new here? introduce yourself

eFestivals

I’m only a recent lurker here  but I’ve found myself getting entrenched with the threads after securing a ticket in the resales. 

Last festival was 2017 and this will be my 7th (or 8?! I lost count). 

Loving all the advice but as I’m arriving on a coach for the first time a lot of things are out of my hands. Roll on June… 

Hello 

It's my second Glastonbury and first year addicted to these forums. 

I was there in 2016 and haven't managed to get tickets again until the resale last week (HOW do you lucky people get them every year?!) 

Travelling from Ireland to the festival so that creates luggage problems so I plan to be streamlined and organised! 

Bringing my husband for his first Glastonbury and I think excitement levels are even higher for me second time around because I know what a wonderful place it is !! 

17 hours ago, am00 said:

Hello 

It's my second Glastonbury and first year addicted to these forums. 

I was there in 2016 and haven't managed to get tickets again until the resale last week (HOW do you lucky people get them every year?!) 

Travelling from Ireland to the festival so that creates luggage problems so I plan to be streamlined and organised! 

Bringing my husband for his first Glastonbury and I think excitement levels are even higher for me second time around because I know what a wonderful place it is !! 

Hello and welcome am00,

Hope you have a safe, happy and sunny Glastonbury*

* - My brother once had to fly straight back to Dublin after a very wet and muddy Glastonbury, and said that the plane was covered in mud and mud clad festival goers.

PS - Remember the free lock ups for things like excess money, passports etc 🙂

22 hours ago, AshwaGandhi said:

I’m only a recent lurker here  but I’ve found myself getting entrenched with the threads after securing a ticket in the resales. 

Last festival was 2017 and this will be my 7th (or 8?! I lost count). 

Loving all the advice but as I’m arriving on a coach for the first time a lot of things are out of my hands. Roll on June… 

Welcome, any questions on the festival just ask, there’s always someone who can give an answer, though 7 or 8 festivals means you will be well versed on most things. 

41 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Welcome, any questions on the festival just ask, there’s always someone who can give an answer, though 7 or 8 festivals means you will be well versed on most things. 

Thanks @Ayrshire Chris. It's nice to be around a community of enthusiasts for sure. I definitely feel well versed but probably going to be more prepared than in previous years. I think age has caught up with me a little in the regard.

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello and welcome am00,

* - My brother once had to fly straight back to Dublin after a very wet and muddy Glastonbury, and said that the plane was covered in mud and mud clad festival goers.

Oh quick one actually with cash! 

Do most bars/food places etc take card? I so rarely use cash these days but maybe I should take some out for the festival weekend ! 

5 minutes ago, am00 said:

Do most bars/food places etc take card? I so rarely use cash these days but maybe I should take some out for the festival weekend ! 

I’d have a small reserve of cash just in case … cards should work fine 

18 minutes ago, am00 said:

Yeah, you wouldn't want to find yourself next to a nice cocktail bar or food stall that had their card machine down but not be able to purchase what you wanted for the sake of a twenty or whatever 

8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello and welcome am00,

What’s excess money? How do I get some? 

19 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if that was one of your yarns. 

Well, I do hate to disappoint on the 'blag' front, so I'll not. Well, not on the above kind of front. It would be true to say that I wasn't a participant in the crime that I am about to relay. Although, that merely means that I wasn't involved in the successful break into a Post Office and theft from the safe within it. I don't even know who was there in the premises at the time. Honest, I don't.

The thing is, I was merely the building surveyor for a very large housing association that owned a series of bedsit type accommodation, although it did have shared kitchens, toilets and bathrooms. Essentially it was rammed full of, mostly (for that is a fact) drunken Irish blokes (it was male only accommodation). Anyway, these bedsits were on the first and second floors over a Post Office on the ground floor. Anyway, i 'inherited' these bedsits when I was asked to so a sideways job relocation. So, I knew nothing of the security of the Post Office, nor of the structure and fabric of 'our' bedsits above. 

Anyway, to cut a long story short, one of the bedsits (right above the inside of the counter - the bit where the safe was) became free (i.e. the resident / tenant had gone - for reasons unknown to me. I just had the places fixed up of repairs and decorations - within budget - natch!). Then, before I could inspect it etc, some blokes accessed the bedsit, drilled through the re-enforced concrete floor (so there was one of them, I discovered. It was evidently a beam floor with an almost false timber floor above). Once they made a hole big enough they went down into the inside counter bit and then used their Kango on the safe and successfully opened it. Then they left the Post Office, our accommodation unit, and the scene of the crime.

Oh, one more thing - they apparently weren't acting alone. I say that because all around the roads near the Post Office, a series of fires were created by someone (cars, shops houses etc). It was eventually presumed that these fires were to cause an awful lot of alarms to be going off, fires to be attended to etc. This is the point where 'plod' thinks that they started using the Kango to bust up the concrete floor and the safe.* 

I don't know if they were ever caught. I know that they were seen, masked up on cctv.

I then thought that somewhere along the line that I would have to sort out the mess. Fortunately not - that was all dealt with by the Post Office's insurance company. 

* Anybody want to buy a 2nd hand Kango. Only used once!

45 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Well, I do hate to disappoint on the 'blag' front, so I'll not. Well, not on the above kind of front. It would be true to say that I wasn't a participant in the crime that I am about to relay. Although, that merely means that I wasn't involved in the successful break into a Post Office and theft from the safe within it. I don't even know who was there in the premises at the time. Honest, I don't.

The thing is, I was merely the building surveyor for a very large housing association that owned a series of bedsit type accommodation, although it did have shared kitchens, toilets and bathrooms. Essentially it was rammed full of, mostly (for that is a fact) drunken Irish blokes (it was male only accommodation). Anyway, these bedsits were on the first and second floors over a Post Office on the ground floor. Anyway, i 'inherited' these bedsits when I was asked to so a sideways job relocation. So, I knew nothing of the security of the Post Office, nor of the structure and fabric of 'our' bedsits above. 

Anyway, to cut a long story short, one of the bedsits (right above the inside of the counter - the bit where the safe was) became free (i.e. the resident / tenant had gone - for reasons unknown to me. I just had the places fixed up of repairs and decorations - within budget - natch!). Then, before I could inspect it etc, some blokes accessed the bedsit, drilled through the re-enforced concrete floor (so there was one of them, I discovered. It was evidently a beam floor with an almost false timber floor above). Once they made a hole big enough they went down into the inside counter bit and then used their Kango on the safe and successfully opened it. Then they left the Post Office, our accommodation unit, and the scene of the crime.

Oh, one more thing - they apparently weren't acting alone. I say that because all around the roads near the Post Office, a series of fires were created by someone (cars, shops houses etc). It was eventually presumed that these fires were to cause an awful lot of alarms to be going off, fires to be attended to etc. This is the point where 'plod' thinks that they started using the Kango to bust up the concrete floor and the safe.* 

I don't know if they were ever caught. I know that they were seen, masked up on cctv.

I then thought that somewhere along the line that I would have to sort out the mess. Fortunately not - that was all dealt with by the Post Office's insurance company. 

* Anybody want to buy a 2nd hand Kango. Only used once!

Out of upvotes 😂 

56 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Out of upvotes 😂 

It wasn't me. I'm sure that you knew that already. However, I'd love to be a fly on the wall during a real and successful security box burglary. Can you imagine some of the stuff you'd see in there!? I heard it said that if the police don't catch you for the burglary that the very Mr. Big's in the crime world will - as that's where they store 'stuff' - ala the "Curse of Brink's-Mat".

long time lurker and glastonbury addict. Got tickets in the resale this year on the coach from York. Based in the north east so it a long trip down! 

Totally worth it though. 

Mates got tickets on the sunday so heading down with our campervans and staying in Ashcombe.. too old to camp!

Great site full of any advice you need and here is to a great festival.. 

Glastonbury 2009/2010/2011/2013/2014/2015/2019/2022

Hello everyone! 2019 was my first Glasto and needless to say it changed my life. I was totally gutted when I wasn't able to get a ticket for 2020 originally, and about lost all hope when it was cancelled for the next two years. I was surprised that there was a resale at all but I had to at least try without expecting anything. Luck has been very kind and was able to get a ticket! After the last two years, I thought I'd treat myself to a tent at Worthy View also. Shame my friends can't make it so I'm going solo this year. Wishing everyone the best 5 days of the year!

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2022 at 12:47 PM, JoeSchmo said:

Hello everyone! 2019 was my first Glasto and needless to say it changed my life. I was totally gutted when I wasn't able to get a ticket for 2020 originally, and about lost all hope when it was cancelled for the next two years. I was surprised that there was a resale at all but I had to at least try without expecting anything. Luck has been very kind and was able to get a ticket! After the last two years, I thought I'd treat myself to a tent at Worthy View also. Shame my friends can't make it so I'm going solo this year. Wishing everyone the best 5 days of the year!

Welcome also JoeSchmo,

If you are going solo, it might be an idea to get to the efestivals meet up on Wednesday evening, and make a few friends / hang out with people. 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Welcome also JoeSchmo,

If you are going solo, it might be an idea to get to the efestivals meet up on Wednesday evening, and make a few friends / hang out with people. 🙂

I'll definitely keep an eye out for that! I'm assuming details will come up closer to the date?

2 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Do you have a ticket for this year? Might see you there!

Hello Madyaker,

No, not going this year.*  In fact, I haven't been since 2014. Not sure, but I think i may have hung my Glastonbury spurs up for good. However, I'm old enough to know that one should never say never.

* - I may enter a competition or two, and if by some crazy stroke of good fortune I get a ticket that way, I may end up going. 5 of my mates are going and it would be nice to spend time with them there once again. As I say though, it'll be down to fate.

Wishing you a fab festival. 🙂

PS - I don't know why I stay around on this site given my 'retirement' from Glastonbury. I guess it just allows me to talk the bollocks that I do. 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Madyaker,

No, not going this year.*  In fact, I haven't been since 2014. Not sure, but I think i may have hung my Glastonbury spurs up for good. However, I'm old enough to know that one should never say never.

* - I may enter a competition or two, and if by some crazy stroke of good fortune I get a ticket that way, I may end up going. 5 of my mates are going and it would be nice to spend time with them there once again. As I say though, it'll be down to fate.

Wishing you a fab festival. 🙂

PS - I don't know why I stay around on this site given my 'retirement' from Glastonbury. I guess it just allows me to talk the bollocks that I do. 

There's no point half arseing it just join a group here next year and try in the sale, you don't have to do shrooms for 5 days straight like you probably used to, just treat it like a relaxing holiday, bring a caravan etc.