Who's Touring Around Glastonbury 2017?

Gnomicide

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Well if that's true they should get him to headline. Was it really necessary for Dave and his band of merry running men to be re-booked when there were groundbreaking, relevant, exciting, non-white acts available :wacko:

And what does the colour of an artists skin have to do with anything?

43 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Was it really necessary for Dave and his band of merry running men to be re-booked

ummm .... it's very nearly 20 years since they played the one and only time they have played, when they were a pretty minor band.

While they're not a band who get me excited, I can't see where there's room for criticism of the booking on any reasonable basis. They're one of the biggest bands in the word and haven't headlined before - which can't really be beaten by any act anyone might mention.

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yes please! Was announced last year I think and nothing came of it.

What do you mean announced last year? I didnt keep up with things last year as I knew I wasnt going.

Van the man has seemingly been a popular prediction for the last 3 years as I remember everyone being pretty confident he would play in 2015, and then nothing came of it.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

ummm .... it's very nearly 20 years since they played the one and only time they have played, when they were a pretty minor band.

While they're not a band who get me excited, I can't see where there's room for criticism of the booking on any reasonable basis. They're one of the biggest bands in the word and haven't headlined before - which can't really be beaten by any act anyone might mention.

I quite like them, and they'd be a decent booking for any festival, but if there were more relevant, imaginative and exciting options of a headline size available - particularly ones which would've made an important statement in the current climate - those acts should've been booked instead. It'd probably make more sense to choose Radiohead as the offending party in this argument but I cba with the fanboys.

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 minute ago, Zac Quinn said:

I quite like them, and they'd be a decent booking for any festival, but if there were more relevant and exciting options of a headline size available - particularly ones which would've made an important statement in the current climate - those acts should've been booked instead. It'd probably be wiser to make Radiohead the offending party in this argument but I cba with the fanboys.

Who knows what statement will be made by them, Radiohead or even Red Ed?

7 minutes ago, mjsell said:

What do you mean announced last year? I didnt keep up with things last year as I knew I wasnt going.

Sorry was 2015. Eavis said he was playing and then there was no sign of him when the poster came out. Van played the G Extravaganza the following year so maybe he mixed it up with that.

More fake news from Michael.

#MGGA

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

but if there were more relevant, imaginative and exciting options of a headline size available - particularly ones which would've made an important statement in the current climate - those acts should've been booked instead.

I notice you didn't name any acts. Using that criteria, I'm struggling to think of anyone who'd meet it and that's even halfway big enough that they'd not be written off by most attendees before the Festival even started.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Michael was telling random peeps he was playing, but he was never announced. He headlined the Extravaganza, tho.

There might be something similar going on with me having heard 'the beach boys' for this year.

Just checked The Beach Boys dates, and they're back in the USA by then, so they look very unlikely.

However, i've just checked Brian Wilson's dates, and he's still playing UK dates then, and has the date of the Extravaganza free, so i reckon that might be it.

Have I given away that it's Michael who might have mentioned the beach boys to someone? Whoops. :P

2 hours ago, Lankyboy said:

Posting for the first time so don't shoot please but wanting to join the fun. Any chance of wild beasts or twin Atlantic on this years bill. Saw twin at IOW last year and managed to wake people from their Sunday afternoon slumber. Would fit in well lower down on other or JPT. Ditto wild beasts, albeit not at IOW. Both are June touring

Twin Atlantic do have a gap in their schedule so I think there's a fair chance they'll play, I'm hoping so anyways. I reckon pretty much a similar slot to last time which was late afternoon/early evening (can't remember precise slot) on Other. I don't think they've done anything with their new album to warrant a higher slot.

I appreciate that the festival has deep political roots and of course areas like Leftfield cater for those who would like to learn more about what's going on in the world but for me I come to Glastonbury to escape the politics and the noise of the outside world. It seems like for the past 18 months or so the planet has become a political timebomb, no matter where you look it dominates everything, so Glastonbury is my sanctuary away from the realities of life just for five days. I don't necessarily want my headliners to feel the need to make a political statement, I just wanna dance!

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Who knows what statement will be made by them, Radiohead or even Red Ed?

I think/hope you're being sarcastic here! With the possible exception of Radiohead, Guardian-friendly 'members of the liberal elite' who make music that's genuinely innovative and exciting, the only statement being made by those bookings is "look how successful these incredibly bland white people have become, isn't that fantastic"

4 minutes ago, incident said:

I notice you didn't name any acts. Using that criteria, I'm struggling to think of anyone who'd meet it and that's even halfway big enough that they'd not be written off by most attendees before the Festival even started.

The post I originally replied to was about Frank Ocean giving the festival a 'headline or nothing' option. I'm asking why the festival would rather play it safe with dull MOR guitar acts than take a chance on him.

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Well if that's true they should get him to headline. Was it really necessary for Dave and his band of merry running men to be re-booked when there were groundbreaking, relevant, exciting, non-white acts available :wacko:

Friday's excitement worn off already?

2 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

I appreciate that the festival has deep political roots and of course areas like Leftfield cater for those who would like to learn more about what's going on in the world but for me I come to Glastonbury to escape the politics and the noise of the outside world. It seems like for the past 18 months or so the planet has become a political timebomb, no matter where you look it dominates everything, so Glastonbury is my sanctuary away from the realities of life just for five days. I don't necessarily want my headliners to feel the need to make a political statement, I just wanna dance!

I respect your viewpoint but with the way things are at the moment I just think any liberal bastion the likes of Farage etc can't take down should be going out of their way to pointedly make a stand, for the good of the West.

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

The post I originally replied to was about Frank Ocean giving the festival a 'headline or nothing' option. 

Fair enough, I missed that - can't agree though. Frank Ocean at Glastonbury? Yes please. Frank Ocean as Pyramid Headliner? Not a chance. If they booked him to headline the Other Stage or sub on the Pyramid it'd probably be considered a bit of a stretch.