guypjfreak

1 minute ago, Losing my hair said:

Nobody was talking about tax evasion. 

evasion/avoidance, it's much the same. Deliberate actions to avoid tax that should be due in all good faith.

Which isn't the tax saving from pension saving (where tax is paid later, on the pension payouts).

And is flying your nice new shiny personal private jet into the EU via the Isle of Man to avoid the VAT which would otherwise be due.

Spot the difference?

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

evasion/avoidance, it's much the same. Deliberate actions to avoid tax that should be due in all good faith.

Which isn't the tax saving from pension saving (where tax is paid later, on the pension payouts).

And is flying your nice new shiny personal private jet into the EU via the Isle of Man to avoid the VAT which would otherwise be due.

Spot the difference?

Okay, probably wishing I hadn't started this, however.

You can't conflate tax avoidance - legal with tax evasion - illegal.

Lewis Hamilton, as far as I am aware, has not broken any tax laws, it is just that the tax laws are not fit for purpose. There might be a moral arguement for him paying more tax and there is definitely an argument that HMRC seems incapable of designing tax laws without loopholes (although the loopholes may be deliberate as they always seem to favour the better off). But you can't complain if somebody operates within the rules as they are drawn up.

By putting money into a personal pension I will certainly pay less tax than if I had just put the money into a savings account - otherwise I wouldn't bother paying the rip off charges I have to pay the financial advisor.

A better arguement against LH receiving a knighthood is that he is a resident of Monaco and as that is his choice, why should this country award him an honour. Also I would not award honours to people for just doing their job - no matter how well they do it. The honours system is more broken than the tax system.

24 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Okay, probably wishing I hadn't started this, however.

You can't conflate tax avoidance - legal with tax evasion - illegal.

Lewis Hamilton, as far as I am aware, has not broken any tax laws, it is just that the tax laws are not fit for purpose. There might be a moral arguement for him paying more tax and there is definitely an argument that HMRC seems incapable of designing tax laws without loopholes (although the loopholes may be deliberate as they always seem to favour the better off). But you can't complain if somebody operates within the rules as they are drawn up.

By putting money into a personal pension I will certainly pay less tax than if I had just put the money into a savings account - otherwise I wouldn't bother paying the rip off charges I have to pay the financial advisor.

A better arguement against LH receiving a knighthood is that he is a resident of Monaco and as that is his choice, why should this country award him an honour. Also I would not award honours to people for just doing their job - no matter how well they do it. The honours system is more broken than the tax system.

The attached could still be viewed as "legal" but in my view having to set up dummy companies in Isle of Man, Guernsey and the Virgin Isles to avoid paying tax whilst maybe being legal is not in the spirit of tax laws and moves from being tax avoidance to tax evasion. This is not the same as reducing the amount of tax you pay through utilising government endorsed schemes available to the vast majority of the population.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/06/lewis-hamilton-avoided-taxes-jet-isle-of-man-scheme-paradise-papers

Good news.. the absolute shit show that is 2020 is almost over!!!!

I know the start of 2021 isn't gonna be great, but we're gonna get there and things will feel more normal again. I was a bit down yesterday with all the teir 4 crap, but thanks @ShakeyCrash for reminding me it's will get better. Lots of love to you all on here and thank you so so much for everything this year x

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wellyboot said:

Good news.. the absolute shit show that is 2020 is almost over!!!!

I know the start of 2021 isn't gonna be great, but we're gonna get there and things will feel more normal again. I was a bit down yesterday with all the teir 4 crap, but thanks @ShakeyCrash for reminding me it's will get better. Lots of love to you all on here and thank you so so much for everything this year x

My pleasure and loads of love to you too. It’s a really shit roller coaster at the moment but i really think we have loads to look forward to. Imagine not having a maccies for months and how incredible that first nugget would taste. It’s going to be like that for all the stuff we are missing now. The future is full of first nuggets! We just need to try and limit the horrendous loses on the way and lockdowns will do this for now until the vaccines have an effect x

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The snow covered Arran hills and mountains looked majestic today, the air  clear and cold. Gazing at them makes it easier to put the current troubles to the back of my  mind. Hopefully the virus will go with the winter snows. 

09061512-F898-4624-8520-7335C191852C.thumb.jpeg.259f9b68d5b2eab1e3a771cde1055581.jpeg

Wow!! Absolutely hypnotising!! Beautiful!! We have a scattering of snow near us!! 

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The snow covered Arran hills and mountains looked majestic today, the air  clear and cold. Gazing at them makes it easier to put the current troubles to the back of my  mind. Hopefully the virus will go with the winter snows. 

09061512-F898-4624-8520-7335C191852C.thumb.jpeg.259f9b68d5b2eab1e3a771cde1055581.jpeg

I'm not looking for sympathy (as in at all) but my life is fucking bastard horrible right now. So, it was lovely to see the photo above. Lovely to know that beauty still exists. Honestly, you'll never truly know what that photo has done for me. Thanks Chris. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1