U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

Apparently a huge secret guest at the DNC tonight. Think Beyonce makes sense given she’s soundtracking the campaign, although seeing lots of people speculate it’s gonna be Taylor, although I’m beginning to think she might stay out of it this time, or at least wouldn’t want to get this involved. 

53 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Apparently a huge secret guest at the DNC tonight. Think Beyonce makes sense given she’s soundtracking the campaign, although seeing lots of people speculate it’s gonna be Taylor, although I’m beginning to think she might stay out of it this time, or at least wouldn’t want to get this involved. 

is her jet not trackable anymore ? 

6 hours ago, charlierc said:

I assume there'll be a split in the proportions with some to Trump, some to Harris and some either joining third parties or not bothering.

4-5%, which is what he was on, could still provide a balance tilt either way tbf.

Some reference at the bottom to how those numbers may change since Biden stepped down 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/rfk-jrs-exit-help-trump-according-polls-rcna167539

Well the special guest rumours proved to be a load of bollocks so not sure why so many usually reliable sources seemed so sure of it happening, but Kamala’s speech seemed to go down well at least, although still getting the expected grumblings from the staunch pro-Palestine groups.

2 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Well the special guest rumours proved to be a load of bollocks so not sure why so many usually reliable sources seemed so sure of it happening, but Kamala’s speech seemed to go down well at least, although still getting the expected grumblings from the staunch pro-Palestine groups.

yeah I think they missed a trick not having a Palestinian speaker, someone who isn't going to call Biden genocide Joe or say from the river to the sea Palestine will be free or talk about Zionist control or Israel lobby or aipac etc etc, and they could condemn Hamas and talk about freeing hostages...but just to bring home on a human level the catastrophe that is happening in Gaza and that US should do all in their power to bring about a ceasefire and the importance of a two state solution. But they didn't, and that will put some potential voters off which they may need.

Maybe the ongoing ceasefire negotiations and how delicate it all is is a big factor.

Anyway, after all the optimism and cheering it will now be down to the campaign, policies, debates...and an October surprise...and it still looks like it's going to be close and will be down to a few hundred thousand in a few states.

Going to be a bit of a downer if Trump still ends up winning!

34 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe the ongoing ceasefire negotiations and how delicate it all is is a big factor.

Aye, don't think that would have won more votes than it would have risked losing. 

It's clearly not the place for complex subjects or nuanced debate. 

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

Aye, don't think that would have won more votes than it would have risked losing. 

It's clearly not the place for complex subjects or nuanced debate. 

i guess they are calculating that if you are if you are concerned about what is happening in Gaza, you're not going to vote for Trump.

Its sh*tty but its politics.

2 hours ago, LJS said:

i guess they are calculating that if you are if you are concerned about what is happening in Gaza, you're not going to vote for Trump.

Its sh*tty but its politics.

Not just politics though is it, it's the nature of that particular subject, which I certainly have no intention of bringing up here, as not least I don't have the clarity of expression to do it justice.

Seeing what happened with some of the US protests, or the reaction to some here, or to artists here who've tried to broach the subject things so easily go OTT, even when someone clearly starts with the best of intentions.

In terms of the US election where we know that they had to get a campaign for her  up running in a short number of weeks and come from behind,  they've doubtless got a team behind the scenes saying they'd be lucky to win at all, so they've clearly thrown everything at putting on a good positive show this week.

15 hours ago, clarkete said:

Some reference at the bottom to how those numbers may change since Biden stepped down 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/rfk-jrs-exit-help-trump-according-polls-rcna167539

Tbf I was not under the assumption they'd all be a homogenous block - would imagine some will side with Trump, some with Harris and some either with other third parties or not bother.

10 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Anyway, after all the optimism and cheering it will now be down to the campaign, policies, debates...and an October surprise...and it still looks like it's going to be close and will be down to a few hundred thousand in a few states.

Going to be a bit of a downer if Trump still ends up winning!

Is there a likelihood for a surprise bigger than what's already been seen this year? The Republican candidate is someone who looked finished after being blamed for their underperformance in the 2022 mid-terms and who this year has been both convicted and shot, while the Democrat candidate is their Plan B.

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Is there a likelihood for a surprise bigger than what's already been seen this year? The Republican candidate is someone who looked finished after being blamed for their underperformance in the 2022 mid-terms and who this year has been both convicted and shot, while the Democrat candidate is their Plan B.

it wouldn't be a surprise if I told you.

Edited by steviewevie

So he has endorsed Trump, something one political site claimed his wife (who is a Curb Your Enthusiasm regular) was not happy about, but one trawl of Facebook of his supporters aggregated and published by The Guardian suggests a lot of his supporters aren't happy and are considering not bothering at all.

Still, there's 2 1/2 months of this sh*t still to play out. Guess we'll see before then what the feedback loop is.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

One bat sh*t crazy candidate pulls out of some states and backs another bat sh*t crazy candidate.

US style Politics - coming to a country near you soon unless we all wake up.

Think US politics jumped the shark when Ford forgave Nixon, which in a way kinda paved the way for the US right to go nuts as quite a few people on the American right think Nixon did nothing wrong. Certainly I'm informed that's part of what lead to the Supreme Court ruling that basically backs up Nixon going "When the President does it, it's not illegal" as he said to David Frost.