Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2019

Gnomicide

Just now, Bradders said:

Wanna explain why you believe Jay Z is responsible for the career of Beyoncé?

I'm not giving him all the credit. Her dad has an awful lot. :P

What I was getting at tho is that a large part of her success is down to very deliberate marketing acts, rather than (just) letting the music do the talking.

(that's not having a pop at her talent btw. The marketing has taken her to a level were she probably wouldn't be without that marketing, but she'd have likely had big success without that marketing.).

Every act is marketed deliberately, she’s no different to anyone else.

Edit: just to expand on that. Obviously as artists get bigger they’re exponentially marketed more, but it’s only because of her existing talent and appeal that the marketing exists. Also, I’m glad the younger generation don’t give a shit about who artists work with creatively. Obviously there are exceptions, but for the most part it doesn’t matter if an act is “manufactured” or works with songwriters, the music/product is the most important thing. A filmmaker doesn’t have to make the entire thing singlehandedly to be considered the defining artist behind the film.

Edited by Bradders
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Every act is marketed deliberately, she’s no different to anyone else.

that's just not true.

Most multi-person acts form organically from a group of mates, and don't have someone picking and choosing who the other members should be from the angle of 'what is most likely to bring commercial success?'.

I don't know the ins and outs of her career so perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that the more-recent years have been ever-so-carefully crafted by Jay-Z but I do know he's heavily into marketing and that does seem to fit.

7 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Edit: just to expand on that. Obviously as artists get bigger they’re exponentially marketed more, but it’s only because of her existing talent and appeal that the marketing exists. Also, I’m glad the younger generation don’t give a shit about who artists work with creatively. Obviously there are exceptions, but for the most part it doesn’t matter if an act is “manufactured” or works with songwriters, the music/product is the most important thing.

My Col. Tom comment was meant somewhat tongue in cheek, because while I'm of the belief that marketing has had a lot to do with the levels of her success I'm not thinking it's the sole reason for her success.

I'm far more offended by the acts where it's hugely likely they'd be flipping burgers (or something) if it wasn't for the marketing they've had.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's just not true.

Most multi-person acts form organically from a group of mates, and don't have someone picking and choosing who the other members should be from the angle of 'what is most likely to bring commercial success?'.

I don't know the ins and outs of her career so perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that the more-recent years have been ever-so-carefully crafted by Jay-Z but I do know he's heavily into marketing and that does seem to fit.

I'm far more offended by the acts where it's hugely likely they'd be flipping burgers (or something) if it wasn't for the marketing they've had.

I don’t really care how the collaborators got together. That’s like saying a relationship from a dating app isn’t as real as one from someone you met randomly down the pub. Having an problem with it being done to shift units rather than make good music is a different issue.

As far as I’m aware Jay Z hasn’t much to do with Beyoncé’s solo career but I’m not sure.

I agree with your last point, though it doesn’t offend me, they’re just irrelevant. This is what my point about some pop acts having a cultural cache, while others don’t, was about.

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's just not true.

The Beatles though. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

No way dude. Not having it. Everyone liking a little bit of everything is boring... and we wouldn’t have Wellends!

False binary.  It's possible for the barriers have dissolved to the extent that you can dig Thank U, Next, Fatou Diawara and Deafheaven - and still be able to mock Wellends.

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

False binary.  It's possible for the barriers have dissolved to the extent that you can dig Thank U, Next, Fatou Diawara and Deafheaven - and still be able to mock Wellends.

But there won’t be any more Wellends to mock. Who’s gonna be a Wellend when their music taste is spread thinly across a bunch of genres?

Classic schism between progressives and conservatives imho.  Former are getting down to Robyn while realising she's part of the same great continuum that birthed The Beatles, The Pistols, The Smiths and - yes - Oasis; the latter are gammoning on about things not being as good as they used to be and doing a Brexit on themselves by wearing Union Jack winkle-pickers and fashioning their barnet into a receding Stanley Road - era #WrongPaul style

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But there won’t be any more Wellends to mock. Who’s gonna be a Wellend when their music taste is spread thinly across a bunch of genres?

Personally, I shall not rest until the scourge of the Wellends have been wiped from the face of the Earth. I dream of the day when the last Wellend has become extinct.

(actually, i quite like ‘Wild Wood’. Can i just be put in a re-education camp for a bit?)

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

1992 says "Thank God For that."

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

Define ‘ever’?

Yeah 1992 is pretty weak. However I doubt those three were being criticised for their ability to headline a U.K. Festival

if it is the three I’ve mentioned that’s three headliners which would strike a ? with the GP. I don’t think we’ve come close to that since 2014

That there's always been terrible music is definitely true.  As with now, the key is finding the good stuff. 

That said there are probably ebbs and flows in how popular your own preferences are are - usually coinciding with when you're a teenager and first starting to properly experience life and start getting clued up about stuff beyond the copy of Queen's Greatest Hits that dad keeps in the car.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not giving him all the credit. Her dad has an awful lot. :P

What I was getting at tho is that a large part of her success is down to very deliberate marketing acts, rather than (just) letting the music do the talking.

(that's not having a pop at her talent btw. The marketing has taken her to a level were she probably wouldn't be without that marketing, but she'd have likely had big success without that marketing.).

Yeah I agree Neil. Also this is something I argue quite frequently and some people flat out disagree.

beyonce became a dominant figure in pop after she released that surprise album. She was on the way there during the “if I were a boy” period but she wasn’t the biggest act on the planet until (uniquely) quite late in her career.

she was definitely big in pop during her earlier albums. But she was never the biggest. I think a lot of people have a sense of collective amnesia around Beyoncé. Her career somewhat hit the reset button after 2013. Before this she was definitely second fiddle to many other pop girls yet many seem to forget this. I was young and listening to popular music during this time, I remember it well!

Edited by Matt42

Coachella and Primavera have well and truly thrown down the gauntlet this year, all eyes on Glastonbury now. Don't choke lads.

Ariana would've been a masterful booking by Glastonbury this year, we're in a real flashpoint with her right now. She'd really have been the headliner for our times, but I suppose you can't have everything.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

And all of us have some crap pop as guilty pleasures.

Though as the old tribalism fades away people are - or should be - less hung up about guilty pleasures and just enjoy what they enjoy.  A lot of the old divisions e.g. disco sucks were rooted in prejudices, racism that no longer hold as much cultural sway. 

I mean, imagine not listening to ABBA in case you got laughed at by someone dressed as a teddy boy.

• Upvote 1

As iconic and fantastic a performer as Beyonce has become (and who am I to throw shade on her undoubted talent anyway) part of me still feels like her marriage to Mr Carter is more of a mutually beneficial business arrangement. That was the impression I had before and after seeing the OTR II show last year. I still think she was an inspired booking in 2011 and as I think Neil might be eluding to earlier in this thread may have set the tone for the future direction of Pyramid headliners, for better or worse

43 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Shout To The Top and Walls Come Tumbling Down are dope, but I refuse to wear a beret and Breton top to show my affiliation.

An absolute banger.

I like Paul Weller & think he gets some harsh critisism on here. The  ones who call him the "Modfather" is the issue for me.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop