Timbuktu

Crazyfool01

wow my list keeps expanding , this is the wonder of Glastonbury , Is it wrong to stick to areas you know and enjoy ? I even enjoy the pyramid field most of the time although its often slated on this site , I love the back of beyond in the common and have been there on at least 3 nights in the past 2 years but still love it for its sheer randomness ,should I be trawling the site more ? 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

wow my list keeps expanding , this is the wonder of Glastonbury , Is it wrong to stick to areas you know and enjoy ? I even enjoy the pyramid field most of the time although its often slated on this site , I love the back of beyond in the common and have been there on at least 3 nights in the past 2 years but still love it for its sheer randomness ,should I be trawling the site more ? 

The Back of Beyond is my favorite bar on Earth, not just at the festival. If I could, I'd  be there far more often!

On 12/3/2016 at 9:23 AM, crazyfool1 said:

I wouldn't say there's a right or wrong way of doing it, but in my humble opinion (subtext: I'm right ;)) having all those areas available at Glastonbury but not going to it is the equivalent of people who love the fact that their town has a thriving Saturday market but never go and still get all their groceries from Tesco, and then wail when the market shuts down.

Given how GF changes and tweaks every year it's fair to assume that if places prove consistently unpopular then they'll start to be phased out. So I guess it is important to try the different areas available.

It works for me because I like the variety, but there are still things that aren't really for me.  Arcadia, London Underground, the Temple and others just aren't my cup of tea, but there's plenty that is.

But you're only going to know that by wandering around and having a ganders!

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:04 AM, fatyeti24 said:

The Back of Beyond is my favorite bar on Earth, not just at the festival. If I could, I'd  be there far more often!

I've never come across this place, considering I cover a hell of alot of places each year how on earth am I missing it. quick google image search says I am missing out!

I'm sure there are alot of venues heading from the say the Beats Hotel and down towards the dance areas I haven't been to, probably because from where we camp up at Michaels mead, habit always takes me across and down the other side of site. I always seem to find that way more intriguing.

Time to change that next year, I am probably missing some great places.

Never made it into the Rabbit Hole, way too popular and like many, kind of refuse to stand in a queue with so much going on elsewhere.

Spent a night up at Ancient futures this year, I like it up and around there. Was nice to see some crew bars this year, particularly liked the one by Arcadia.

Strummerville is a great place to go, if only for the most incredible views after dark.

Edited by joeltg

I suppose where I end up last at night relates to my energy levels and what I have left in reserve I don't like having to traipse across the site in the early hours but did so when I was a bit more youthful , also camping near the beat hotel means that the music is fairly loud until 3am so I try to time my heading back about then , if I'm earlier it will just mean that I have the vibrations through my roll mat so that side of the site I often find a cheesy club / bar after the headliners 

On 1 December 2016 at 2:48 PM, matt1991 said:

I've still never been to the Rabbit Hole or the Piano Bar. Although I stumbled upon the Dragon this year by accident - is the Piano Bar next to this? Other than the hidden stuff I've still never seen anything in Theatre, Circus or Cabaret, generally thinking I need to explore that area more. I always say every year I'm going to plan to see all these things and then just end up losing all plans - which is definitely best the way. 

You were pretty close, I tipped up this year, took one look at the queues and decided I had better things to do. Personally I love the idea of secret areas and believe they should move the locations every year to keep them as secret as possible. It's one of the magical things, stumbling on something you aren't expecting to find that makes for special memories. 

10 minutes ago, joeltg said:

Another place to queue! If I run out of battery I run out, time is way too precious to sit charging a phone. :)

Don't want in anyway to be that guy, but I just can't believe how long the queues are outside that place. I know people are very phone dependent now, but I'd ration use or just go without rather than waste one minute waiting there. A decent charger pack can be bought for the price of a couple of drinks now, so why not buy one that'll charge your phone 5 times and do it during the 2-3 hours you're in your tent?

Ben

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Don't want in anyway to be that guy, but I just can't believe how long the queues are outside that place. I know people are very phone dependent now, but I'd ration use or just go without rather than waste one minute waiting there. A decent charger pack can be bought for the price of a couple of drinks now, so why not buy one that'll charge your phone 5 times and do it during the 2-3 hours you're in your tent?

Ben

some of us need sat least 5 hours :)

8 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Lightweight!:D

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

You see sitting down full stop as a waste of precious minutes Benny! :lol:

On 01/12/2016 at 1:32 PM, Gnomicide said:

The chairs are all in a special little area towards the back. Not permitted anywhere else. 

They seem to have a thing about flash photography in there. As soon as anyone takes one, a little sign on a stick pops up. I get that some artists might not like it but I've never seen this anywhere else at the festival. 

When I went in to see Fisherman's Friends and hide from the rain, was sure the rows of chairs were on the left (facing stage) and at the front not the back. Didn't seem so 'little' an area to me either TBH. Someone tried to put up a chair near me in the standing area at the back on the right and got told off. 

Never noticed the flash issue. But can believe it.

It can be a bit weird in Acoustic. Not my natural home.....

seeing the thread about the best club  in the uk reminds me that its also somewhere I haven't been !! the queue puts me off but also I imagine it as really hot ? just like the club apposite with the train coming out (forgotten its name temporarily !! ), is it ? I've had to leave here before because the heat is too much !! 

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

seeing the thread about the best club  in the uk reminds me that its also somewhere I haven't been !! the queue puts me off but also I imagine it as really hot ? just like the club apposite with the train coming out (forgotten its name temporarily !! ), is it ? I've had to leave here before because the heat is too much !! 

London Underground

Been in there once, just found it kind of...dull.  But that was down to the music I think.  Planning to give NYC a go next year, which probably means it won't happen :lol:

27 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

i think it was the queue that always put me off before.  this year we went early on saturday and got straight in and stayed put for a while.  it was hot, dark and sweaty like all the best clubs should be and if you enjoy house music, it's a must.

Just now, Quark said:

London Underground

Been in there once, just found it kind of...dull.  But that was down to the music I think.  Planning to give NYC a go next year, which probably means it won't happen :lol:

Thats the one thanks , queue was moving fast so tried it but for no more than 10 mins just ridiculous heat , my glasses steamed up on entry !! and my fancy dress probably didn't help matters !!