U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Yeah that’s a fair point.

I don't know enough about Harris...but I would worry about an underlying sexism/racism running through a lot of america that might be a problem in some of those states they need to win in.

But. Trump is a major c**t, he is potentially a major problem for the future of US democracy and their standing in the world...surely there are a lot of people there who want to keep him out, but want to be confident that someone will be in office who knows what day of the week it is.

I think the idea of Biden dropping out at this point terrifies a lot of republicans. They won’t admit it, but a new candidate basically obliterates all their talking points that they’ve built up over the past five years - sleepy Joe etc - and they’d have to come up with a whole new strategy to target the new guy, whereas the Dems, if done right, would be revitalised and have a strong candidate to tear Trump apart. Biden may be near enough level pegging with the other likely candidates at this stage, but he’s got no room for improvement - he’s just ‘not Trump’ as he always was - whereas a new candidate has four months to up those numbers and get people excited again and actually want to vote for them, not just against Trump. It just needs to be the right candidate, and it needs to be soon. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

I think the idea of Biden dropping out at this point terrifies a lot of republicans. They won’t admit it, but a new candidate basically obliterates all their talking points that they’ve built up over the past five years - sleepy Joe etc - and they’d have to come up with a whole new strategy to target the new guy, whereas the Dems, if done right, would be revitalised and have a strong candidate to tear Trump apart. Biden may be near enough level pegging with the other likely candidates at this stage, but he’s got no room for improvement - he’s just ‘not Trump’ as he always was - whereas a new candidate has four months to up those numbers and get people excited again and actually want to vote for them, not just against Trump. It just needs to be the right candidate, and it needs to be soon. 

Admire your optimism.

Not convinced that any of this is bad news for Trump

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Admire your optimism.

Not convinced that any of this is bad news for Trump

Because Trump has done nothing to sway voters his way in the last four years - his base is settled and isn’t budging - whereas if the Dems have a chance to stir up some enthusiasm their way rather than having Biden just have people stay at home and not vote at all. 

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

You have to wonder with Biden obviously f**ked why they didn't go with Harris earlier, maybe cause she's kind of sh*t too?

Like you said above, a woman of colour running is a very risky move and in itself could cause them to lose. It shouldn’t at all be the case in this day and age, but it definitely is. She’s also tied directly to Biden so might not exactly invigorate people who were already iffy on their ticket. 

30 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Because Trump has done nothing to sway voters his way in the last four years - his base is settled and isn’t budging - whereas if the Dems have a chance to stir up some enthusiasm their way rather than having Biden just have people stay at home and not vote at all. 

Like you said above, a woman of colour running is a very risky move and in itself could cause them to lose. It shouldn’t at all be the case in this day and age, but it definitely is. She’s also tied directly to Biden so might not exactly invigorate people who were already iffy on their ticket. 

So half dead white man trumps fully living brown woman.

How depressing.

8 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Being tied to Biden may not be a bad thing if she does end up getting the nod, I believe campaign funds can be transferred over, she would also be an easier pill to swallow for Biden loyalists if it became inevitable that he had to go.

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Apparently in 2022 Boris Johnson called Vladimir Putin someone who showed "inspirational leadership" when he meant to say Zelenskyy. So, clearly, Biden is keeping company.

yeah, we all do it. My mum is always calling me my brother's name or my dad's name until she eventually gets it right. I do it too, even with the bloody dog.

But, there was so much scrutiny on Biden the last week, as there will be in future weeks...and calling Zelensky Putin and Harris Trump is quite something.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, we all do it. My mum is always calling me my brother's name or my dad's name until she eventually gets it right. I do it too, even with the bloody dog.

But, there was so much scrutiny on Biden the last week, as there will be in future weeks...and calling Zelensky Putin and Harris Trump is quite something.

I'm perfectly aware timing can be a factor in this, in that making screw-ups like this when everyone's looking at you is not a great look.

But there's also a case of it being a self-fulfilling prophecy sometimes. George W Bush seemed to have a "gaffe machine" expectation built in, to the point where there's even a Wikipedia entry for "Bushism" 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so...apparently this speech went down well, no gaffes, crowd loved it etc.

He does slur though, can't make out what he's actually saying sometimes, has he always done that?

More people watched this than watched the Oscars. Granted, I’m sure people are watching hoping Biden makes more hilarious f**k ups, but it instead seems to have gone down very well despite any minor gaffes he may have had. General consensus seems to be that, despite the gaffes, Biden is a good guy whose second term plans are pretty great. Great to see some good news for the Dems at last after a.. rocky couple of weeks. 

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so...apparently this speech went down well, no gaffes, crowd loved it etc.

He does slur though, can't make out what he's actually saying sometimes, has he always done that?

Having a read this morning and he was apparently lively and 'more fired up than he has been in recent weeks'... Perhaps rumours of his demise have been greatly exaggerated? There's a lot of democrats still backing him (at least publicly). I'm still hoping they manage to steady the ship but he needs to stay on the front foot though and understand that his every move is being scrutinised more than ever.

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

But there's also a case of it being a self-fulfilling prophecy sometimes. George W Bush seemed to have a "gaffe machine" expectation built in, to the point where there's even a Wikipedia entry for "Bushism" 

I know there’s been a lot of revisionism on Bush, especially now that Trump makes him look stellar in comparison, but man are some of his gaffes hilarious. Love scrolling through Twitter threads of some of the funny sh*t he said. 

So after all the speculation that Trump might choose a woman or a person of colour as his running mate to try and sway voters from those groups, it’s being highly speculated now that it’s actually gonna be J.D. Vance, the most beige idiot who actively hated Trump until he was forced to fall in line and bend the knee. After Trump nearly had Pence killed I wonder if more serious candidates were less inclined to go for the job:

https://x.com/accountablegop/status/1811787745431273723?s=46&t=iaGP6ZGqnTnA42DDzuUIgQ

IMG_0612.jpeg

Edited by FloopFiller