guypjfreak

58 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Is there the possibility that assistance could be provided by others off here?

should have a mate with us who'll be able to help out, otherwise am happy to be helped, but the person needs to be available where i am at the adhoc times i need some assistance*, when glastonbury is a big site and they could be anywhere.

*would be mostly helping me with clothing (coats on and off, coat zips done up) or shoes (laces): also maybe, collecting or returning  for charging: my mobility scooter - hopefully that will be near where we'll be camped in east cv fields but might be at the main accessibility area wherever that is this year( there's rumours of a move) might be right across the site.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

should have a mate with us who'll be able to help out, otherwise am happy to be helped, but the person needs to be available where i am at the adhoc times i need some assistance*, when glastonbury is a big site and they could be anywhere.

*would be mostly helping me with clothing (coats on and off, coat zips done up) or shoes (laces): also maybe, collecting or returning  for charging: my mobility scooter - hopefully that will be near where we'll be camped in east cv fields but might be at the main accessibility area wherever that is this year( there's rumours of a move) might be right across the site.

If you're in East CV, I'm here to help. I'll be in the quiet area so likely close to you, tasks like the scooter I'm happy to do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

i've not given a cat update for a while, kitty is still with us, happily settled in.and we've recently made moves to take ownership (and vet bills) for the cat, spoken to the house shes from and told them that she wants to live with us. took her to the vet (she isn't chipped, so we'll get her chipped, bought her a subscription for a  flea treatment so she'll be getting her own post).there's a cat in the 'hood that we thought was her brother;  looks just like her,  her owners say it is her bruv. he comes round to call for her, hangs outside the window looking in. i wanna invite him in, but am worried about territory wars, with pissing to claim it.

3 hours ago, Neil said:

i've not given a cat update for a while, kitty is still with us, happily settled in.and we've recently made moves to take ownership (and vet bills) for the cat, spoken to the house shes from and told them that she wants to live with us. took her to the vet (she isn't chipped, so we'll get her chipped, bought her a subscription for a  flea treatment so she'll be getting her own post).there's a cat in the 'hood that we thought was her brother;  looks just like her,  her owners say it is her bruv. he comes round to call for her, hangs outside the window looking in. i wanna invite him in, but am worried about territory wars, with pissing to claim it.

I am god | Funny cats, Cats, Funny cartoons

since i was ill two years ago, there's been a charity that's been most responsible for my recovery  Bristol after stroke and they've been so inspiring i decided to offer something back by volunteering for them. so far  i've done a bit of tin-rattling, and helped promote what they do, and now i've got the chance to work with them, by going into  the wonderful south bristol community hospital (where i spent 13 very comfortable weeks) to talk to patients and share some of my experiences.

18 minutes ago, Neil said:

since i was ill two years ago, there's been a charity that's been most responsible for my recovery  Bristol after stroke and they've been so inspiring i decided to offer something back by volunteering for them. so far  i've done a bit of tin-rattling, and helped promote what they do, and now i've got the chance to work with them, by going into  the wonderful south bristol community hospital (where i spent 13 very comfortable weeks) to talk to patients and share some of my experiences.

Fabulous. Good on you for helping. I once did a charity rattle. I went out with the plastic donation tub, immediately got frightened by the 'people' (I was in Birmingham city centre). I went into panic mode, took 350 out of my wallet (I had money in those days!) and stuck it in the charity box and handed it back to the organiser. I'd say that I'd had it wrapped up in 5 minutes from start to finish. So, I walked out of that £50 down. I am very good at that sort of thing. Anyway, why am I writing about me? I guess it's probably narcissism. 

Anyway, back in the room - well done for putting a bit back in. It does help the overall fabric of society if people do as you have done.

PS - I did give 4 Christmases up for a charity once. Not saying I did my bit - more reporting that it went without incident.

Anyway, I'm, rambling now. 

Time to roll another.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

What a great thing to do, good on you fella 😊

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Fabulous. Good on you for helping. I once did a charity rattle. I went out with the plastic donation tub, immediately got frightened by the 'people' (I was in Birmingham city centre). I went into panic mode, took 350 out of my wallet (I had money in those days!) and stuck it in the charity box and handed it back to the organiser. I'd say that I'd had it wrapped up in 5 minutes from start to finish. So, I walked out of that £50 down. I am very good at that sort of thing. Anyway, why am I writing about me? I guess it's probably narcissism. 

Anyway, back in the room - well done for putting a bit back in. It does help the overall fabric of society if people do as you have done.

PS - I did give 4 Christmases up for a charity once. Not saying I did my bit - more reporting that it went without incident.

Anyway, I'm, rambling now. 

Time to roll another.

About thirty years ago (so long ago that many of the pubs in Bristol only sold two types of bitter - courage or directors) a pub I frequented used to do a big charity effort every year for CLIC. We decided to go out with buckets on a Friday night in fancy dress. We had no ID or anything you'd use these days but just walked in pubs full of pissed people and made a fortune - bless the kindness of drunk strangers. 

3 hours ago, Neil said:

That is great news Neil. You've done such a great job of running this website and forums, picked up so much information over the years. It's been a par of my life visiting for about 20 years. Good luck with the new job if you have taken it. It sounds great, heart warming news.

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

What a great thing to do, good on you fella 😊

About thirty years ago (so long ago that many of the pubs in Bristol only sold two types of bitter - courage or directors) a pub I frequented used to do a big charity effort every year for CLIC. We decided to go out with buckets on a Friday night in fancy dress. We had no ID or anything you'd use these days but just walked in pubs full of pissed people and made a fortune - bless the kindness of drunk strangers. 

An elderly gentleman used to come into the pub that I frequented when first drinking (heavily!). He went around the pub (and all the other pubs) for years collecting. He eventually got busted. He'd been doing it for himself for years. Had a sw*nky Jaguar etc 

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

An elderly gentleman used to come into the pub that I frequented when first drinking (heavily!). He went around the pub (and all the other pubs) for years collecting. He eventually got busted. He'd been doing it for himself for years. Had a sw*nky Jaguar etc 

Wow to do it that much really must take some nerve - presumably that's the confidence trickster aspect? 

Just now, clarkete said:

Wow to do it that much really must take some nerve - presumably that's the confidence trickster aspect? 

Well, he certainly was a confidence trickster, for sure. He was an old man who looked very frail. Them thing is, he was coming into the pub for donkeys years doing it, and always looked old and frail, but never seeming to change --if that makes any sense.

I guess he could have done it for other reasons than financial gain. Might be quite a kinky thing to do for some.

My favourite trickster was the bloke who got into the Groucho Club by telling them he was Stanley Kubrick - which he certainly was not. Apparently he frequented all the top end clubs etc saying he was Kubrick. It was a well chosen name to use, in my opinion. I mean, doi you know what Stanley Kubrick looks like (maybe that should be 'looked'. I don't know.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I mean, doi you know what Stanley Kubrick looks like (maybe that should be 'looked'. I don't know.

Only these days cos they have regular documentaries about him on the telly, but yeah pre widespread use of t'internet things were a conman's paradise 🌴

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2023 at 2:31 PM, Neil said:

i signed myself up for some medical research this morning, that i hope might eventually get my paralysed arm and hand working properly again.

might take a while before things get that good, but its a bit of hope where i had no hope.

they finally got back to me today, and quickly established that my specific  condition (zero hand movement) makes me unsuitable for this research, which is annoying, cos its the first thing i asked about when the guy explained about the research.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

they finally got back to me today, and quickly established that my specific  condition (zero hand movement) makes me unsuitable for this research, which is annoying, cos its the first thing i asked about when the guy explained about the research.

There’s likely other research going on, worth persevering with the idea I’d say.

3 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

There’s likely other research going on, worth persevering with the idea I’d say.

i'll see if i can get a few parts of what they're doing, some of it sounds like it can help.

3 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Not sure until tomorrow if it’s good news or not, but I’m being filmed with Dr Dawn Harper (C4 Embarrassing Bodies, R4 Women’s Hour, etc.) for a new NHS England publicity tour around the UK or raising cancer issues. If you see anyone mumbling on a video coming out it may be me…

You’ll be as good in front of the camera as you are behind it … I’ve no doubt 

• Upvote 1