2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

19 minutes ago, RaphPH said:

Just looking at the tickets and the seating plan.

The lowest price ticket is £75, which looking at the seating plan is all behind the stage apart from 2 random little blocks in the corners.

Then the next is £95 which is up in the Gods.

How can charging those costs be justified?!

1 minute ago, jparx said:

If an act hasn't played after all these years, when the tour dates seemingly put them in contention time after time, there's usually a reason ($$$)

I always think that bands like The Strokes and Kings of Leon exist in a weird hinterland, where they're no longer that big and should really be playing lower slots, but the very act of not accepting lower slots keeps people assuming that they must still be somehow, kind of a big deal in some strange respect. 

They are in no man's land. Which never moves, which never changes, which never grows older, but which remains forever, icy and silent.

I'll drink to that!

5 minutes ago, Divein said:

The lowest price ticket is £75, which looking at the seating plan is all behind the stage apart from 2 random little blocks in the corners.

It can't, and it sets a terrible precedent. I'd love to see them, but I'm not paying that, and I hope it doesn't sell and they end up giving away half the venue at a loss (loss! Who am I kidding)

5 minutes ago, Divein said:

Absolutely scandalous. Makes the £101 i paid to see the Stones in the summer seem cheap and at least I was standing and got to see them from a decent view. 

Mick Fleetwood and the rest can F**k off charging their fans that amount. Gig prices should be capped as it is getting ridiculous now. To be fair it has for a while but even more so this year. 

33 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Absolutely scandalous. Makes the £101 i paid to see the Stones in the summer seem cheap and at least I was standing and got to see them from a decent view. 

Mick Fleetwood and the rest can F**k off charging their fans that amount. Gig prices should be capped as it is getting ridiculous now. To be fair it has for a while but even more so this year. 

Unfortunately there's really no justifiable rationale for capping ticket prices. It's all private enterprise, so it really boils down to supply and demand.  So long as enough people are willing to pay the stupid prices, it'll keep happening. I'm sure that between them venues, artists and agents COULD agree to lower prices for their individual gigs, but why would they?  Ultimately these are profit-making enterprises, and their aim is to maximise.

Whether we like it or not, live music is a luxury so there wouldn't be any kind of mandate for it. Christ, look at the stink that got kicked up over capping an actual necessity like electricity!! Apart from special occasions like the Kylie tix for Mrs Q's birthday I just don't look at the big venues any more.

The only answer is to vote with your wallet. But like any election, if more are voting for something else then that's what you'll get.

It sucks, but there you have it sadly :(

1 hour ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

That is taking the absolute piss. £230 to see an aged Mick Fleetwood without Lynsey Buckingham. For that price I would expect him to be my servant for a week and offer a whip round while giving everyone that purchases the bastard a selfie, signed and a full five course meal with free tube service for a day. Absolute robbing bastard. Conservative. 

Look at the fees per ticket on the most expensive ones! £30.40 IN BOOKING FEES!

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Unfortunately there's really no justifiable rationale for capping ticket prices. It's all private enterprise, so it really boils down to supply and demand.  So long as enough people are willing to pay the stupid prices, it'll keep happening. I'm sure that between them venues, artists and agents COULD agree to lower prices for their individual gigs, but why would they?  Ultimately these are profit-making enterprises, and their aim is to maximise.

Whether we like it or not, live music is a luxury so there wouldn't be any kind of mandate for it. Christ, look at the stink that got kicked up over capping an actual necessity like electricity!! Apart from special occasions like the Kylie tix for Mrs Q's birthday I just don't look at the big venues any more.

The only answer is to vote with your wallet. But like any election, if more are voting for something else then that's what you'll get.

It sucks, but there you have it sadly :(

Valid point well made, it begs the question though, at what point does it get too much and then people start voting with their wallet because at the minute the average music fan is being priced out of going to these kind of gigs which is a travesty. There wont be many bands that will be able to demand that kind of cash in the future though unless Oasis and the like reform (imagine the ticket prices for that). When it gets to the days that live gigs are no longer a viable option for fans then something would need to be done however at the moment people pay it, my point is that very soon people won't. 

3 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Valid point well made, it begs the question though, at what point does it get too much and then people start voting with their wallet because at the minute the average music fan is being priced out of going to these kind of gigs which is a travesty. There wont be many bands that will be able to demand that kind of cash in the future though unless Oasis and the like reform (imagine the ticket prices for that). When it gets to the days that live gigs are no longer a viable option for fans then something would need to be done however at the moment people pay it, my point is that very soon people won't. 

Thing is that it's the average fan that's paying these prices!  I'm sure that a chunk of these overpriced tix are being snapped up by people who aren't that fussed but want to say they were there, or rich kids, or whatever, but a bigger chunk (and this is an assumption I'm happy to have shot down) will be people like us who see it as a one off chance to see a legendary band.

For example, outside of a gift for someone (like the Jylie tix at £75 a pop) there's no way I would have paid the £100 for the Stones.  But you did, and I'm guessing that you fell in the "one off chance" category above?

I love gigs and try to go to once a month if I can.  I just head for gigs that are around £10 - £20 a pop and make sure I get there for the support acts! So no, I'm not seeing the big names, but I get smaller more intimate venues with bands that are a bit more on the up. Double bonus is you get to play the "I saw them when they started" card :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Winslow Leach said:

I always think that bands like The Strokes and Kings of Leon exist in a weird hinterland, where they're no longer that big and should really be playing lower slots, but the very act of not accepting lower slots keeps people assuming that they must still be somehow, kind of a big deal in some strange respect. 

They are in no man's land. Which never moves, which never changes, which never grows older, but which remains forever, icy and silent.

I'll drink to that!

Totally agree. They're artificially keeping their popularity afloat. I genuinely think some people just accept bands must be popular because they're topping festivals and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. You essentially stay a big band through trucking people!

22 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I paid a lot to see the Stones at Murrayfield this year, can’t remember the exact amount. But they were supported by Richard Ashcroft, so that was nice. ??

Strolled into the stadium just as he was finishing up ??

A great evening, although one that would have been made even better if Mick and Keith had turned into the Roasting Stones for a few minutes

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

Thing is that it's the average fan that's paying these prices!  I'm sure that a chunk of these overpriced tix are being snapped up by people who aren't that fussed but want to say they were there, or rich kids, or whatever, but a bigger chunk (and this is an assumption I'm happy to have shot down) will be people like us who see it as a one off chance to see a legendary band.

For example, outside of a gift for someone (like the Jylie tix at £75 a pop) there's no way I would have paid the £100 for the Stones.  But you did, and I'm guessing that you fell in the "one off chance" category above?

I love gigs and try to go to once a month if I can.  I just head for gigs that are around £10 - £20 a pop and make sure I get there for the support acts! So no, I'm not seeing the big names, but I get smaller more intimate venues with bands that are a bit more on the up. Double bonus is you get to play the "I saw them when they started" card :D

There has to be a limit sooner or later though otherwise they will start charging even more. Its a sad state. 

Yeah i paid £100 on the Stones and that was also a gift to the mrs but i said at the time i wouldnt go as high as that again. I think other than Zeppelin which i'm pretty much sure won't happen again i wouldn't pay that price again for. The Stones were a gift but certainly put me in that category mentioned as I had never seen them (they were fantastic as well mind but besides the point)

I actually prefer the smaller more intimate gigs though and they are certainly cheaper so you definitely have the right idea. First Aid Kit at the Newcastle Academy next week will be much better and intimate than the arena where they feel detached from the crowd. 

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

I have to hold my hand up and say I very much sit in the 'one off chance' camp but this is a stretch too far. 

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I actually prefer the smaller more intimate gigs though and they are certainly cheaper so you definitely have the right idea. First Aid Kit at the Newcastle Academy next week will be much better and intimate than the arena where they feel detached from the crowd

Ah, got them at Brighton Dome on Tuesday myself! Enjoy :)

Just now, Chef said:

I have to hold my hand up and say I very much sit in the 'one off chance' camp but this is a stretch too far. 

And that's just fine, no need to guilt trip over what you feel is a viable payment! Ultimately people put a personal value on something, and the cost either sits above or below that line.

If REM reform for a one off tour, I'll be bang in that category as well :D

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I paid £100 for the Stones, but I had such a great time that night I don't feel like I've been ripped off.

Yeah I paid £180 to see Guns n Roses at the London stadium last year, best gig of my life, waited 23 years for the chance so would of happily paid more tbh.