Headliner predictions 2017

swede

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I can't see where Sheeran fits in, myself.

Friday is usually a big booming 'Glasto has arrived' statement.
Saturday is a 'main event' type affair.
Sunday is the big closing.

So where does Sheeran, with his one-man-and-his-guitar show fit in to any of that?

will have a new album out by then so the whole 'one man and a guitar' thing may well be a thing of the past. i think he'll be trying a few new directions and move further in to the Pharrell/hip-pop (sorry) side of things. plus, as much as i'm not a fan, if he can sell out Wembley Stadium x 3 with that set up i'm sure people will eat it up on the Pyramid and it'll go down a storm. people said similar about Adele and she managed it, and he has a pocket of far more upbeat songs than she does

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I can't see where Sheeran fits in, myself.

Friday is usually a big booming 'Glasto has arrived' statement.
Saturday is a 'main event' type affair.
Sunday is the big closing.

So where does Sheeran, with his one-man-and-his-guitar show fit in to any of that?

where do you think one of the biggest selling current artists in the world fits in?

ignoring the fact that those categories often don't fit with reality.

3 hours ago, T-Mouse said:

20 big ones on Ed sheeran at 5/1. Not bad. I'll take that. While the one new 2 returning thing was valid this year, my inkling is that this won't be the case this year. Radiohead Ed Sheeran and Foos/Roses covers all the bases really well. I can't think of another returning headliner that would be lined up apart from Radiohead. The Cure maybe?

If what Eavis said was correct, I think it's likely he was classing Foos/Roses as returning headliners. Obviously neither ended up headlining but they were booked to do so in the past and he probably wasn't thinking as much about his words as we do.

3 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

If what Eavis said was correct, I think it's likely he was classing Foos/Roses as returning headliners. Obviously neither ended up headlining but they were booked to do so in the past and he probably wasn't thinking as much about his words as we do.

yeah if you go through the list of previous headliners who haven't already done it very recently and are still able to headline you're left with Radiohead and not a whole lot else, so if we're taking Michael's word as truth (which we should probably do with caution) then Roses or Foos it is + Radiohead + a new'un

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

yeah if you go through the list of previous headliners who haven't already done it very recently and are still able to headline you're left with Radiohead and not a whole lot else, so if we're taking Michael's word as truth (which we should probably do with caution) then Roses or Foos it is + Radiohead + a new'un

Yeah, or I guess it could also mean Roses + Foos + a new one (though I do think Radiohead are by far the most likely of those 'returning' three).

Who's gonna bloody go and reunite for next year? I think if you told me a few years back that Oasis wouldn't be reunited by 2018, I'd be surprised. Also I think in the wake of noughties faves LCD Soundsystem reuniting for stupid money, trucks full of cash are waiting to be unloaded into Meg White's living room window. Circumstances wildly different of course.

I know the likelihood of any cash-grab reunion popping up on the Pyramid Stage is small, but this point in the year is where we speculate wildly ain't it?

Edited by dentalplan

who's even bloody left to reunite apart from the ones who obviously aren't doing it (your Smiths, Floyds, Zeppelin's etc)? seems like most of the big oneshave come to fruition over the past couple of years. it would take something like Daft Punk announcing they're touring to really grab my attention, otherwise there's seemingly little left (at least that seems possible to happen in 2016/17). the Coachella rumours around October are usually a good indicator of if a big act is reforming - if there ain't one topping Coachella's bill, there probably ain't one happening

There is no chance of Oasis re-uniting in the next 4 years. They've been having digs at each other again, and Liam posted a tweet yesterday saying he is up for it, but Noel wants to continue writing 'beige' music. 

I wonder how much the Other Stage headliners get. Would LCD have got paid the same as Disclosure and NO? I would have expected them to be demanding big fee's with it being a re-union tour. Would Other header get less than Pyramid sub? Any idea on this @eFestivals?

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

who's even bloody left to reunite apart from the ones who obviously aren't doing it (your Smiths, Floyds, Zeppelin's etc)? seems like most of the big oneshave come to fruition over the past couple of years. it would take something like Daft Punk announcing they're touring to really grab my attention, otherwise there's seemingly little left (at least that seems possible to happen in 2016/17). the Coachella rumours around October are usually a good indicator of if a big act is reforming - if there ain't one topping Coachella's bill, there probably ain't one happening

True enough. The biggest reunions apart fro the ones you and I mentioned would be R.E.M., Talking Heads, Genesis, Dire Straits and ABBA. The rest would be fairly smaller ones that wouldn't really make a big splash other than headlining smaller stages, I don't think. I can see MCR and original Pumpkins lineup grabbing headline slots on the reunion trail soon but obviously not at Glastonbury.

1 minute ago, Alan_C said:

There is no chance of Oasis re-uniting in the next 4 years. They've been having digs at each other again, and Liam posted a tweet yesterday saying he is up for it, but Noel wants to continue writing 'beige' music. 

I wonder how much the Other Stage headliners get. Would LCD have got paid the same as Disclosure and NO? I would have expected them to be demanding big fee's with it being a re-union tour. Would Other header get less than Pyramid sub? Any idea on this @eFestivals?

Not vastly different, I don't imagine. LCD may have got a wedge from Coachella but I think they knew they wouldn't be getting the same elsewhere. Probably almost 10x as much as they get from other places.

And yeah, I think Noel is writing a new album. Can't believe he won't have rode out his demand completely by the end of this tour, playing every field in the country, but I guess there's always clamour for his stuff.

Roses could go either way. They cannot rely on playing that same set of songs forever, and judging from those two they've released in the last month or so, the alternative is half a set of very much average records. 

On the other hand though, them songs on the Pyramid. Just once. It's got to happen hasn't it.

I'd love GnR to be there. Not a fan of all but my mate so them at Coachella and reckons they knocked it out the park. Also was impressed with Axl/DC. Doubt they'll do it for the reduced fee though.

Anyway, tempting fate here. I'm off all 2017 threads until the gods have decided my 2017 fate.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

True enough. The biggest reunions apart fro the ones you and I mentioned would be R.E.M., Talking Heads, Genesis, Dire Straits and ABBA. The rest would be fairly smaller ones that wouldn't really make a big splash other than headlining smaller stages, I don't think. I can see MCR and original Pumpkins lineup grabbing headline slots on the reunion trail soon but obviously not at Glastonbury.

Taps aff for these

Absolute radio mentioned a few months ago that talking heads are in the studio ahead of a 2017 reunion with a new album, gig wise ran the same story, I'd take that with a pinch of salt though 

Edited by swede

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

MCR on t'other stage would be some spectacle 

6 minutes ago, swede said:

Absolute radio mentioned a few months ago that talking heads are in the studio ahead of a 2017 reunion with a new album, gig wise ran the same story, I'd take that with a pinch of salt though 

Yeah I think that originated from someone stumbling on a MediaMass (parody site) article and it spread through the music news sites like wildfire. Shoddy stuff.

I've heard it on good authority that Foo Fighters will be headlining next year.

Well, I made that up. If its true that the headliners have already been booked it would make logical sense that one of them is them seeing as they had to pull out in 2015. It is quite common for festivals to try to get any act back if they cancel (assuming for good reasons) and often it is 2 years after the original booking not the next

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Who's gonna bloody go and reunite for next year? I think if you told me a few years back that Oasis wouldn't be reunited by 2018, I'd be surprised. Also I think in the wake of noughties faves LCD Soundsystem reuniting for stupid money, trucks full of cash are waiting to be unloaded into Meg White's living room window. Circumstances wildly different of course.

I know the likelihood of any cash-grab reunion popping up on the Pyramid Stage is small, but this point in the year is where we speculate wildly ain't it?

I think this is the key with comparing other reunions to LCD. No ill feeling, no issues with performing live again, and I do believe that Murphy wanted to do it again. If he didn't, explain the performance last Sunday (Christ, I only watched the stream and it looked incredible)...

Hard to see many bands who aren't in that situation. Although I guess this time last year we never saw LCD on the horizon.