Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

1 hour ago, JayDiesel said:

Muse supported U2 in around 2013 I believe?

2009 & 2011, but close enough.

1 hour ago, incident said:

U2 are an excellent shout for this. They've had loads of decent sized acts as support over the years, including Arcade Fire and Flo.

Plus The Killers, Kings of Leon, Snow Patrol, Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabian, Interpol, Scissor Sisters, Rage Against the Machine, Oasis, Noel Gallagher's solo-project, the Mumfords... they've had quite a few big names.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

U2 went through a phase of choosing fairly niche / in yer face support acts. I recall PJ Harvey and Fatima Mansions receiving baffled receptions before Bono and the lads.

Depeche Mode seem adept at picking ones I'm not that familiar with tbf. Maybe that's the way it goes if you're at that level.

4 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Depeche Mode were supported by The Jezabels back in 2013, that was an excellent shout.

We had Soulsavers in 2009, who I had not heard, and The Horrors in 2017, who I was aware of but only for one song.

I remember they had Chvrches at a few show in 2013. That would've been great.

10 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

At The Drive-In supporting Royal Blood at the arena was right up my alley, had a blast, but most of the crowd did not. It was definitely split into two sets of people.

I went to the Leeds gig and Omar spent the entirety of it facing the other way 😕

20 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

At The Drive-In supporting Royal Blood at the arena was right up my alley, had a blast, but most of the crowd did not. It was definitely split into two sets of people.

It really was. There was a group of dad age guys at the front for At the Drive in loving it while the kids seemed confused, then loads of excited kids for Royal Blood with the dads getting bored. 

13 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

It really was. There was a group of dad age guys at the front for At the Drive in loving it while the kids seemed confused, then loads of excited kids for Royal Blood with the dads getting bored. 

Sounds like my experience of seeing At The Drive In at Mad Cool Festival playing before Snow Patrol, where there were few people really into the pair of them.

27 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Chvrches an obvious, but excellent fit too.

All 3 of Chvrches have said they love DM, so yeah, it is very much not a stretch.

Certainly such a combo might've been easier to persuade me to trot along given how much Depeche wanted for their recent UK shows.

38 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

Remember seeing them in Cardiff on that tour, and maybe 30% of the crowd were there for ATDI. Same with Brand New supporting Biffy the previous year, a much better band as support

Just now, JayDiesel said:

Remember seeing them in Cardiff on that tour, and maybe 30% of the crowd were there for ATDI. Same with Brand New supporting Biffy the previous year, a much better band as support

I saw that combo in Birmingham in 2016 and they did have a decent chunk of people there for them, as did Jimmy Eat World opening for Frank Turner in Birmingham in 2019.

Just now, charlierc said:

I saw that combo in Birmingham in 2016 and they did have a decent chunk of people there for them, as did Jimmy Eat World opening for Frank Turner in Birmingham in 2019.

It's pretty wild looking back at it now. Brand New are one of my favourite ever bands, and they were on tour with a (by that time) fairly pedestrian mainstream rock band. Could have made the argument the following year that BN were the bigger band. 

I miss them 😞

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

All 3 of Chvrches have said they love DM, so yeah, it is very much not a stretch.

Certainly such a combo might've been easier to persuade me to trot along given how much Depeche wanted for their recent UK shows.

I remember paying £22.50 to see them in Leeds in 2013.