U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

3 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Great ad this. Must be nice for the Dems to have all of these huge musicians just a phone call away for using their songs. Republicans could never:

Aye, looks good and haven't they got the Obamas both speaking tonight? 

That's surely gonna get some great PR

25 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Aye, looks good and haven't they got the Obamas both speaking tonight? 

That's surely gonna get some great PR

I knew Michelle was due to speak but didn't realise Barack was also speaking. Trump is gonna go batshit.🙂

On 8/19/2024 at 6:01 PM, clarkete said:

That's where the really interesting thing will be if she can get this in a direct and simple message in a debate and call it as BS. 

i agree that's what she needs to do, but how she does it is difficult cos trump is very  good at brushing off scrutiny. there's a bit of a limit to how much he can defend himself, because it often  looks aggressive and bullying.

18 minutes ago, Neil said:

i agree that's what she needs to do, but how she does it is difficult cos trump is very  good at brushing off scrutiny. there's a bit of a limit to how much he can defend himself, because it often  looks aggressive and bullying.

On that front saw this today 

"There’s no question Trump is going through self-immolation. He’s killing himself. All swing states are won by independent votes, and he’s alienated the independent vote almost every day with some foolish statement that marginalizes him, and as a result the party — and the majority of independents are educated women, and they’re just turned off by the guy and what he says,” said former Sen. Judd Gregg (R-N.H.), a onetime adviser to Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell’s (Ky.) leadership team"

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4835774-senate-republicans-concerned-trump/

5 minutes ago, clarkete said:

On that front saw this today 

"There’s no question Trump is going through self-immolation. He’s killing himself. All swing states are won by independent votes, and he’s alienated the independent vote almost every day with some foolish statement that marginalizes him, and as a result the party — and the majority of independents are educated women, and they’re just turned off by the guy and what he says,” said former Sen. Judd Gregg (R-N.H.), a onetime adviser to Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell’s (Ky.) leadership team"

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4835774-senate-republicans-concerned-trump/

even if she was everything 'bad' that  trump claims, she's still less scary than unstable trump.

• Like 2

Her full speech was great - reached out to so many groups of voters, pointed out all the standard trump tactics that he'll use and also had a great rallying cry for their volunteer army, which I think was a big part of their success. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/watch-michelle-obama-s-full-remarks-at-the-dnc-217587269909

Edited by clarkete

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

image.png.b8ba4d247396f97fa32da1ff11d335f2.png

The amount of people in the replies using this as definite proof that all the other polls are wrong and that Trump is gonna win in a landslide is mind boggling. Don’t know if people are genuinely that stupid or if people are simply trying to boost moral by spouting bullshit. 

I’m sure Elon will use this as evidence of the Dems cheating come November, too. 

2 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

RFK Jr seemingly dropping out on Friday and endorsing Trump. No idea how much this actually moves the needle as I  assumed most of his base were going with him because he wasn’t Trump, but I guess we shall see.

I guess this could be significant depending on the extent to which he was going to split the Republican vote. And it won't matter to MAGAs if it subsequently emerges he was paid handsomely to make this move, which I wouldn't rule out. 

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I see they have now formally refused to allow any Palestinian American, or any of the 'Uncommitted' delegates, to speak on the main stage of the DNC. 

Harder than ever to believe the Democrats genuinely support a ceasefire. 

That Vanity Fair article is a powerful piece of journalism, btw: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/story/dnc-2024-palestine-israel

3 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

RFK Jr seemingly dropping out on Friday and endorsing Trump. No idea how much this actually moves the needle as I  assumed most of his base were going with him because he wasn’t Trump, but I guess we shall see.

They reckon atm maybe an extra percent for him.  If he made him health sec that would be mental though, given his views on vaccines (Inc measles etc) 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Was going to post about this being cringe when first saw it then found out a bit more about Gus Walz and it is actually really touching...

Yes, pretty much every speaker I've seen has done very well at including a lot of stories about actual people and the struggles they have been through and do go through in the US, but clearly there's also been a very strong emphasis about presenting a positive vision for the future, rather than focussing too much on the negatives of their opponents - indeed in some cases not even naming them.

With the Obamas the night before, then him, Stevie and Oprah last night (as well as countless other with big followings who reach out to different demographics) it's going to be interesting to see if there's any impact on the polls next week and thereafter.

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

With the Obamas the night before, then him, Stevie and Oprah last night (as well as countless other with big followings who reach out to different demographics) it's going to be interesting to see if there's any impact on the polls next week and thereafter.

😎

9 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

I assume there'll be a split in the proportions with some to Trump, some to Harris and some either joining third parties or not bothering.

4-5%, which is what he was on, could still provide a balance tilt either way tbf.