Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

On 12/24/2023 at 7:33 PM, lemons said:

Vast majority of gigs, I don't buy tickets right away and wait for cheaper resale. Or do casual bar work for bands I've seen before. Went to first proper show aged 15, hard to pay out in one go now  

Yeah I can't see myself initially going in for many gigs because the money is just too much. Hardly anyone I want to see to the cost of £80+ now that I didn't see for £40+ that wasn't a better setlist with better material. It'll be twickets and spending my money on alternative things that are more beneficial.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

My local venue has just announced that it needs to raise around 30k in the next few weeks to stay open. It's such a depressing landscape at the moment for small music venues. 

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/save-the-sound-lounge?fbclid=IwAR2nlcZBnwxPZ4VtkuduP0UHYmRwQsuDIM-KZR3muiDPY7GRXlnwhdDr_SM

Really need that French model where the big venues support the smaller ones , sadly never going to happen in this country 😞 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

My local venue has just announced that it needs to raise around 30k in the next few weeks to stay open. It's such a depressing landscape at the moment for small music venues. 

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/save-the-sound-lounge?fbclid=IwAR2nlcZBnwxPZ4VtkuduP0UHYmRwQsuDIM-KZR3muiDPY7GRXlnwhdDr_SM

very sad news. Having just lost Moles here in Bath, I empathise.

Would be nice if the big venues helped out, but don't see it happening soon.

I really wish some artists would step up, maybe those that have been through the venues on the way up. Eg. If they could get someone like Manics or Suede in to Moles, they could charge maybe £100 as a fund-raiser. Seeing bands of that scale in such a small place would be worth the cash, and would raise plenty to go towards keeping them alive.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

very sad news. Having just lost Moles here in Bath, I empathise.

Would be nice if the big venues helped out, but don't see it happening soon.

I really wish some artists would step up, maybe those that have been through the venues on the way up. Eg. If they could get someone like Manics or Suede in to Moles, they could charge maybe £100 as a fund-raiser. Seeing bands of that scale in such a small place would be worth the cash, and would raise plenty to go towards keeping them alive.

$4.50 That last Gig in Moles cost ... really not surprised they struggle sadly 😞 

3 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Well through the crowdfunder my local venue will stay open for now but I agree.  The business model is a challenge in a lot of these mission-driven venues.

That's great news. Our local venue, Exeter Cavern, survived Covid and seems to be doing OK. 
Some things have changed though, weekday gigs now seem to finish by 10-10.30 whereas before it wasn't unheard of for the band to come on at that time. Reducing the hours cuts a lot of costs. Also enables, where applicable, a club night to run afterward bringing in a second set of punters looking to have a good time and spend cash. A lot aren't in the lucky situation of being able to do that though. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2024 at 6:07 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

Really need that French model where the big venues support the smaller ones , sadly never going to happen in this country 😞 

I am more confident that something like this will happen here.  Either the arena owners and big promoters agree a way to contribute to a fund to support grassroots venues, or the Government (either this one or the next one) will make them do it.  

I think it will happen - just a case of how long it takes, and how many venues like Moles are lost in the process.  Music Venue Trust are doing incredible work to make the case for this, and the Scottish Government are already in early stages of planning to do it.

32 minutes ago, goonerben said:

I am more confident that something like this will happen here.  Either the arena owners and big promoters agree a way to contribute to a fund to support grassroots venues, or the Government (either this one or the next one) will make them do it.  

I think it will happen - just a case of how long it takes, and how many venues like Moles are lost in the process.  Music Venue Trust are doing incredible work to make the case for this, and the Scottish Government are already in early stages of planning to do it.

I just don’t see the current govt caring enough for the arts … hopefully they suprise me or we get an early election before to many more venues go to the wall 

37 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I just don’t see the current govt caring enough for the arts … hopefully they suprise me or we get an early election before to many more venues go to the wall 

We'd want Andy Burnham to get the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport job if he goes into central government at any point. Seems to absolutely love live music and he puts charity gigs on occasionally so will have already been involved with venues - I went to one at the Ritz last year for his homeless charity. 

Alongside his pressure on the Premier League around the regulation situation (not that I think football is anywhere near important enough for the government to be dealing with given everything else going on - I think he's doing that in his personal capacity as an Everton fan more than anything else!) he'd actually for once be the right person for a government job based on interests and experience. If someone like him was given that for a few years then it'd make a real difference

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

We'd want Andy Burnham to get the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport job if he goes into central government at any point. Seems to absolutely love live music and he puts charity gigs on occasionally so will have already been involved with venues - I went to one at the Ritz last year for his homeless charity. 

Alongside his pressure on the Premier League around the regulation situation (not that I think football is anywhere near important enough for the government to be dealing with given everything else going on - I think he's doing that in his personal capacity as an Everton fan more than anything else!) he'd actually for once be the right person for a government job based on interests and experience. If someone like him was given that for a few years then it'd make a real difference

He was DCMS Secretary before, from 2008-2009.  Did a decent job then, but would be a whole lot better now - with the benefit of a decade and a half's extra experience, plenty of hindsight, and a much longer list of things that are broken and would benefit from some attention.