U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

On 10/2/2024 at 3:21 PM, steviewevie said:

October surprises. Maybe God is with Trump.

On 10/2/2024 at 5:04 PM, FloopFiller said:

Nah, just means she’s gonna be entering office in the midst of a shitshow, but when isn’t America (or the world) in the midst of a shitshow these days?! Really don’t see these kind of issues moving the needle much at this late stage.

As it turns out, the dockworkers strike was a red herring for an October Surprise. Think it would've been if it was still raging when the election was being held but no sooner is it called, within 48 hours a deal has been agreed and they're going back to work.

I agree the terrain is looking rocky. Disasters like Helene and the weird tit-for-that that's set up don't help, while the Middle East is somehow worse than usual, which never helps set a great tone.

18 minutes ago, charlierc said:

As it turns out, the dockworkers strike was a red herring for an October Surprise. Think it would've been if it was still raging when the election was being held but no sooner is it called, within 48 hours a deal has been agreed and they're going back to work.

I agree the terrain is looking rocky. Disasters like Helene and the weird tit-for-that that's set up don't help, while the Middle East is somehow worse than usual, which never helps set a great tone.

especially if start seeing rising energy prices...

19 hours ago, charlierc said:

Any more sharks to try and jump?

He's jumped so many sharks. Sleepy Joe couldn't jump as many sharks. The biggest sharks. Beautiful sharks. Some people say the biggest sharks anyone has ever jumped

7 hours ago, steviewevie said:

There's probably a part of Musk thinking he looks cool there. The sadsack.

I don't think this is likely but imagine if there's an electoral college tie at next month's election. I don't know what the protocol is then but that really would be an invite to chaos.

8 hours ago, steviewevie said:

All of Trump’s ego but with none of his charisma. Love how any notion of him being cool is immediately removed once he’s not posting on Twitter. Equally looking forward to his meltdown when/if Trump loses after how much he’s debased himself to try and sway the election. 

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Anyone else think Trump is going to win?

No. But only because with the margin so slim between the two campaigns and there being so much contradictory data, polling relays and all the rest saying both candidates are in the ascendancy while at the same time both campaigns are looking very beatable (Harris is yet to shake a continuity-Biden tag or win over some demographics, and Trump's weirdly half-arsed campaign is the worst of his 3 campaigns so far), there's frankly an information overload going on that can lead you to reach any conclusions.

I think it's still overall a slight Harris lead, but absolutely not by enough for me to say she's absolutely nailed on, something that 2 weeks ago a few were confident in saying and which I thought was rash. I got burned by saying long before the 2016 ballot that Trump would absolutely lose, so I'm sure as sh*t not doing that again.

2 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

All of Trump’s ego but with none of his charisma. Love how any notion of him being cool is immediately removed once he’s not posting on Twitter. Equally looking forward to his meltdown when/if Trump loses after how much he’s debased himself to try and sway the election. 

Shortly after he took over Twitter but before he gave it the stupid new name, he made a comment that he wanted Twitter to be neutral to annoy both far right and far left equally. Clearly, he's decided there's something to be had in jettisoning that approach and just bending the knee for Trump, while at the same time making ever increasingly stupid posts.

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

No. But only because with the margin so slim between the two campaigns and there being so much contradictory data, polling relays and all the rest saying both candidates are in the ascendancy while at the same time both campaigns are looking very beatable (Harris is yet to shake a continuity-Biden tag or win over some demographics, and Trump's weirdly half-arsed campaign is the worst of his 3 campaigns so far), there's frankly an information overload going on that can lead you to reach any conclusions.

I think it's still overall a slight Harris lead, but absolutely not by enough for me to say she's absolutely nailed on, something that 2 weeks ago a few were confident in saying and which I thought was rash. I got burned by saying long before the 2016 ballot that Trump would absolutely lose, so I'm sure as sh*t not doing that again.

I think with it being so close that in the end white man wins.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Shortly after he took over Twitter but before he gave it the stupid new name, he made a comment that he wanted Twitter to be neutral to annoy both far right and far left equally. Clearly, he's decided there's something to be had in jettisoning that approach and just bending the knee for Trump, while at the same time making ever increasingly stupid posts.

suits Musk because of $$$ and get the regulators out of his dodgy businesses and because he's a tech bro right wing weirdo c**t.

59 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Anyone else think Trump is going to win?

Nah. I’m actually leaning towards it not even being particularly close on the night, or at least not the total down to the wire nail biter some are expecting. I think a lot of people are sick of Trump and the bullshit that surrounds him and that although current day Twitter would have you believe support for him is still ginormous, it’s dwindled quite a bit and will be apparent come election night. 

Prepared to either look like a genius in a months time or totally eat my own words, but I think he’s toast.

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

suits Musk because of $$$ and get the regulators out of his dodgy businesses and because he's a tech bro right wing weirdo c**t.

You'd have thought though with all the money he earned from the US government for their SpaceX contracts that he'd be wary of biting the hand that feeds, particularly if Harris wins.

Though clearly billionaire logic is just trying to find a way to guarantee more money.