a steering committee) realised the importance of the meat and dairy industry - without it - land would not be left as grazing and would be turned over to development (particularly under the 'Britannia Unchained' credo of the Tories) - much of the grazing lands in this country aren't good enough to hold up to the intensive arable farming we need to feed ourselves.

Without herding animals for produce - we'd have a much less green and pleasant land - and from an ecological point of view these green areas are vital. Ironically he said if we all went vegetarian (and he was firmly of the opinion we should eat much less meat) we'd end up creating an ecological disaster - I can't wait to hit the greenfields and discuss this nugget in the summer.

Not that this post was meant for this reason but I feel you're gonna have a hard time convincing people with that argument considering animal agriculture is the biggest cause of deforestation.

Anyway, back to Eavis and his words of wisdom (or not so much depending on your viewpoint...)...

13 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

I went to a talk by one of the local farmers (runs a fairly well known food box service - hence the talk) around here a few months back. He's a vegetarian, yet he has in the last few years (since he's been put on a steering committee) realised the importance of the meat and dairy industry - without it - land would not be left as grazing and would be turned over to development (particularly under the 'Britannia Unchained' credo of the Tories) - much of the grazing lands in this country aren't good enough to hold up to the intensive arable farming we need to feed ourselves.

Without herding animals for produce - we'd have a much less green and pleasant land - and from an ecological point of view these green areas are vital. Ironically he said if we all went vegetarian (and he was firmly of the opinion we should eat much less meat) we'd end up creating an ecological disaster - I can't wait to hit the greenfields and discuss this nugget in the summer.

It's an interesting point, but I think it's flawed. So much arable land is used to grow crops to feed animals the whole argument collapses. It sounds like the sort of argument the meat and dairy industry use to justify its existence.

Working on a plan already. The Mrs can go to Centre Parcs, she loves Centre Parcs but would hate Glastonbury, I can go to the festival (maybe even pop back for use of a comfy bed, shower etc) and she can drive me home on Monday.

Sorted.

1 hour ago, geoffboycott said:

I cannot see how 2 festivals would run over the same w'end, Glastonbury and 1 at Longleat, there is no way I can see the local authorities sanctioning that, far too much disruption to the local area, it wouldn't cope.  I love Glastonbury festival and would welcome a festival at Longleat in the fallow years, but I live in the area and even I would probably object to 2 festivals happening so closely geographically and at the same time.

With two festivals on the same weekend there would be utterly horrendous traffic on major arterial routes to London, Midlands, the North. 

With regards to bands I bet they could find separate headliners but a lot of the undercard would be happy playing two sets like at R/L. (I am posting with no relevant experience or knowledge, by the way, just joining the conversation).

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Working on a plan already. The Mrs can go to Centre Parcs, she loves Centre Parcs but would hate Glastonbury, I can go to the festival (maybe even pop back for use of a comfy bed, shower etc) and she can drive me home on Monday.

Sorted.

That is a VERY good idea.

22 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Sorted.

That's exactly what we were thinking of doing if that were the case! 

39 minutes ago, Waapster said:

With two festivals on the same weekend there would be utterly horrendous traffic on major arterial routes to London, Midlands, the North. 

Yep, this, absolutely agree.  There aren't decent routes between the M4 and South Coast running North/South through the Wilts/Somerset/Dorset border region.  It's bad enough on the A303, speaking of which, rubberneckers at Stonehenge, go visit the bloody place, don't try and drive and take pics whilst going along - can you tell its a bug bear of mine ;)

1 hour ago, Waapster said:

With regards to bands I bet they could find separate headliners but a lot of the undercard would be happy playing two sets like at R/L. (I am posting with no relevant experience or knowledge, by the way, just joining the conversation).

One of the festivals doesn't have car parking. Public transport only :D I agree it's a crazy idea but Eavis is kinda crazy.

Thinking about it, without knowing exactly what he said, "same size" is hard to quantify. Maybe he meant size as in "on par with Reading/Leeds/V/TITP/IoW" - so a "premium" festival which attracts big name acts and huge headliners. But not necessarily one that has the same physical footprint.

1 hour ago, geoffboycott said:

I expect Centreparcs will be rubbing their hands at the inflated prices they can charge over the w'end too ;)

Yeah, they'll probably replace the Worthy View facility or something. <_< Though Glasto already has a number of commercial players involved, this would be a step to far for me, making it more like one of those Butlins Weekenders.

The logistics involved in making it work as smoothly as Glasto would be the main challenge I would think. After that, resistance from the locals and animal welfare lobbies might be the next obstacle. This must surely be a dry run for a permanent site move with it being touted as the same size.

Oh and that they make £10K every year from the scrap metal from left over tent pegs and that that money goes towards the staffing costs of the litter pickers. ME said he still doesn't want you to leave your tents on site though!! 

Thanks @Dukeicon

Edited by outlinereality