Headliner predictions 2017

swede

They've not retired, but I don't think they have any plans to be active next year either.

If and when they rev back into gear again I'd reckon that they might be contenders.

We know they've turned it down previously in order to take the IOW payday, but they may feel differently next time around.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair dos. They dont have much of a stage show though so surely them doing a one-off gig is more possible than some of the names on that list above!

Though the thought of seeing that drum solo on the pyramid stage does make me feel a bit queasy.

Speaking of horrific drum solos, does anyone know how queen went down at the isle of wight festival? I'd have them headlining over most of the names mentioned already...

As with any of the mega-bands, one off gigs are a rarity due to coordinating the schedules of several multi-millionaires and their substantial crews - plus weeks of rehearsal time due to no one being as young as they once were.

IOW Queen review here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/queen-and-adam-lambert-isle-of-wight-festival-2016-review-not-qu/

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Sheeran seems pretty nailed on for the Saturday i reckon so even though Roses at 25/1 seems a good deal (and it could still come through) i think they can be confident in sticking them at those odds

Yup. I think The Roses will happen, but not on the prime time Saturday night.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

How was Ian's voice?  I know it's never been the best anyway, but truth be told that's the bit that worries me about seeing them! 

If you listen back to a recording of no one can say it was good, but it's much improved on how it used to be. Besides, you can't even hear him at these gigs, everyone is far too loud. It's about the experience itself for me and that was absolutely incredible. Might be a bit poor on TV but plenty of singers of bands are.

12 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

If you listen back to a recording of no one can say it was good, but it's much improved on how it used to be. Besides, you can't even hear him at these gigs, everyone is far too loud. It's about the experience itself for me and that was absolutely incredible. Might be a bit poor on TV but plenty of singers of bands are.

Very true.  I didn't bother watching most of the Glastonbury footage when I got back because they sounded bloody awful on telly! 

46 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Just watched Foals headlining Reading it looked bloody incredible! Better than their Glasto set, too soon for them to come back in 2017? Perhaps but definitely needs to happen after their next album.

I tuned into the Reading set and whilst they were decent, just couldn't get into it. Not sure why but ah well :lol: 

For what its worth, I think they should have headlined this year. Glastonbury used to be known for giving acts a chance!

54 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

I tuned into the Reading set and whilst they were decent, just couldn't get into it. Not sure why but ah well :lol: 

For what its worth, I think they should have headlined this year. Glastonbury used to be known for giving acts a chance!

Ive got a sneaking feeling they will headline the Friday in 2018 assuming they release their next album before then and it goes down as well as the others.

I watched them at Glasto this year after reading people on here saying they'll be future headliners and while it was good it didn't make me think they were up to the task but that Reading set changed my mind I have to say. I think they could play a better set list though. Birch Tree and London Thunder need to be in there somewhere.

On 8/31/2016 at 9:24 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

While I know what you mean, the Stones are likely to be playing Europe next summer and I dunno if there are any indications that the Roses will even be active at that point.

They've got 3 dates in Australia in December, I very much doubt they'd call it a day after that. If/when they call it a day surely it would be after a date or some dates in this country..

Anyway, I refuse to get my hopes up.. again.. 

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 4:16 PM, JonSnow said:

Ive got a sneaking feeling they will headline the Friday in 2018 assuming they release their next album before then and it goes down as well as the others.

I've seen in magazines that they are having a long break, I think the new album will drop Summer 2018 onwards.

I spoke to the bassists (Walters) mate who was in the crowd with a guest pass and he said that they are gonna have a break as they've all got women, and some even have babies. They even said 'Yannis to have a solo career' but I think he was trolling with that.

1 hour ago, Stuielooie said:

as they've all got women

:lol:

They backtracked on 'break' talk recently but I dunno if that meant they weren't having one so soon or they weren't having as long a break. They benefited last time from not having as long away but on the other hand they've barely had a long time off in their career so they could certainly afford some.

I think most of all they could do with changing up their sound quite a bit. As good as they are in parts; the last three albums were much of a muchness. No idea where that'd take them but I would be kinda disappointed if they didn't try and shake things up.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think most of all they could do with changing up their sound quite a bit. As good as they are in parts; the last three albums were much of a muchness. No idea where that'd take them but I would be kinda disappointed if they didn't try and shake things up.

aye apart from the odd 'heavier' bit that they added with the two albums following TLF, a lot of the songs were pretty interchangeable between albums, and in some cases sounded pretty damn alike (Miami and Birch Tree, Spanish Sahara and Late Night and London Thunder). hopefully they won't go down the synthy route (although that seems inevitable soon enough) but a change up would be welcome

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

:lol:

They backtracked on 'break' talk recently but I dunno if that meant they weren't having one so soon or they weren't having as long a break. They benefited last time from not having as long away but on the other hand they've barely had a long time off in their career so they could certainly afford some.

I think there is 'bridges' between the last 3 albums. TLF all quite soft and mellow. Holy fire had soft tracks, but also had things that are poppy like My Number, Inhaler and providence. WWD was then heavier heavy tracks.

Also, I saw that too, then in another article published after they said they are still having a break - and then in an interview recently at a festival the interviewer asked 'So you said you were going to have a break, but recently it has arisen that you are not going to have this break anymore and are going to go straight in to recording an album'. Yannis and Jimmy replied with along the same things of 'I don't know about the people that said that, but I definitely need a break'

2 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Probably a pisstake, but I still really want to hear Yannis and Hudson Mohawke's stuff.

Ah yes, I saw an article on this last year. Being a huge foals fan, I'm not sure what to think. Yannis has changed so much over the past 6-8 years.

Edited by Stuielooie

I'm pretty set on the idea of Radiohead, Sheeran and then either Foo's/Stones.

But, its quite likely that 3 of those could fall through - to be honest, all 4 could. For whatever reason, theres a chance that R'head, Foos and Roses may not play.

Who could be the outsiders? I'd love to see Green Day on the pyramid and with a new album out that could be likely but I'd say IOW or R+L are the more likely of destinations. Am I right in thinking that previous sets from Kings of Leon and Killers were a bit naff? 

From what Eavis said last year, 2016 and 2017 headliners were all organised and all but booked. Does make me wonder if there was a bit off a stuggle along the way though

On 31 August 2016 at 8:36 AM, DareToDibble said:

I don't know about ParryPower but when I looked last night Betfair were still taking bets on Ed Sheeran as Saturday Night headliner.

I get a page not found for the link & can't find it via Google either, just like last time I looked, but cheers 

3 minutes ago, alexwetherell said:

Green Day highly rumoured to be headlining Hurricane Festival in Germany which is the same week as Glastonbury. Must put them in the running to headline next year!? I'd be happy with that.

It'd mean they're headlining two nights of the weekend in Germany so it makes them quite unlikely. The crossover between the festivals went down dramatically when they moved to Glasto weekend. Should mean they're doing a UK fest in June though.

3 minutes ago, alexwetherell said:

Green Day highly rumoured to be headlining Hurricane Festival in Germany which is the same week as Glastonbury. Must put them in the running to headline next year!? I'd be happy with that.

there seems to be a rumour about them doing Download a couple of weeks before which seems more likely to me. can't see them ever doing Glastonbury

On 04/09/2016 at 4:06 PM, cidy said:

Regarding  the roses is the tv coverage an issue they don't seem to like there sets been shown no coverage from t in the park etc .

I definitely think that is a big stumbling block. If they are against being filmed for the fairly niche coverage of T, I can't imagine they would be down for prime time BBC. 

I think it's fairly clear that Radiohead, Sheeran and Roses/Foos are the first choice, but as we've seen a lot over recent years these things rarely pan out as expected. It's just hard to think which other acts would fill those slots if they have to start looking at 2nd, 3rd, 4th picks.