Litter - so much better

danbailey80

It seemed like a lot more people looked after Pennards on the way out yesterday - and I believe it has a reputation for being a state? Still a lot more room for improvement but movement in the right direction at least. Our campsite had a major love in on Sunday because someone mentioned that he noticed everyone in the group at one point picking up 'extra' litter when we were at the stages (we usually pop everything into a pile then dispose of it as we leave with anything else within a few meters) which was nice and up into that point completely unspoken.

I think a combination of better weather, better attitude of punters and possible more pickers made the whole site much nicer this year.

Big love to the litter pickers. Obviously the ground conditions helped.

I did notice Sunday night in Avalon that after the crowds had dispersed that most of the litter was in (or close to) bins (which were overflowing). People were making an effort to put stuff in bins.

Looking on the Webcam this morning the site looks a lot tidier than I expected, visibly there looks to be fewer tents abandoned.

Big hurrah for everyone.

16 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Did my worthy warrior duties up near John Peel ... people are like sheep so a bit of me starting to clear encouraged a few others field starting to look great .. just one tent I didn't fancy clearing !!

IMG_3381.jpg

We were at the mid-Pennards one of the expanded number of these this year across other campsites and it was kept pretty spotless by the team.

On 2017-6-26 at 6:35 PM, deebeedoobee said:

Just seen @guypjfreak on local news when they were talking about the clear up operation. He walked up, hugged the litter picker and walked off out of shot

Soz did not get a chance to catch up with you guys xx

On 2017-6-26 at 6:35 PM, deebeedoobee said:

Just seen @guypjfreak on local news when they were talking about the clear up operation. He walked up, hugged the litter picker and walked off out of shot

Oooo oo please find.. So that's once on worthy radio.. Twice on TV.. Woohoo famous... Good bye all I'll pop back in a year or so. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 

3 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Oooo oo please find.. So that's once on worthy radio.. Twice on TV.. Woohoo famous... Good bye all I'll pop back in a year or so. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 

Dunno how to find. It was just on local news BBC. Sorry we didn't meet up. I came to your camp bu you were not home x

Walking back through the Other field Sunday night was vastly different to two years ago. I remember being teary in 2015 and struggling to keep my footing because of the sheer amount of rubbish all over the floor. This year was a breeze - obviously still rubbish but nowehere near the quantities.

I was please with everyone in my group for the way they cleaned up after themselves. And Monday morning I did my bit and picked up as much as possible from the empty areas around us.

Despite not talking to them too much the guys next to us, who left just before us on Monday made a point of coming over and thanking us for being nice neighbours. Really made me smile.

Thought the majority of fields were much clearer of litter this year so thanks to each and every litter picker and all those that helped out.

However the one place that is always disgusting with litter (and I realise is much loved on these boards) is West Holts. How are people happy to sit, eat and drink in that filth. I walked 20 seconds to fairly empty bins but there was rubbish everywhere (inlcuding mashed in food). I don't envy the litter pickers on duty here. What is it about WH that makes the majority of people so lazy?

On 27/06/2017 at 10:47 AM, pie_and_a_pint said:

Our litterpicking team (John Peel) was the same size as last year, but we usually had the John Peel area cleared a bit earlier as there was quite a bit less litter overall (although Sunday's crowds meant there was A LOT of mess left behind, but it was mostly cans and cups). The Beat Hotel was as grim as ever, with lots of NOS canisters, but what was really lovely was the almost total lack of litter left behind in The Wood - so nice to see people respecting that area.

must have walked past you every morning to get my breakfast smoothie as you were all on break ... did keep a look out for you :)

On 2017-6-26 at 9:00 AM, phillyfaddle said:

Better at the stages deffo, but the hill below the Glastonbury sign was covered with cans on Thurs PM. Why? Rhetorical question.

Perhaps because there are precious few (if any) bins in the "above The Park" area. I just stuck my empties in my bag, but I can imagine others either didn't have a bag, or couldn't be arsed shaking out the drops for ages so they didn't get stale booze on their stuff.

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Dunno how to find. It was just on local news BBC. Sorry we didn't meet up. I came to your camp bu you were not home x

Xxxx... Never been kidnapped by two lovely ladies before lol.. Did go down down to the meeting after.. Those girls are quite pursuavive... Can't spell lol.. 

PS 

Car got back yesterday as did van thanks one and all.. 

Sawdusty James my friend sorry I didn't get to you. 

Peace and granddaughter sitting 

As said before Darble campsite was left pretty much untouched. We left a few bits and bobs in a neat pile next to our tent Friday night as we forgot to bring bin bags. Was going to get on in the morning, but someone had already tied one to the tent.

Woke up monday morning and any small stuff that was left around other campers were bagging it up.

100 percent camping there again, compared to oxylers where I have camped for 7 years it was a much better place to be generally.