U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

18 hours ago, steviewevie said:

but people just look at now...and if looks like US heading for a recession, or near enough...that will further help Trump and his attacks on Biden being a disaster for the economy.

How much this affects ordinary voters I guess will be key.

Well I said we needed more data and the fact that Asian markets have already seen stock prices recover their losses yesterday is a curious sign that maybe the economic situation isn't so dreadful as feared. Plus while it was a large drop on Wall Street, it did recover a decent wedge of ground in the final hours of trading.

Maybe a US recession crash-landing in time for the election isn't inevitable but as I said, a bit more data might be required.

John Oliver's show did a thing on RFK Jr last night and this story that broke after they recorded about RFK Jr thinking it was funny to dump a dead bear cub he was initially planning to eat in Central Park in New York just adds to the portfolio that he's a bit of a weird man.

Certainly it's quite something his entire family is saying don't vote for him.

Edited by charlierc

17 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Apparently she’s chosen her VP now and they’ve accepted the offer.

Walz is the guy who came up with the ‘they’re weird’ line and seems to have become incredibly popular since. Just seems like a really cool regular dude.

Think it’s gonna be Shapiro myself. Republicans seem to really fear him cause he’s an insanely charismatic guy, often compared to Obama in the way he speaks, although seems to have a few bits of controversy behind him which have people worried - being Jewish he’s very pro-Israel and has said some pretty dodgy sh*t regarding it in the past, amongst other things. 

decision soon.

This Shapiro stuff about Israel is about something he wrote when he was 20 and has since repudiated? or is there anything else? 

My brother lives in US and is very lefty pro Palestine and all that. Wasn't going to vote Biden because of Gaza, but might vote Harris..but now says he is waiting for VP pick so I just know he's going to say he can't vote for her when she picks Shapiro which is pretty f**king stupid if you ask me but for him (and many others) Israel is the no.1 problem (I should add that he kind of sounds antisemitic with some of the sh*t he comes out with but I don't go there).

I think if she does pick Shapiro it has nothing to do with Gaza and everything to do with PA, and lets be honest once in office the VP does f**k all anyway.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

She's picked Walz!

So, obviously she's anti-semitic.

I know nothing about him except he seems like a nice guy and is good at calling Trump/Vance weird.

Crazy that this guy seems to have gotten the VP nod purely because of three weeks of him sh*t talking Repubs in TV appearances. I mean, he’s apparently been a great governor too, but didn’t seem like he was known to wider America until he came up with the ‘weird’ thing which caused him to become an instant sensation with Dem voters. 

Also great that everybody was seemingly expecting Shapiro and the baggage that came with him so cool to see Kamala/Dems not absolutely f**king it up at every opportunity - they really seemed to listen to what people wanted. They’re not giving Republicans an inch. Most they have on this guy is he got a DUI 25 years ago. f**k all.

Edited by FloopFiller

10 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Crazy that this guy seems to have gotten the VP nod purely because of three weeks of him sh*t talking Repubs in TV appearances. I mean, he’s apparently been a great governor too, but didn’t seem like he was known to wider America until he came up with the ‘weird’ thing which caused him to become an instant sensation with Dem voters. 

Also great that everybody was seemingly expecting Shapiro and the baggage that came with him so cool to see Kamala/Dems not absolutely f**king it up at every opportunity - they really seemed to listen to what people wanted. They’re not giving Republicans an inch. Most they have on this guy is he got a DUI 25 years ago. f**k all.

he's considered a bit of a lefty so Republicans can use that...but yeah he just seems like a nice folksie sort of guy.

What happened with that Kelly bloke?

Both Trump and Kamala are crap politicians. But then I'm not American so I'm not really all that bothered. Way too many people here are obsessed with America.

1 minute ago, VCK2 said:

Both Trump and Kamala are crap politicians. But then I'm not American so I'm not really all that bothered. Way too many people here are obsessed with America.

maybe because whoever wins this election could have massive impacts across the world.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

What happened with that Kelly bloke?

I’m sure there are other reasons but from what I’ve heard he’s a bit of a personality vacuum so might not hold up well in debates or when the camera is on him. Also apparently very pro-Israel which seems to have been a big decider in this whole thing. 

48 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

I’m sure there are other reasons but from what I’ve heard he’s a bit of a personality vacuum so might not hold up well in debates or when the camera is on him. Also apparently very pro-Israel which seems to have been a big decider in this whole thing. 

Also I think would be a special election they may lose.

5 hours ago, VCK2 said:

Yes, but if Trump wins, WW3 is very much on the cards, so that's why I'm interested.

6 hours ago, VCK2 said:

Maybe, but at least Harris possesses a semblance of sanity...

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Yes, but if Trump wins, WW3 is very much on the cards, so that's why I'm interested.

I think war is inevitable with either of them. Trump has his eyes on Iran for sure, but these Democrats aren't peace loving hippy lefty types; they're centrists who serve corporate America. And corporate America does like a good war in the Middle East.

7 hours ago, LJS said:

Maybe, but at least Harris possesses a semblance of sanity...

This guy is suddenly realising that his constant Sleepy Joe name calling and demanding that Biden to step down has in part caused him to lose this election and he’s freaking the f**k out. Literally BEGGING for Biden to come back on the ticket. Hilarious. 

8 hours ago, VCK2 said:

I think war is inevitable with either of them. Trump has his eyes on Iran for sure, but these Democrats aren't peace loving hippy lefty types; they're centrists who serve corporate America. And corporate America does like a good war in the Middle East.

You sound like my brother.

I think US, corporate or not, wants some stability in middle east, but also to maintain influence which is the tricky bit. A wider war at moment will likely damage both, and no one wants that.

I guess the main difference with Trump and Harris is Trump likes a deal, he did that Abraham Accords thing which was good for Israel, good for some Arab countries, but Palestine didn't get a mention, and Iran remained a pariah.

Not sure about Harris, but at least she still talks about a two state solution, whether that's pie in the sky unrealistic talk that just makes further war inevitable I don't know.

But I think bigger difference is Russia/Ukraine/NATO/Europe.

Edited by steviewevie

16 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Electoral math along with what he has done goes a long way. Get a candidate that has the ability to go into Michigan and Wisconsin to swing them blue goes a lot farther than just getting Pennsylvania. Along with ensuring Minnesota goes blue and thats 3 instead of 1. Youre also forgetting that you have the sitting president who is from Pennsylvania and that can campaign when needed these next 3 months in his own home state. Thats an election right there with those 4 states. Cause you get  to 270 with all that and no Nevada or Arizona. Problem is you dont want this close at all cause of the interference which will follow. Why should Harris have selected Shapiro when all it was going to do was cause more drama then needed. Kelly had great credentials but keeping him in the Senate when youre currently gridlocked is better anyway. Minnesota wouldnt lose a democratic gov since the replacement will be the first native woman to ever be governor. So theres that. Welcome to the dad rock presidency.

• Like 2