Flares

jdizzle

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

how are flares and firecrackers in any way similar?

do you think people will think a flare is a terrorist with a flamethrower or something?

Are you talknig about their physical properties, the sound they make, their colours, or what they could be mistaken for?

A, B, C, or D?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love seeing flares go off in the crowd, they look mesmerising from a distance.

However when one goes off near me, I do get a fair whack of anxiety. Between the likelihood of something going wrong and the severity of it , it's something I wouldn't miss too much.

Now more than ever, all it would take is a flare to go off and someone to panic, which could turn into a potentially fatal stampede.

It's not about letting the terrorists win, it's about managing public safety and weighing up the risks

There has been a change in the law since last year. Flares are no longer just an advisory item not to bring, they are now illegal and carry a three month prison sentence for being caught with one. 

They can be dangerous in the wrong hands and the danger of using them is far greater than the pleasure of seeing them. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.timeinc.net/nme/news/flares-pyrotechnics-officially-banned-music-festivals-2032244%3Fsource%3Ddam

3 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Then take a load of flares to the festival? I bet you won't tho

why on earth would I want to waste my time doing something like that?

but I absolutely would not stop anyone else doing it.

I used to love those wax candles they used to sell. It was a beautiful sight seeing them twinkling across the site. BANNED. How has the festival been improved by that decision?

How will the festival be improved by banning flares? Because someone might get burnt or there might be a stampede. Might might might. What a cowed society we've become.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

There has been a change in the law since last year. Flares are no longer just an advisory item not to bring, they are now illegal and carry a three month prison sentence for being caught with one. 

They can be dangerous in the wrong hands and the danger of using them is far greater than the pleasure of seeing them. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.timeinc.net/nme/news/flares-pyrotechnics-officially-banned-music-festivals-2032244%3Fsource%3Ddam

Lots of things are illegal and carry prison sentences. I wonder how many of those things you do? Or do you strictly follow all the rules like a good little sheep?

What's wrong with a teeny tiny bit of almost-non-existent danger in you peoples lives?

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I used to love those wax candles they used to sell. It was a beautiful sight seeing them twinkling across the site. BANNED. How has the festival been improved by that decision?

How will the festival be improved by banning flares? Because someone might get burnt or there might be a stampede. Might might might. What a cowed society we've become.

You're calling everyone out who is okay with the ban as boring or sheep or followers or whatever, so why not create the great atmosphere you talk about and break all the rules you want others to break?

I get you want to keep the edgyness but I've had a fantastic blast every single year I've been without ever seeing a flare or a wax candle anywhere. Maybe send an email over the Glasto contact form and they'll fill you in

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

Lots of things are illegal and carry prison sentences. I wonder how many of those things you do? Or do you strictly follow all the rules like a good little sheep?

What's wrong with a teeny tiny bit of almost-non-existent danger in you peoples lives?

Public safety will be high on the agenda this year. This will be the kind of things they will be cracking down on. 

10 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Candle flares stuck in the ground to stake out people's 'territory' at the Pyramid,  just at the right height to burn small children's faces and set clothes on fire of people trying to get past?  What could possibly go wrong? No objection to people using them at places like the stone circle,  but knobs using them at the stages spoiled my experience of seeing some bands.

I'll probably make myself most unpopular but I hate them and any kind of fire work due to a horrific experience involving my 2 children when they were small.

I know they can add to the atmosphere but I have to say that I'm pretty glad they wont be too prevalent, 

If one was near me I would happily move away as it's my fear and no one else needs to suffer at my phobia 

2 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

Candle flares stuck in the ground to stake out people's 'territory' at the Pyramid,  just at the right height to burn small children's faces and set clothes on fire of people trying to get past?  What could possibly go wrong? No objection to people using them at places like the stone circle,  but knobs using them at the stages spoiled my experience of seeing some bands.

yet none of those things you've described ever actually happened in reality. It's just a figment of your imagination. Because in reality small children know not to put their faces in clearly visible fires.

banning things for hypothetical reasons is bonkers.