2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

45 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It does seem there's something odd going on with the AMs at the moment - Album out last year, you'd think they'd be touring the shit out of it this summer. I still think the backlash to TBHC has stung them and they've gone back to make another AM to keep "real guitar music" crowd happy.

I think you're way off on this one. Making music of any certain nature to please people is exactly the opposite of what Arctic Monkeys are and there's plenty of evidence to prove it. Take '09-'11 for example. Humbug had a similarly divisive response but did they go and make another like their debut or 2nd? No, they changed paths completely again to create the poppier SIAS. Expect another change of course that's perfectly in line with Turner's attitude - always looking forward, serial songwriter, always trying new things. Fitting lyrics from way back:

Don't care if it's marketing suicide
We won't crack or compromise
Your derisory divides
Will never unhinge us

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Don't think this stacks up really. I don't but they would be 'stung' by it and will take an unscheduled about turn. They aren't complete idiots so knew the album was going to divide more than AM and it realistically isn't a permanent direction they will take. The critical reception has been pretty good and the gigs they did sold really well.

As for not touring, they did a fair amount of festivals last year and quite a lot of sizable gigs off the back of it in the UK, Europe and elsewhere. Just checked and it appears they are still going in Australia and South America.

Hadn't seen this. Yes, absolutely also this.

19 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Don't think this stacks up really. I don't but they would be 'stung' by it and will take an unscheduled about turn. They aren't complete idiots so knew the album was going to divide more than AM and it realistically isn't a permanent direction they will take. The critical reception has been pretty good and the gigs they did sold really well.

As for not touring, they did a fair amount of festivals last year and quite a lot of sizable gigs off the back of it in the UK, Europe and elsewhere. Just checked and it appears they are still going in Australia and South America.

I can see them taking a break after they finish in south america... they would have been touring for a year then. I would love it if they threw a Glasto slot on the end though. 

1 minute ago, The Martini Police said:

I think you're way off on this one. Making music of any certain nature to please people is exactly the opposite of what Arctic Monkeys are and there's plenty of evidence to prove it. Take '09-'11 for example. Humbug had a similarly divisive response but did they go and make another like their debut or 2nd? No, they changed paths completely again to create the poppier SIAS. Expect another change of course that's perfectly in line with Turner's attitude - always looking forward, serial songwriter, always trying new things. Fitting lyrics from way back:

Don't care if it's marketing suicide
We won't crack or compromise
Your derisory divides
Will never unhinge us

I could easily be way off, but I do think it's strange they're seemingly going back to ground so soon after releasing the album.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I could easily be way off, but I do think it's strange they're seemingly going back to ground so soon after releasing the album.

Was there not also an interview last year when they said they'd enjoyed record TBHC so much they were keen to get back into the studio straight away?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

11 months after the album vs 14 months after on the AM tour. Yeah it's still possible they might do a second set of European festivals (despite little credible suggestion they that will) to make it similar length but I don't think it's particularly strange if they don't. Looks to be a similar amount of time after compared to pre-AM albums too, if not longer.

“We’ve not quite reached a conclusion on what we’re gonna do but, I’d like to, yeah,” Turner said of an imminent return to the studio.  “I’ve really been enjoying playing this one on the road and that excitement of playing together could lead to jumping back in the studio. Whereas, like when we made this Tranquility Base one, that wasn’t coming off the back of a tour.” 

http://www.beat.com.au/music/arctic-monkeys-say-theyre-ready-return-studio-suggest-kevin-parker-produce

Maybe it wasn't as conclusive as I'd remembered but certainly was an option they were considering

Anyway with regards to headliners.... are we still going on the fact ME said "2 or 3 of the acts haven't played before" and EE said we have a "couple of guys"... Was ME just talking about acts in general or headliners? Or is he becoming a bit like Prince Philip now and just says random things? 

IF what ME said is true and what EE said is true then we have Stormzy (a bloke) but hes played before so would mean the other 2 headliners would have to not have played before and one would have to be a bloke? 

Or can we just ignore everything they say as blowing smoke up our arses to keep up guessing? 

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Anyway with regards to headliners.... are we still going on the fact ME said "2 or 3 of the acts haven't played before" and EE said we have a "couple of guys"... Was ME just talking about acts in general or headliners? Or is he becoming a bit like Prince Philip now and just says random things? 

IF what ME said is true and what EE said is true then we have Stormzy (a bloke) but hes played before so would mean the other 2 headliners would have to not have played before and one would have to be a bloke? 

Or can we just ignore everything they say as blowing smoke up our arses to keep up guessing? 

Well with the quote about 2 or 3 acts who've have played before, it's something he always says and I think I remember that it wasn't even specifically about headliners, just the bigger acts on the lineup, in which case you've already got Kylie, and he could even have potentially been including subs or whatever in that.

And on the "couple of blokes" thing it definitely sounded to me like she was saying all the headliners were male, otherwise it doesn't really make any sense to specify the male acts. So I think the remaining headliners will both be males.

10 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Well with the quote about 2 or 3 acts who've have played before, it's something he always says and I think I remember that it wasn't even specifically about headliners, just the bigger acts on the lineup, in which case you've already got Kylie, and he could even have potentially been including subs or whatever in that.

And on the "couple of blokes" thing it definitely sounded to me like she was saying all the headliners were male, otherwise it doesn't really make any sense to specify the male acts. So I think the remaining headliners will both be males.

That would would imply 3 solo male headliners? I cant see that personally. I'm taking it as 2 blokes being Stormzy + another solo bloke... they a band or group or female for 3rd act.

The Michael quote can't be true, assuming The Cure are nailed on. Could apply to the third headliner potentially (The Strokes?..) but not the other 2. Also IF Macca was on the cards for third slot, that quote couldn't be any further from the truth.

I don't think the blokes thing can be taken literally as 3 solo performers, she probably just meant it's a male trio; be that a combination of bands or bands & a solo act

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

ignore that, its likely to be rubbish. Michael makes stuff up when it's a quote like that.

Is Michael involved at all with that stuff still? Seems more about the logistics nowadays.

I recall reading that Nick does a lot of the heavy lifting as far as booking acts and pulling in major headliners, but people only beg Emily or ‘The Eavii’ (hate that term) to book their faves. :P

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

That would would imply 3 solo male headliners? I cant see that personally. I'm taking it as 2 blokes being Stormzy + another solo bloke... they a band or group or female for 3rd act.

Maybe, I just thought she means they've just got blokes as headliners.

Like, if it was Stormzy/Macca/The Cure, that's 7 blokes (I know it can't be Macca now but ignore that).

If it's Stormzy/The Strokes/The Cure, that's 11 blokes.

Same thing tbh.

Obviously the word "couple" isn't entirely accurate if this is what she means, but it's what I took it as.

Like, if she meant 2 solo males and the third headliner was a male band it'd be a weird way to say it.

"We've got a couple of blokes headlining."

"Oh, who's the third headliner then? A female?"

"No, just some more blokes."

Just now, dentalplan said:

Is Michael involved at all with that stuff still? Seems more about the logistics nowadays.

I recall reading that Nick does a lot of the heavy lifting as far as booking acts and pulling in major headliners, but people only beg Emily or ‘The Eavii’ (hate that term) to book their faves. :P

*Makes mental note to use the term 'The Eavii' more often*

57 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's basically a year isn't it of fairly constant touring? It's probably not a lot less than their previous efforts.

Didn't they also do a string of Sheffield homecoming gigs in Autumn? Wouldn't necessarily return on the same album after that

Edited by strummer77

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Like, if she meant 2 solo males and the third headliner was a male band it'd be a weird way to say it.

Well a group/band would not be another bloke :D You could change the "just some more blokes" in your sentence to "a band" and it make more sense. I think "couple" was the operative word. 

I personally think she had/has Macca lined up but it may have now fell through. 

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Maybe, I just thought she means they've just got blokes as headliners.

Like, if it was Stormzy/Macca/The Cure, that's 7 blokes (I know it can't be Macca now but ignore that).

If it's Stormzy/The Strokes/The Cure, that's 11 blokes.

Same thing tbh.

Obviously the word "couple" isn't entirely accurate if this is what she means, but it's what I took it as.

Do you think she means bands are included then?

"We've got a couple of blokes" makes it sound like they've asked on facebook if anybody knows somebody in the local area who can do headlining, are cheap and won't take the mickey, then somebody's put her in touch with their brother and his apprentice Joe. Steve and Joe, rocking up in the white van at half 8, job done by 10, good couple of blokes.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'm not sure how involved he is, but I think he's very likely to know who they're going for &/or have booked as headliners. 

Edited by eFestivals

I think we're maybe all falling into the trap of listening to the Eavis clan too much.

They often say things that turn out to be false either because circumstances change or because it was always bollocks (in Michael's case). Michael has said specific things personally to me and people I know which have turned out to be completely wrong.

• Upvote 1