Headliner predictions 2017

swede

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I definitely think that is a big stumbling block. If they are against being filmed for the fairly niche coverage of T, I can't imagine they would be down for prime time BBC. 

I think it's fairly clear that Radiohead, Sheeran and Roses/Foos are the first choice, but as we've seen a lot over recent years these things rarely pan out as expected. It's just hard to think which other acts would fill those slots if they have to start looking at 2nd, 3rd, 4th picks. 

I don't think the festival take the bbb coverage into consideration when booking acts, think that's something happened after with discussions with the bbc and the bands 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I definitely think that is a big stumbling block. If they are against being filmed for the fairly niche coverage of T, I can't imagine they would be down for prime time BBC. 

Dunno, Saturday night at Glasto is gonna have much bigger pay offs than a T in the Park set the majority of people wont even know is being broadcast. 

And yeah, filming is the BBC's problem not the festivals. 

1 hour ago, alexwetherell said:

Green Day highly rumoured to be headlining Hurricane Festival in Germany which is the same week as Glastonbury. Must put them in the running to headline next year!? I'd be happy with that.

Maybe I'm miles out on this. But Green Day as a Pyramid headliner in 2017?

I'd consider that the weakest booking in 15 years.

Edited by incident

I understand that, but I still can't see a situation where in 2017 a Pyramid headline set is not broadcast live on the BBC. 

Either the Roses will have to change their stance, or someone else will headline. That's my take on it. In theory, if the Eavii are set on Roses playing regardless of the tv coverage, then I'm sure it could happen. I just don't see it happening.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Maybe I'm miles out on this. But Green Day as a Pyramid headliner in 2015?

I'd consider that the weakest booking in 15 years.

I think they're record is fairly impressive, and they have a very cast back catalogue that is proven to create a fantastic headline set.

Although I appreciate its not the Glastonbury norm, I wouldn't consider it a weak booking at all

2 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

And yeah, filming is the BBC's problem not the festivals. 

That's of course true, but one of the big attractions the Festival has to headlining acts is the live TV coverage ie they get a free 90 minute commercial broadcast to 4 million people on BBC2 and however many people watching highlights worldwide. That's by far the biggest reason that Glastonbury gets away with paying about a quarter of what IOW offers the top acts.

So if the Roses aren't interested in allowing TV coverage, then by far the biggest motivation for playing goes (especially as their whole reunion is essentially a money grab).

3 minutes ago, across97 said:

I think they're record is fairly impressive, and they have a very cast back catalogue that is proven to create a fantastic headline set.

Although I appreciate its not the Glastonbury norm, I wouldn't consider it a weak booking at all

I don't think the problem is that it's 'not the Glastonbury norm', I just think in 2017 there are many better live acts out there that could headline. Same goes with RHCP. Green Day are well past their prime and sound ropey as hell live, much like RHCP, and I think they like to stay away from booking acts like that. Plus they would represent poor value for money as far as a headline booking is concerned. 

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don't think the problem is that it's 'not the Glastonbury norm', I just think in 2017 there are many better live acts out there that could headline. Same goes with RHCP. Green Day are well past their prime and sound ropey as hell live, much like RHCP, and I think they like to stay away from booking acts like that. Plus they would represent poor value for money as far as a headline booking is concerned. 

I did see the RHCP headline set on TV actually from Reading, and wasn't wowed if I'm honest. I like the songs enough that I'd still enjoy it but nothing too special.

Green Day on the other hand I still think are very good live, and maybe they are past their peak, and maybe they're not as good live as they were when touring American Idiot. But I think they'd still put on a great show. I was at the Emirates at 2013 and probably in my top 5 live shows. But I can certainly see why 40 year olds running around playing 'punk' songs could be quite exhausting to watch if you're not a die hard fan

I think they'd go down quite well would Billy-Joel and the lads. I think they're much closer to a Foo Fighters type booking than any of your other stadium rawk bands and would put on a similarly good spectacle for neutrals/casual fans, providing they haven't seen them before because the live show hasn't looked to have changed in over a decade.

Sure but they exist outside that niche as well. They fill stadiums in this country and I would expect that a decent portion of those in attendance could barely name more than two other pop punk bands. Mainstream radio rock just like Foos, Muse, etc.

Not saying they'll be approached or anything but I don't reckon they're too far outside of what Glasto would look for in a headliner.

Edited by dentalplan

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Sure but they exist outside that niche as well. They fill stadiums in this country and I would expect that a decent portion of those in attendance could barely name more than two other pop punk bands. Mainstream radio rock just like Foos, Muse, etc.

Not saying they'll be approached or anything but I don't reckon they're too far outside of what Glasto would look for in a headliner.

I disagree mainly on the basis that they are well past their prime and would cost a fortune to book. Foo Fighters (as far as mainstream perception goes) are in their prime, and Muse are one of the biggest British rock bands of the past 20 years. That's what sets them apart from Green Day.

I still see them in a group of bands (along with the Chilli Peppers) that just aren't on the Glastonbury radar. Sure they are outside that niche, as you say, but I believe they would look outside of the rock/indie genre before going far enough down their phone book to contact Green Day. 

I could have seen Green Day getting a shout as a replacement for Prince during his habit of agreeing to do it then changing his mind and them having to find someone else. Unfortunately though he isn't around anymore to mess with my feelings like a girl who always hurts you but you hang onto the hope that she'll change...

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

I disagree mainly on the basis that they are well past their prime and would cost a fortune to book. Foo Fighters (as far as mainstream perception goes) are in their prime, and Muse are one of the biggest British rock bands of the past 20 years. That's what sets them apart from Green Day.

I still see them in a group of bands (along with the Chilli Peppers) that just aren't on the Glastonbury radar. Sure they are outside that niche, as you say, but I believe they would look outside of the rock/indie genre before going far enough down their phone book to contact Green Day. 

Yeah I agree with all this but I just meant that they are a band like Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Muse more than they are a big name in the pop punk genre and that the festival's history with pop punk is irrelevant when the band is this big. I think as far as how it'd actually go down they'd be much favourable to RHCP but yeah, they're in that ballpark of bands that needn't really be given a shot.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That didn't save us from Kasabian.

It didn't stop Kasabian from producing good for everything Green Day have bad since American Idiot, and I have never been the biggest fan but as a live band, they are very hard to top. Coldplay nowadays being one of the only one's who can...ignoring the crap of the past few years.