U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

Looks like Harris has enough support (and money) to being the party's nominee. She is a slightly unknown and flawed choice, if Biden had said he wasn't standing at start of year it may well have not been her who was picked to replace him, but they have to get behind her (which it looks like they are). Hopefully she can energise the anti Trump vote, and get the female/black/youth vote onside who had been deserting Democrats under Biden. I wonder who her VP pick will be..quite a few contenders.

and Biden does deserve some kudos for standing aside. He obviously didn't want to, normally the incumbent can stand for a 2nd term, but under who knows what sort of pressure he did the right thing. Hopefully he can spend rest of his time in office focusing on a ceasefire in Gaza and reforming the supreme court.

53 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Looks like Harris has enough support (and money) to being the party's nominee. She is a slightly unknown and flawed choice, if Biden had said he wasn't standing at start of year it may well have not been her who was picked to replace him, but they have to get behind her (which it looks like they are). Hopefully she can energise the anti Trump vote, and get the female/black/youth vote onside who had been deserting Democrats under Biden. I wonder who her VP pick will be..quite a few contenders.

Yeah, looks like the angle the right are going with is that she wasn’t voted to be the nominee by the people so will be an illegitimate president, but honestly if that’s all they’ve got then we’re off to a good start because it seems people are rallying behind her and getting excited about it.

Her social media team are embracing the current Charli XCX/Chappell Roan/gen z Kamala memes pretty spectacularly thus far as well, so here’s hoping they don’t run them in to the ground in the next few months. 

I'm positive she wouldn't have got the nod a year ago but there's a big issue here and that is there is only 100 days left until it goes to the vote. I think the Dems must realise that it's got to be a transition to her to avert the most fallout from Biden stepping down. 

Is Biden's big address tonight? It will be interesting to see how he is and what sort of speech he gives. I don't want to get on the twitter conspiracy track but he is still president and there's only been a couple of tweets since Sunday. Hopefully he's not in such a bad way that his hand was forced in stepping down. It's also a real possibility that he could stand down altogether if that is the case. I'm not sure if that would be a good or a bad thing...

22 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

I'm positive she wouldn't have got the nod a year ago but there's a big issue here and that is there is only 100 days left until it goes to the vote. I think the Dems must realise that it's got to be a transition to her to avert the most fallout from Biden stepping down. 

Is Biden's big address tonight? It will be interesting to see how he is and what sort of speech he gives. I don't want to get on the twitter conspiracy track but he is still president and there's only been a couple of tweets since Sunday. Hopefully he's not in such a bad way that his hand was forced in stepping down. It's also a real possibility that he could stand down altogether if that is the case. I'm not sure if that would be a good or a bad thing...

Yeah was just gonna say the same thing - I wonder if there’s a more serious health issue at play here that they’re not talking about which caused him to drop out. Hasn’t been seen in a few days now, didn’t give an in person statement for his dropping out of the race, just a letter on socials, and there hasn’t been anything from his camp now that the attention has switched to Kamala. Does all seem a little off.

That could be the case, we know covid recovery can be a tough process for some and as you say he is 81 years old. I don't think standing back and letting it be all about Harris is possible though when he is still the country's leader. Fingers crossed he is just giving her a couple of days publicity before he steps back into the limelight.

Edited by MilkyJoe

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Netanyahu is in town this week and is doing a thing in congress tomorrow which Harris will conveniently not be able to make.

Yeah, looks like she’s already trying to distance herself from all that, which is wise going in to the election.

Plus, gotta give Biden adequate room to cough directly in to his face. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

😂😂😂 Hilarious!

In a way his not correcting himself and just rolling with it whenever he makes a mistake has done him a huge favour because people either don’t realise or just brush past it, whereas Biden, who had to learn to overcome a stutter, always went the other way and corrected himself which often came off worse, even though it’s exactly what you should do. 

Great that the Dems can now use this to their advantage, though. Was always hard to go after Trump for this stuff when Biden was often just as bad, but Kamala’s biggest flaw is that she often laughs… which just comes off as funny.

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Will Trump agree to a debate with Harris? She's known to make gaffes herself.

I think he will have to or he would be viewed as running scared. Of course he will twist the narrative to say he only agreed to debate Biden and his supporters would suck it up.

13 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

I think he will have to or he would be viewed as running scared. Of course he will twist the narrative to say he only agreed to debate Biden and his supporters would suck it up.

Yeah, already stuff coming out saying he’s gonna refuse because shes a ‘illegitimate candidate’ so I can see him rolling with that, even though it would make him look incredibly pathetic.

14 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

So if he loses to Harris is he gunna continue to say she is an illegitimate candidate and that he actually beat Biden coz Biden got zero votes and start suing etc. 

I’m super excited for this sh*t show now. 

He's certainly not going to take it well if they do manage to turn things around and beat him.

If Trump loses he was always gonna claim it was illegitimate either way. His team are already laying the same groundwork of ‘mail in ballots don’t count’ from 2020 and he’ll do the same playbook of everything the Dems do is corrupt. Such an insanely sore loser and I really hope he gets pummelled on election day.