Dua Lipa

CaledonianGonzo

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

Not difficult to sound great when much of the music and vocals are pre-recorded, understandable to a degree when she was dancing a lot but it's a bit of a stretch to call this a live performance given the analysis here,

So Dua sounded great and Cyndi sounded sh*t, but a least she was doing it live. BTW Fil has been exposing the use of autotune , pitch correction and other fakery in the business for quite some time, you might not like this message but he is a champion of real live music.

Just watching it back and came in here to say how good it was. She's definitely singing live because there are some bum notes and a couple of points where she's a tiny bit behind the beat. I think for some songs she may have be singing over a backing track where the dancing is really heavy but if she wasn't live they went to a phenomenal effort to put fake mistakes on the backing track.

• Upvote 1

She’s definitely live.. you can hear loads of places where she’s out of breath, or not quite in tune.. her backing vocalists sounded like they had very complimentary voices to Dua’s and I think sometimes they’re filling the gaps when she’s dancing a lot.. not sure why she pretended to sing along to Elton Johns bit though in cold cold heart.. that looked silly! 

7 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Never saw this quest to discredit after Dolly's mimefest.

You did from me, I saw Dolly a few weeks before Glastonbury and realised then she was miming much of the time, I pointed it out on here and got a similar reaction, people just don't want to accept it. Dua WAS singing but her live voice was mixed with the recorded version, at least in the song Fil analysed, I expect most people are fine with that but there is no harm in pointing it out. I love The Go! Team and watched them on Avalon but they play along with a pre-recorded track so the music is not all truly live although they do sing live. It doesn't spoil my enjoyment but I do wish they would play properly live even if the overall sound wasn't as good. Acts that feature a lot of dancing have often mimed some of the show, Michael Jackson and Madonna for example and reportedly Taylor Swift recently. If you are happy with this then that's fine but if you are pretending it's all live you are just fooling yourselves.

11 hours ago, gizmoman said:

You did from me, I saw Dolly a few weeks before Glastonbury and realised then she was miming much of the time, I pointed it out on here and got a similar reaction, people just don't want to accept it. Dua WAS singing but her live voice was mixed with the recorded version, at least in the song Fil analysed, I expect most people are fine with that but there is no harm in pointing it out. I love The Go! Team and watched them on Avalon but they play along with a pre-recorded track so the music is not all truly live although they do sing live. It doesn't spoil my enjoyment but I do wish they would play properly live even if the overall sound wasn't as good. Acts that feature a lot of dancing have often mimed some of the show, Michael Jackson and Madonna for example and reportedly Taylor Swift recently. If you are happy with this then that's fine but if you are pretending it's all live you are just fooling yourselves.

I’m not fooling myself I just don’t care. I don’t go to gigs to play some old man Indie purity game. I expect where there’s a lot of dancing as part of the show they might need some help from a backing track or backing singers. 

Edited by MEGABOWL

57 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I’m not fooling myself I just don’t care. I don’t go to gigs to play some old man Indie purity game. I expect where there’s a lot of dancing as part of the show they might need some help from a backing track or backing singers. 

Definitely this, a big production show like this is not going to be just Dua’s raw vocals with no backing support, there’s 4 backing singers from what can see and sometime an extra backing track for some of the chorus sections while she’s properly going for it but even then you can hear her actual vocal really prominent in the mix and you can tell when she’s taking a breath. 

Why do people feel the need to diminish female artists achievements? She put on an amazing show, danced full on choreo the whole time, you can hear the strain in her voice when she’s properly belting it out, you can hear the change when she’s running down steps, give her credit for working bloody hard to put on an incredible show.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Pipine said:

Definitely this, a big production show like this is not going to be just Dua’s raw vocals with no backing support, there’s 4 backing singers from what can see and sometime an extra backing track for some of the chorus sections while she’s properly going for it but even then you can hear her actual vocal really prominent in the mix and you can tell when she’s taking a breath. 

Why do people feel the need to diminish female artists achievements? She put on an amazing show, danced full on choreo the whole time, you can hear the strain in her voice when she’s properly belting it out, you can hear the change when she’s running down steps, give her credit for working bloody hard to put on an incredible show.  

Perfectly summarised. Nice one.

Saw her show at Rock Werchter and I'm pretty sure it was one of the most "live" performances of any big pop star I saw so far, male of female. Backing track seemed to be there just to make everything sound bigger and fuller but 90% was live

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pipine said:

Coldplay used backing tracks too, Will definitely can’t replicate Beyoncé’s vocal even though he sings along! First verse of Something just like this is also pre-recorded while Chris signs in the alien head…but you’re right, Dua is getting grief for it and Coldplay aren’t. Neither instance would diminish my enjoyment of the show!

28 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Coldplay used backing tracks too, Will definitely can’t replicate Beyoncé’s vocal even though he sings along! First verse of Something just like this is also pre-recorded while Chris signs in the alien head…but you’re right, Dua is getting grief for it and Coldplay aren’t. Neither instance would diminish my enjoyment of the show!

Dont get the hate for either tbh ... dont like em thats fair but so many alternatives out there to enjoy , negativity is mad while you can see that 1000s of others are enjoying them .... not sure accurate numbers but arent there 100 plus headliners , plus other randoms . 

What about doing an expose of DJ's who don't DJ live and just use a pre-recorded set...............................

but then like this video of 'live' singing. Who cares.

Dua Lipa sang live 100% - I know cos she was 3 feet from me and I could hear it coming out her mouth.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

she was 3 feet from me 

Lucky sod.

What's the thought process behind this Dua hate anyway? Even if you were to prove she was lipsinking, you're still not going to get the RHCP, Oasis, Green Day trio you real rock fans crave. 

3 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Lucky sod.

What's the thought process behind this Dua hate anyway? Even if you were to prove she was lipsinking, you're still not going to get the RHCP, Oasis, Green Day trio you real rock fans crave. 

Think it’s only a couple of people amongst 100s reading this 

8 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Lucky sod.

All too many people out there in the world online seem to thrive on hating things rather than just enjoying something or if they don't like it, ignoring it.

I have no idea why they waste so much time and effort on their dislikes rather than trying to get more of what they like in their lives.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

All too many people out there in the world online seem to thrive on hating things rather than just enjoying something or if they don't like it, ignoring it.

I have no idea why they waste so much time and effort on their dislikes rather than trying to get more of what they like in their lives.

Out of votes but so much this … online stuff has really changed this dynamic of late and the social media stuff replies to Emily are absolutely appalling in many instances . I don’t blame them for taking a break . 

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Lucky sod.

Because she delivered when (some) people thought it wouldn't be possible

6 hours ago, Pipine said:

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Lucky sod.

Not sure why you want to try to make this a gender thing, Fil was comparing Dua to Cyndi, they are both female, he was pointing out the way the industry has changed with fewer acts playing totally live, as I said above this also applies to acts like The Go! Team. I mentioned Dolly miming too but I could also mention Frankie Valli, another older singer who also mimes, It's not a gender issue.

There is no hate for Dua, not from me, she clearly put on a good show,  as I said in the first post it is understandable for someone dancing throughout a set to have help. Fil delivers his analysis quite fairly IMO no hate there just an opinion on the performances, it's quite possible to look objectively at something and criticise or comment on aspects of it without having a personal dislike of the subject.

3 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

What about doing an expose of DJ's who don't DJ live and just use a pre-recorded set...............................

but then like this video of 'live' singing. Who cares.

Dua Lipa sang live 100% - I know cos she was 3 feet from me and I could hear it coming out her mouth.

Djs do t do pre recorded sets. They fo pre determined sets. They know whats theyre going to play cause its going to sync with visuals and pyro. Pro dj's dont hit play on their usb drive and stand there for an hour. 

just wait til more people see taylor swifts miming on her current tour and being so obvious. And the defense of it cause she does 3 hour shows so her voice needs to be saved