guypjfreak

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Good news, first sign of summer for us, the paddle steamer Waverley has arrived in town for the beginning of its summer schedule

I'm sure the Waverley used to do trips from Barry Island to Ilfracombe back in the 70s. I can also remember having a pint of heavy in The Waverley pub in Edinburgh 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Can report that the latter is still going strong.  Up until a couple of years back when it was given a face-lift it would have been identical to when you visited in the seventies 

Decent pub? Sadly our Waverley tribute pub, called the paddle steamer, is a Wetherspoons😒

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Good news, first sign of summer for us, the paddle steamer Waverley has arrived in town for the beginning of its summer schedule. Pity the weather is a bit dull.

IMG_1782.thumb.jpeg.d6f9dea7f83f892f6a0a62a2c334bb80.jpeg

And a Calmac in the background to boot! I've been on a few of them in years gone by. I visited a few of the west coast islands via their services. I am of Irish decent and am , supposed(!), to be loyal to it's countryside and coastal beauty, but cannot be. That is because the countryside and coastal beauty of Scotland knocks elsewhere in to the shade, as far as I'm concerned. And I have been to a fair few countries. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

And a Calmac in the background to boot! I've been on a few of them in years gone by. I visited a few of the west coast islands via their services. I am of Irish decent and am , supposed(!), to be loyal to it's countryside and coastal beauty, but cannot be. That is because the countryside and coastal beauty of Scotland knocks elsewhere in to the shade, as far as I'm concerned. And I have been to a fair few countries. 

The Clyde steamers are the origin of the phrase steaming drunk. The only place you used to be able to legally buy a drink on a Sunday was on a steamer so folk headed for a Sunday booze cruise.  Thus being steaming became a euphemism for getting pissed. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Decent pub? Sadly our Waverley tribute pub, called the paddle steamer, is a Wetherspoons😒

Not been in there for 10 years, but was proper old school boozer when last visited 😁

6 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Good news, first sign of summer for us, the paddle steamer Waverley has arrived in town for the beginning of its summer schedule. Pity the weather is a bit dull.

I used to see the Waverley most days back in the 80's going down the Clyde at Renfrew.  Nice to see it's still going.

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The Clyde steamers are the origin of the phrase steaming drunk. The only place you used to be able to legally buy a drink on a Sunday was on a steamer so folk headed for a Sunday booze cruise.  Thus being steaming became a euphemism for getting pissed. 

I have a vague (and possibly wrong) memory of an expression called ' being on the steam boats', and it referring to being on the piss. Does that expression ring bells, at all?

On 5/20/2023 at 1:28 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Looks like Thunder Child 👍🤣

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Remember the terms well, my friends from Campbeltown used expressions such as steaming. Not heard it used since I left Glasgow.

(Cludgie and boke were always my favourites).

If they are from Campbeltown then I’m sure they are well acquainted with being steaming, then boaking in the cludgie!😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Finally got round to adding the spinning balloon thing to my hut that we bought in Glastonbury last year!
IMG_1795.thumb.jpeg.ee3fa1214b6021f435cc762cc8b10d09.jpeg

I like the spinning bit at the bottom.

We had a similar thing that was fish shaped, and blew in the wind. Unfortunately somebody nicked it off our tent at the Shambala festival. I do look on that philosophically - the fish needed to swim away to rivers new. I know not to mention it to my wife though. If she found the thief / thieves they'd probably be in a shallow grave now!

20 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I like the spinning bit at the bottom.

We had a similar thing that was fish shaped, and blew in the wind. Unfortunately somebody nicked it off our tent at the Shambala festival. I do look on that philosophically - the fish needed to swim away to rivers new. I know not to mention it to my wife though. If she found the thief / thieves they'd probably be in a shallow grave now!

The balloon also spins, it’s actually quite nice though I wasn’t convinced initially. On the lookout this year for more shed embellishments. My hut gets a few frowns from some of the brown shed conformist neighbours but f**k em. 
sorry to hear about the stolen fish. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

17 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It’s Coldplay day and my first ever stadium gig … if you are going and spit me please come and say hello . As ever I’ve done some hat upgrades especially for it 

IMG_6209.mov

Hello Crazy,

I can't see anything on that link. Now, that might heavily be down to me an IT issues. It might also be down to day 2 of my birthday celebrations. I've had a breakfast smoke and have a pint of G & T in front of me, so maybe that's also the reason I can't see!  lol

Just pointing it out, in case an alteration was needed. 😊