Formula 1

DareToDibble

34 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I nodded off about halfway through was looking like a dull one .... 

Oh I agree it wasn't an incredible race. Singapore is usually a bit more chaotic than that but it was all quite clean and professional this time.

There is an ethical quandry about Red Bull's junior team pitting Ricciardo at the end to take a fastest lap point away from Norris. Even if it seems to be in the duality of wondering if Ricciardo is now going to be let go and replaced for the final six races by Liam Lawson.

Don't think I've seen a reaction so negative to the handling of a driver's status as that of Red Bull dropping Ricciardo today. I know a lot of it has come to his media-friendliness but it's easy to forget he was great at Red Bull before his move and even then had a decent season with Renault in 2020. Plus the bizarre way they essentially gave him a last-race-by-accident at Singapore without figuring out if they actually were dropping him didn't help.

And I say this having been ok with the idea that, for 2025, his time had come and somebody else was worth a go to see if they could survive the Red Bull driver roulette.

Yeah it has been handled pretty strangely. Everyone pretty much knew Singapore was his last race but for a driver who has had a career as good as Ricciardo, being dropped after a race and not having one last official hurrah is a bit flat. 

He hasn't been great, but nor has VCARB's ridiculous strategy this year. Red Bull seem a bit desperate I think. The motivation for giving Lawson the last 6 races I'd imagine is they don't have faith in Yuki or Danny to be good enough for Red Bull, so they want to see if Liam can overperform and become front runner for when they inevitably decide to replace Perez at some point in the not too distant future. Their driver programme has always been consistently good since the late 00s but they are in a position now where if Max seeks pastures new, they don't really have a lot of exciting options and may have to look elsewhere... I think Lawson seems decent and deserves a shot, but I don't think these last 6 races are going to make the difference for him being 'ready' for Red Bull or not...