U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Hope messaging like that doesn't make people complacent (or opposite for Trump voters).. turnout is going to be key.

I think the complacency of old isn’t gonna be much of a factor this time with so much on the line. 2016 had people sitting it out thinking ‘I don’t want to vote for Hilary, but she’s got this in the bag’ and then all got egg on their faces when she in fact did not have it in the bag. I’m expecting Kamala to get record numbers tbh, to well and truly flush this turd.

4 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Still going with Kamala winning. There have been a lot of Republican backed spoiler polls being released, usually immediately after one comes out in favour of Kamala, that are muddying the water and boosting Trump’s favourability and making his overall polling look better than it actually is, whereas there really aren’t many Democrat backed polls doing the same thing.

Also, this internal poll was released a couple of days ago and although it has Trump up in all states, it’s by such a pathetic margin that it makes it seem like their actual non-fudged numbers are most likely terrible:

It does openly say tbf that it's a Republican party internal poll, and my instinct is that political parties by design are going to have more of a thumb on the scale because their numbers will be more tilted towards their members thanks to having better access to them.

27 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

I think the complacency of old isn’t gonna be much of a factor this time with so much on the line. 2016 had people sitting it out thinking ‘I don’t want to vote for Hilary, but she’s got this in the bag’ and then all got egg on their faces when she in fact did not have it in the bag. I’m expecting Kamala to get record numbers tbh, to well and truly flush this turd.

I think Democrats will be chucking a lot of money and resources at getting out the vote in those key states, something Clinton failed to do. 

Just have to hope it isn't raining.

On 10/13/2024 at 5:02 PM, steviewevie said:

Maybe Trump winning is the best hope for peace in the middle east?

Given Trump nearly started a war with Iran in 2020 and his ideas were the heart of the botched Afghanistan withdrawal, I'd suggest looking elsewhere for a silver lining.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Given Trump nearly started a war with Iran in 2020 and his ideas were the heart of the botched Afghanistan withdrawal, I'd suggest looking elsewhere for a silver lining.

but...those things didn't happen when Trump was president...but they are definitely happening under Biden's time.

Maybe his transactional way of doing things works? He got these Abraham accords thing going, and maybe that could be part of a resolution with this current issue...via Saudi Arabia. Netanyahu and Trump are buddy populist c**ts right? They met during the summer. They talked on the phone the other day. I wouldn't be surprised that not long after Trump wins there are moves from Israel towards a cessation, as long as everyone stops banging on about a two state solution.

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but...those things didn't happen when Trump was president...but they are definitely happening under Biden's time.

Maybe his transactional way of doing things works? He got these Abraham accords thing going, and maybe that could be part of a resolution with this current issue...via Saudi Arabia. Netanyahu and Trump are buddy populist c**ts right? They met during the summer. They talked on the phone the other day. I wouldn't be surprised that not long after Trump wins there are moves from Israel towards a cessation, as long as everyone stops banging on about a two state solution.

the bloke can barely string a sentence together let alone negotiate anything 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

This feels like copium.

And the first thing did happen in Trump's time. There really nearly was some conflict between the US and Iran in the early months of 2020 after Trump ordered the assassination of an Iranian general, which may have been a news event lost amid the cacophony of things that happened in the first 3 months of 2020.

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

This feels like copium.

And the first thing did happen in Trump's time. There really nearly was some conflict between the US and Iran in the early months of 2020 after Trump ordered the assassination of an Iranian general, which may have been a news event lost amid the cacophony of things that happened in the first 3 months of 2020.

maybe it is copium. Maybe it is just anger.

I am sick of watching Israel carrying out war crimes and atrocities and Biden continuing to support them..or having zero impact on stopping it. It has reduced America's standing in the world dramatically, no wonder the global south/east are supporting Russia, and if this is what being a liberal democracy means then what's the point?

Yes there nearly was conflict with Iran and US with that assassination under Trump, but there wasn't...probably because Iran knows it would be existential for them. Iran doesn't want to get involved now despite Israel trying their best to get then involved. But that doesn't matter...if those were europeans or Israelis getting destroyed like they are in Gaza then America would act.

I hope Harris wins, I really do, but I hope she is a lot better than Biden with this. If not, maybe there just needs to be strongmen in charge.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

as opposed to Biden who can't string a sentence together and who Netanyahu has been able to string along the whole time.

Not as opposed o Biden has also done buggar all either . I’d have a bit more hope that Kamala Harris is at least coherent 

I'd actually forgotten there was a film called The Apprentice about Trump's start as a businessman in the 70s/80s in the cinemas until I went to go see Joker 2 earlier and it was a prominent poster in the foyer. Turns out as well that at 1am this morning local-to-him time, Trump had gone on a rant about it.

I hadn't been interested in it, although I'm curious if Jeremy Strong is as intense with Roy Cohn as he was with playing Kendall Roy in Succession and apparently has a reputation in Hollywood for being.