Camp Bestival

danbailey80

Sorry if there is a thread here in chat about this, I always struggle with the search tool.

I was wondering what people whom know Glastonbury, think of Camp Bestival in Dorset? My wife and I are thinking of taking our daughter (she is 2 and half) for a couple of days/ nights, we have access to a cheap ticket.

Any views/ tips appreciated..Thanks

Edited by danbailey80

This is just up the road from me, As in we can sit in my mates garden and hear the stages, I've never actually been to the fest but help set up & dismantle the WI cakes stall & had a wander around a couple of times. My friends go with their young children every year, one of which is disabled & they can't recommend it enough. It's very kiddy friendly.  I've always thought it a bit pricey myself but if I can blag it in free I will this year 

12 minutes ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

This is just up the road from me, As in we can sit in my mates garden and hear the stages, I've never actually been to the fest but help set up & dismantle the WI cakes stall & had a wander around a couple of times. My friends go with their young children every year, one of which is disabled & they can't recommend it enough. It's very kiddy friendly.  I've always thought it a bit pricey myself but if I can blag it in free I will this year 

Cheers for info. Yes I must admit I probably wouldn't go if the ticket wasn't half price, but have heard some great things. I'm definitely going thinking it's a festival for children. I loved Glastonbury's kidz field and wished my daughter was with me so am thinking this could work. 

Edited by danbailey80

6 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Cheers for info. Yes I must admit I probably wouldn't go if the ticket wasn't half price, but have heard some great things. I'm definitely going thinking it's a festival for children. I loved Glastonbury's kidz field and wished my daughter was with me so am thinking this could work. 

Mr Tumble's there.  That's all you need to know :)

2 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

IIRC you have to pay for the rides in the kids area (which seemed a bit off to me given the ticket price). Plenty of free stuff too but worth being pre-warned.

Year I heard this. So what sort of stuff do you get included for free?

My wife and I went last year and it is very geared up for children with loads of activities and as somebody else has said, Mr Tumble is there. The music side is pretty varied with a selection of stages and tents.

The only problem we found was the pretty steep hill from the car park to the camping area.

8 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Year I heard this. So what sort of stuff do you get included for free?

Sorry, I cant recall. We only went once and that was a while ago. I just recall feeling a little ripped off that some of the kids stuff had to be paid for (fairground ride stuff mostly). It's one of the reasons we didn't return, it felt more like a business venture than a festival.

We went last year with a 4 year old and an 8 year old and they absolutely loved it. We didn't get to see much music because there was so much for the kids to do. There is lots of effort into decorating the site so looks like glastonbury but as above a LOT more commercial. There were plenty of free things to do - my eldest did football training with arsenal soccer coaches, a spy camp for example. The national trust area in dingly dell is all free, there are lots of things you do have to pay for like fairground rides etc but you can do lots of things without paying.  Some things are free but you have to sign up for so have a wander round on the Thursday and check out what you want to do and sign up early. If you have a chance of cheap tickets go for it our 2 are desperate to go again so we have promised to go next year - enjoy!

We went two years ago mainly because we fancied the line up. We don't have kids but we still had a great time.

From what we saw the families were having a marvellous time. Lots of entertainment for children and plenty of decent food stalls.

I agree that the hills to the camping fields are a bit steep but they run a festi taxi service there if it gets too much (payable).

I noticed loads of people dragging there kids around in those 4 wheel barrows. I also noticed a lot of parents smuggling there own booze in this way. Shameful way of using the children but if it saves a few quid...... (ahem!).

The festival usually has a theme, not sure what it is this year but most families go all out with the fancy dress and they have a mini parade you can join on the Sunday. This was great fun to watch and the kids really seemed to love it.

If you have the offer of cheap tickets then I would definitively give it a go.  

Been the last couple of years but not going this year. Prices of everything seemed to be up last year, and this year seem to be even more so (they didn't charge for toddlers last year, this it seems there's a charge for all kids, different depending on age).  We worked out costs for going this year, and it worked out more expensive than Glastonbury!

cost aside, it is a great family festival!