Best opening 3 tracks of an album

dingbat2

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, The Placid Casual said:

They have much, much worse songs earlier in their discography. Run for your Life, What Goes On and half of Beatles For Sale are a few examples.

Being a Beatles fanatic doesn't make your opinion any more valid does it? I'd have myself down as a Beatles fanatic having grown up on their music, and I fucking love MSH.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer is the physical embodiment of why The Beatles broke up. It's Paul McCartney's ego and fear encapsulated in a song. Paul had half an idea of a song, and made the band play it over, and over, and over again, for 3 days, until they got it "right". At the expense of George's All Things Must Pass.  It's a novelty song, with no artistic or musical merit. I can't and won't dispute the fact you enjoy it, but I will argue until my dying breath that it as a piece of music it is a packet of bollocks.

They say never meet your heros. Well from a personal point of view i can honestly say thats not the case
Recently met Paul Buchannan.An idol of mine for many years.
The guy was an total diamond.( he said he is almost finished more solo stuff by the way ) I hugged that man for , what was probably an uncomfortably long time.....Twice!

Anyway my selection is fom 1989.The much anticipated second album from The Blue Nile

Artist-The Blue Nile

Album-Hats

1. Over the Hillside
2. The Downtown Lights
3. Lets go out tonight

PS . Any TBN fans must listen to BBC Scotland production 'In search of the The Blue Nile'

10 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Maxwell's Silver Hammer is the physical embodiment of why The Beatles broke up. It's Paul McCartney's ego and fear encapsulated in a song. Paul had half an idea of a song, and made the band play it over, and over, and over again, for 3 days, until they got it "right". At the expense of George's All Things Must Pass.  It's a novelty song, with no artistic or musical merit. I can't and won't dispute the fact you enjoy it, but I will argue until my dying breath that it as a piece of music it is a packet of bollocks.

Upvoted purely for working "packet of bollocks" into a well worded explanation of why you don't MSH :lol:

On 29/04/2017 at 6:07 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Did you also boycott the likes of Tavares and Kool and the Gang?

Ive never listened to Tavares (that I know of) and have never really gave Kool and the Gang a try despite having a best of album somewhere so I guess the answer is yes but not because I disliked anything theyve done. 

Since mrs oneeye and me are currently listening to it (her original vinyl), half way through a bottle of tanqueray, it would have to be:

The things that dreams are made of

Open your heart

The sound of the crowd

6th form memories........

Too many albums to list:

New Adventures in HiFi, Vs, Wish you were here, Acid Rap, Sign o the times....all records that grab me in the opening numbers and transport me somewhere unique.

I'm of the Lou Reed school of thought, that an album should be listened to like reading a book or watching a film, from start to finish as a complete story rather than as a collection of songs.  Spotify can suck my soiled undercrackers.

After giving the matter careful consideration, I've concluded that Darlings / Accelerate / Fade Away from Suzanne Sundfor's Ten Love Songs is objectively the best opening 3-song salvo that exists. Other notable examples in this area include Ways To Make It Through The Wall / Miserabilla / We Are Beautiful We Are Doomed from Los Camp!, Hunter / Joga / Unravel from Bjork's Homogenic, Infinite Love Without Fulfillment / Genesis / Oblivion from Grimes' Visions, and pretty much all of SoupJohn Stevens' albums open with a perfect 3.

13 hours ago, Quark said:

This is a bastard thread; I keep thinking of others without even meaning to! Be interested to get @zero000's thoughts on this...

Adore by Smashing Pumpkins

To Sheila

Ava Adore

Perfect

Beautiful opening to a beautiful album.

Definitely a good shout, such a strong set of songs. To Sheila is a really understated, beautiful opening track - v underappreciated IMO. Ava Adore is just a brilliant song, if they'd continued in that vein the album would have been massive. Perfect is probably one of my favourite smashing pumpkins songs, somehow it reeks of naive nostalgia yet manages to retain that dose of optimism.

9/10 Quark!

6 hours ago, Superscally said:

First reply should have been The Joshua Tree and the thread closed immediately. This isn't even a debate. 

Probably fits your travels quite well! Hope the adventure's going well :)

48 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Definitely a good shout, such a strong set of songs. To Sheila is a really understated, beautiful opening track - v underappreciated IMO. Ava Adore is just a brilliant song, if they'd continued in that vein the album would have been massive. Perfect is probably one of my favourite smashing pumpkins songs, somehow it reeks of naive nostalgia yet manages to retain that dose of optimism.

9/10 Quark!

I'll take that as approval from an expert! Even outdoes Levelling The Land as my favourite album of all time, can't believe it wasn't the first one to come to mind.