Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

29 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

She was on in the early evening.

How hungover were you?

Yes well back then it was normal hungover for a sunday at glastonbury as vital, mischief making 23 year old I was.

Nowadays I think if I was hungover at 6pm on the Sunday it would mean that I’d made a mistake. A mistake for which the price would be all too high 

1 minute ago, mattiloy said:

Yes well back then it was normal hungover for a sunday at glastonbury as vital, mischief making 23 year old I was.

Nowadays I think if I was hungover at 6pm on the Sunday it would mean that I’d made a mistake. A mistake for which the price would be all too high 

I mean, I was there and it wasn’t great but it still beat watching Ed Sheeran.

Besides, how many opportunities do you ever get to see someone as iconic as Yoko Ono perform? Even if it is utterly baffling.

39 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's baffling that people were there and....not expecting abrasive art-noise.  Not sure what else they thought was going to happen.

Yes. Reducing her (a woman that has been at the forefront of performance art for most of her life and almost single-handedly spearheaded an entire contemporary art movement) to a "mad old woman that boned one of the Beatles" just plays into the entire lifelong misogyny she's been subjected to by the press, about her being just some gold-digging chancer who wanted to ruin the band.

Her work has always been uncompromising, weird, and challenging – which is something that, over the years, Glastonbury has had less and less of in its booking policy. Fair play to the festival for even getting her in the first place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Yeah. I initially found it a bit funny and thus somewhat entertaining, but after 10 mins or so and you’re just watching some old mad woman who boned one of the Beatles yelling shrill, frantic gibberish into a mic, and you’re hungover and it just isn’t great. Or good. It is in fact, very very bad.

I thought she was great

44 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Yes. Reducing her (a woman that has been at the forefront of performance art for most of her life and almost single-handedly spearheaded an entire contemporary art movement) to a "mad old woman that boned one of the Beatles" just plays into the entire lifelong misogyny she's been subjected to by the press, about her being just some gold-digging chancer who wanted to ruin the band.

Her work has always been uncompromising, weird, and challenging – which is something that, over the years, Glastonbury has had less and less of in its booking policy. Fair play to the festival for even getting her in the first place.

Lets get real, without John Lennon she’d presumably be as famous as all the other performance artists of the world such as……..

Tell me, what is different between yoko ono and my neighbour in the next flat who took up accordian(?) in lockdown and has a very slow learning curve. Both just put out unpleasant noise. The fact that Onos efforts are supposedly deliberate surely just makes it contrived, inauthentic, a lesser ’artistic’ experience. In other words, I am challenged daily by my neighbour’s din - whereas i thought Ono was just ridiculous - a joke. By her I remained unchallenged. Who is the greater performance artist?

Edited by mattiloy

10 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Lets get real, without John Lennon she’d presumably be as famous as all the other performance artists of the world such as……..

Tell me, what is different between yoko ono and my neighbour in the next flat who took up accordian(?) in lockdown and has a very slow learning curve. Both just put out unpleasant noise. The fact that Onos efforts are supposedly deliberate surely just makes it contrived, inauthentic, a lesser ’artistic’ experience. In other words, I am challenged daily by my neighbour’s din - whereas i thought Ono was just ridiculous - a joke. By her I remained unchallenged. Who is the greater performance artist?

What stage is your neighbour playing?

34 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I mean, do your own research, I'm not holding your hand and trying to explain to you why Yoko in particular is hugely influential and respected in those worlds. She's so much more than her live shows, which are a small and not very regular part of her work.

Yoko was already hugely known in the art world before she got with Lennon. The idea that she just jumped on his coat-tails is again some weird myth perpetuated by the unfair press campaign against her. Like all good working and personal relationships, they both got something out of it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

I mean, do your own research, I'm not holding your hand and trying to explain to you why Yoko in particular is hugely influential and respected in those worlds. She's so much more than her live shows, which are a small and not very regular part of her work.

Yoko was already hugely known in the art world before she got with Lennon. The idea that she just jumped on his coat-tails is again some weird myth perpetuated by the unfair press campaign against her. Like all good working and personal relationships, they both got something out of it.

I’m not saying she isn’t big in the performance art world. I’m just saying she wouldn’t be rich or famous, or performing on the park stage at Glastonbury to thousands of people if she hadn’t been John Lennon’s wife.

Because performance artists don’t tend to be well known outside of their own niche.

Thus, without boning a beatle, without the fame that brought, without the context that fame brings (of knowing she’s a performance artist) - she is reduced to, I’m afraid to say, a shrill voiced old crazy lady babbling a load of gibberish.***

If you’re into that then they’re ten a penny in any city centre, you can go down tomorrow to your nearest one say middayish, get yourself a greggs, park yourself down on a bench and just have a watch of the street scene. It won’t be long until you’re reliving the Yoko Ono experience free of charge!

*** isn’t art after all, all a matter of perspective?

CE734520-ABE6-409F-975C-1632205AEA34.gif

Edited by mattiloy

I’m fairly sure I went to see Bajafondo, a Uruguayan electrotango band, play Silver Hayes.  Me and about three other people. I went on my own. I remember thinking that anyone watching Yoko Ono was totally missing out.  I’m sure of it. Except that on the poster it has Bajafondo billed as playing on the Other Stage…

5 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

I’m fairly sure I went to see Bajafondo, a Uruguayan electrotango band, play Silver Hayes.  Me and about three other people. I went on my own. I remember thinking that anyone watching Yoko Ono was totally missing out.  I’m sure of it. Except that on the poster it has Bajafondo billed as playing on the Other Stage…

They did.  Cause I saw both them and Yoko.

5 hours ago, Tuna said:

I was down the front like a Good Yo La Tengo Fan and they mixed Yoko's vocals down pretty low so it was basically an extended YLT jam sesh where we were. 

Ira Kaplan is one of the great living guitarists.

Whatever one thought of the result, it wasn't the work of amateurs.

And YLT not then playing a late night set somewhere else was a bummer.

5 hours ago, mattiloy said:

I’m not saying she isn’t big in the performance art world. I’m just saying she wouldn’t be rich or famous, or performing on the park stage at Glastonbury to thousands of people if she hadn’t been John Lennon’s wife.

Because performance artists don’t tend to be well known outside of their own niche.

Thus, without boning a beatle, without the fame that brought, without the context that fame brings (of knowing she’s a performance artist) - she is reduced to, I’m afraid to say, a shrill voiced old crazy lady babbling a load of gibberish.***

If you’re into that then they’re ten a penny in any city centre, you can go down tomorrow to your nearest one say middayish, get yourself a greggs, park yourself down on a bench and just have a watch of the street scene. It won’t be long until you’re reliving the Yoko Ono experience free of charge!

*** isn’t art after all, all a matter of perspective?

CE734520-ABE6-409F-975C-1632205AEA34.gif

Again, what else were you expecting?

Here's Why, one of her more well known solo tracks which is basically just her, JWL, Ringo and Klaus Voorman jamming.

It's an unhinged piece of proto-punk that basically invents Pixies.  

You dont have to like it, and the less-open minded Lennon fans certainly didn't, but it's bold, avant-garde and, for its time, radical as hell. 

She did it at the G and it were triffic.