2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

30 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

It was his personal account of which he said it - @BlakeJP I think it is or something and states they are playing a 'iconic June festival' as well as Madison Square Gardens and some shows.

Apologies, I've only glanced read the last couple of pages inbetween meetings - was there specific mention of it being a UK Festival? Otherwise, it could be Rock Werchter? If that was the case, then with The Cure already confirmed for them we're currently comfirming the Rock Werchter line up!

21 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Apologies, I've only glanced read the last couple of pages inbetween meetings - was there specific mention of it being a UK Festival? Otherwise, it could be Rock Werchter? If that was the case, then with The Cure already confirmed for them we're currently comfirming the Rock Werchter line up!

They played Rock Werchter this year so that can be ruled out. Just 'iconic June festival'. Here's the tweet:

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Where's their "special UK summer date" at? Tour's been over a couple of weeks.

Dunno but so far The Eagles are the only band to announce a date at Wembley next summer so it's wide open for them. Also a slight possibility that Spurs have booked them as the first gig in their new stadium but AM are putting off announcing it in case that gets delayed even more and they have to relocate, I guess.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

21 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

They played Rock Werchter this year so that can be ruled out. Just 'iconic June festival'. Here's the tweet:

Ah yes, so it would! Hmm, could be set for the farm next year then. I personally would see them if they do play, I missed them back in 2013 for Chic over at West Holts, for which I have no regrets  whatsoever!

2 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Stormzy played the last festival it will be at least 2020 until he will headline. It won't be 2019. I reckon 2021 since I don't think he is in the reckoning for the anniversary.

Monkeys will not miss the chance. ArcticMonkeysUS I doubt is wrong. They will play Glastonbury. Not anywhere else. 

Monkeys

Cure

McCartney

I am set on this until anything concrete comes up.

Mumford and Sons subbed the Other in 2011 then headlined the following festival in 2013. Coldplay played 7th down the Other in 2000 then headlined the following festival in 2002. If he has a new album out by next Summer and they deem him big enough then that won't stop him headlining.

And ArcticMonkeysUS didn't even say it was a UK festival. Could be Bonnaroo or something.

1 hour ago, djdavejohnson said:

Nah there wasn't.

This talk of people buying tickets because of rumours of The Cure. Has anyone outside of these forums even heard the rumours? There haven't been any articles or anything about them headlining from what I've seen. The group I go with talk about Glasto all the time and as soon as there's a newspaper article or whatever about someone playing they'll put it in our group chat. None of them had a clue The Cure were even in the running until I mentioned it to them. I even checked a Cure forum not long ago to see what their fans were thinking of the possibility of them headlining Glasto and couldn't even find one mention of Glastonbury on there. I feel like people on here sometimes think the rumours we hear from Neil are more widespread than they actually are.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

This talk of people buying tickets because of rumours of The Cure. Has anyone outside of these forums even heard the rumours? There haven't been any articles or anything about them headlining from what I've seen. The group I go with talk about Glasto all the time and as soon as there's a newspaper article or whatever about someone playing they'll put it in our group chat. None of them had a clue The Cure were even in the running until I mentioned it to them. I even checked a Cure forum not long ago to see what their fans were thinking of the possibility of them headlining Glasto and couldn't even find one mention of Glastonbury on there. I feel like people on here sometimes think the rumours we hear from Neil are more widespread than they actually are.

they've appeared in most of the speculative "this is who the headliners might be" articles i've seen.

2 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

I just wish the stone roses hadnt gone on hiatus, I was hoping Glastonbury would secure them as a headliner one of the years they had gotten back together. Can't think of better band to have a sing along too at the pyramid.

Stone Roses would never happen as headliners in the modern era as they don't allow their sets to be broadcast on TV. Can't see that happening now.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they've appeared in most of the speculative "this is who the headliners might be" articles i've seen.

Yeah but loads of bands appear in those, and often the same ones every year. Surely no one buys a ticket based on one band being in those? I'm talking about specific articles claiming The Cure are playing. Like we've had for Kylie, and like we've had for people like Radiohead, Foo Fighters and Muse who've headlined the last couple of festivals.

I've just been back on that same Cure forum and searched Glastonbury. The only two posts on the whole forum about it were (both in a thread about them doing 20 festivals in 2019):

"Hmmm, anywhere but Glastonbury for the UK."

"They will not be playing glasto as there's no chance of them being given the headliner spot. Bob don't play anywhere unless he headline. Remember live 8?"

Doesn't seem likely to me that there have been hoards of The Cure fans specifically registering for and trying to buy Glastonbury tickets based off rumours which other than on here aren't very strong/widespread.

8 minutes ago, briddj said:

Stone Roses would never happen as headliners in the modern era as they don't allow their sets to be broadcast on TV. Can't see that happening now.

This would rule out King Kenny so I hope they’re still open-minded.

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah but loads of bands appear in those, and often the same ones every year. Surely no one buys a ticket based on one band being in those? I'm talking about specific articles claiming The Cure are playing. Like we've had for Kylie, and like we've had for people like Radiohead, Foo Fighters and Muse who've headlined the last couple of festivals.

I've just been back on that same Cure forum and searched Glastonbury. The only two posts on the whole forum about it were (both in a thread about them doing 20 festivals in 2019):

"Hmmm, anywhere but Glastonbury for the UK."

"They will not be playing glasto as there's no chance of them being given the headliner spot. Bob don't play anywhere unless he headline. Remember live 8?"

Doesn't seem likely to me that there have been hoards of The Cure fans specifically registering for and trying to buy Glastonbury tickets based off rumours which other than on here aren't very strong/widespread.

Always nice to have some people on here doing research, other than reading NME. Also liked your deep dig into the social media of the daughter of the bassist.

16 minutes ago, briddj said:

7 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

This would rule out King Kenny so I hope they’re still open-minded.

Mani basically confirmed the other day that they had split up again, which we all knew pretty much anyways unfortunately.

3 hours ago, mufcok said:

I'd love it to be AM but I'm going Stormzy.. 

Taking A Star Is Born out of the equation, is Gaga still at headline level? Not that I follow her closely but prior to this film I don't remember hearing much about her for a good few years, not like I used to anyway

Bradley has spoke to Emily about a smaller set of The Park stage, Gaga subbing with a guest appearance from him is written imo.

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Woah wait. Gaga subbing the park stage? Have I inferenced this wrong. I’m tired.

Bradley Cooper confirmed he's in talks to play a secret set on the Park Stage, and obviously he'd hop up on stage for a couple of songs with Gaga if she headlined/subbed the Pyramid while he was there.

5 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

He showed a few songs at Reading this year. Neil has said that whether an act wants to be broadcast doesn't really hold much baring on whether they're booked or not.

I should hope not, although as DP alludes to it would be unusual in this day and age. Think the last one was Neil Young.

EDIT: just checked and there's Neil Young TV footage on YouTube so I dunno where I got that from.