2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Just now, strummer77 said:

I think we're maybe all falling into the trap of listening to the Eavis clan too much.

They often say things that turn out to be false either because circumstances change or because it was always bollocks (in Michael's case). Michael has said specific things personally to me and people I know which have turned out to be completely wrong.

I'm pretty damned sure that Emily plays it straight.

I'm only aware of one occasion something she's said was different to what happened (she she ruled out Stevie Wonder then he headlined that year), and she assured me he wasn't in the frame at the time she said that.

Just now, eFestivals said:

I'm pretty damned sure that Emily plays it straight.

I'm only aware of one occasion something she's said was different to what happened (she she ruled out Stevie Wonder then he headlined that year), and she assured me he wasn't in the frame at the time she said that.

Oh I agree generally - that's actually what I was thinking about when I mentioned circumstances changing. But with Macca aren't we assuming that could have happened again?

1 minute ago, sisco said:

Emily said the other day on her Lauren laverne interview that we’re lucky to have the bands we have playing.  Could be a general comment about the whole lineup but could be about the other headliners.  

that sounded to me like a "lower your expectations" comment, because it was said alongside some stuff about how they can't/don't pay full-whack.

2 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Oh I agree generally - that's actually what I was thinking about when I mentioned circumstances changing. But with Macca aren't we assuming that could have happened again?

If Macca was in the frame, then yep, things have changed. If Macca was never in the frame then who knows?

My take is that the Macca info i had was right at the time, but I'm well aware it could have been wildly wrong.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Is Michael involved at all with that stuff still? Seems more about the logistics nowadays.

I recall reading that Nick does a lot of the heavy lifting as far as booking acts and pulling in major headliners, but people only beg Emily or ‘The Eavii’ (hate that term) to book their faves. :P

I think that's right that in terms of the 3 main organisers, Nick is the most involved in the booking side - as far as I'm aware it's still Martin Elbourne who's primarily responsible for most of what happens on the biggest stages and probably would be the best person to ask (if he was actually listening that is).

Neither Martin or Nick have anywhere near the public profile of Emily (or Michael) so they don't get name-checked that often.

"couple of blokes" definitely referred to Stormzy, Macca, and the Cure. Let's be honest.

Macca has fallen through so they are going for a Plan B like with Prince/ The Who 2015; therefore I'm disregarding her comment as any fact now.

EE should have just had a couple of croaks instead. crrrrrrr.

1 minute ago, The Toad. said:

"couple of blokes" definitely referred to Stormzy, Macca, and the Cure. Let's be honest.

Macca has fallen through so they are going for a Plan B like with Prince/ The Who 2015; therefore I'm disregarding her comment as any fact now.

EE should have just had a couple of croaks instead. crrrrrrr.

It was only said like a couple of days before the person on Twitter said Macca wasn't playing anymore so I dunno about that. Would be a pretty short interval for the news to get out to the lady who tweeted it and for a tweet to come up on her timeline about Macca headlining.

34 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

It was only said like a couple of days before the person on Twitter said Macca wasn't playing anymore so I dunno about that. Would be a pretty short interval for the news to get out to the lady who tweeted it and for a tweet to come up on her timeline about Macca headlining.

Macca might never have been playing mind

3 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Macca might never have been playing mind

True but I find it unlikely that Neil heard from several reliable sources (including, I think, one of the biggest promoters in the country) that he was headlining, Emily and him both hinted at him playing on the radio, and someone on Twitter heard that he was booked and then pulled out, unless that's what happened.

Edit: Oh and he was also rumoured by Neil for BST which we heard later that he wasn't playing, suggesting he may also have pulled out of that.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

That might be right.

Tho the delay in filling the USA dates which clash with glasto are suggestive of something else being considered for that time frame.

Indeed, but I do wonder if he was close to being booked or whether Glastonbury were just perhaps aiming for him. 

For the record I do think it was likely they were after him but just thought we can't rule it out he was never in line/that close.

10 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

True but I find it unlikely that Neil heard from several reliable sources (including, I think, one of the biggest promoters in the country) that he was headlining, Emily and him both hinted at him playing on the radio, and someone on Twitter heard that he was booked and then pulled out, unless that's what happened.

Edit: Oh and he was also rumoured by Neil for BST which we heard later that he wasn't playing, suggesting he may also have pulled out of that.

A lot of the info may come from the same source though. one wrong bit of info passed on to several places.

RE the twitter stuff, I still think we still need to take her info with a pinch of salt. She may have had info but she also had the wrong day (we think). So much information seems to fly round that it could just be wrong info that lines up. She may have genuine info but we really can't be sure. (I don't think she was lying by the way)

Edited by strummer77

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

That might be right.

Tho the delay in filling the USA dates which clash with glasto are suggestive of something else being considered for that time frame.

possibly, but they've been drip-feeding those gigs all Winter, including ones well outside the Glastonbury timeframe.

he may well have been in talks and then decided not to, but these US gigs were probably arranged quite a while ago, and there's no credible reason why he would actually have been signed up to play Glastonbury, and then cancelled. far more likely to have been approached, and discussions, but him deciding not to sign-on as he was in the middle of a US tour.

Edited by ghostdancer1

3 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

It was never said to be UK, and was also said to not be Glastonbury. Most common take was that it was Bonnaroo, and the most recent rumour was that they pulled their June US dates.

Eh I like Arctic Monkeys lol.

What? I know it applies to non-headliner, where did I say otherwise? And yes I know it sometimes happens, hence why I said it could still be Arctic Monkeys. I just don't understand why you think they're likely yet told someone else The Killers are unlikely because they're not touring.

Edit: To add to this, if Arctic Monkeys were doing Glasto do you not think they'd be likely to do some other festivals around it that they didn't hit up last year? Like Benicassim?

Didn't they do an absolute shedload of European festivals last summer? Mate of mine definitely saw them in Belgium, think I saw them on the Nos Alive poster as well. 

5 minutes ago, HS94 said:

Didn't they do an absolute shedload of European festivals last summer? Mate of mine definitely saw them in Belgium, think I saw them on the Nos Alive poster as well. 

Yeah, but there are still loads they didn't so who'd be queuing up to book them if they were active around Glasto. Seems odd that they'd just do Glasto and take none of these other offers at the same time.