U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

There's a dissonance at play, given all 9 justices were on board but the 5 right-leaning justices went much harder in their interpretation, essentially almost like they're trying to block the January 6th riot being seen as an insurrection.

Which bodes well for this sense of whether things are bending to breaking point.

us legal system unfairly benefits rich man, never heard that one before

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Exciting Super Tuesday results mean that looks like it's going to be Biden vs Trump. Yawn.

Perhaps the bigger surprise is that neither one has officially secured their party's nomination just yet.

But it does seem as though for yesterday, most of the attention was on things like choosing senator or governor candidates.

6 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Hayley quitting

Was only a matter of time, but despite her pointless effort, I do enjoy that she stayed in it so long just to get little digs in at Trump, even if she will inevitably bend the knee and kiss the ring when it comes down to it.

If you told people back in 2020 that both Biden and Trump would be the nominees in the 2024 election I doubt many would believe you. What a strange timeline.

I’m still fairly confident Biden is gonna win, but the shadow of 2016 really does hang over any election that Trump’s in. I feel like people know better now than to get complacent, but the fact Trump even has a smidgen of a chance of getting back in is forever terrifying stuff. 

6 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Was only a matter of time, but despite her pointless effort, I do enjoy that she stayed in it so long just to get little digs in at Trump, even if she will inevitably bend the knee and kiss the ring when it comes down to it.

If you told people back in 2020 that both Biden and Trump would be the nominees in the 2024 election I doubt many would believe you. What a strange timeline.

I’m still fairly confident Biden is gonna win, but the shadow of 2016 really does hang over any election that Trump’s in. I feel like people know better now than to get complacent, but the fact Trump even has a smidgen of a chance of getting back in is forever terrifying stuff. 

I'm fairly confident Trump is going to win.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Nah, this is what the media is trying to paint, but realistically I think Biden has got it easily, even with all of the Israel/Palestine stuff currently causing people to turn against him. Maybe I’m giving people too much credit (in fact I definitely am) but I can’t see too many people being stupid enough to switch their allegiances over it/be idiotic enough to not think Trump would be doing the exact same if not worse.

21 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

I spent most of 2021/22 saying it wouldn't be these two coming back for an encore, thinking Biden would accept that he's too old and Trump would be disqualified for his poor behaviour on the way out last time.

And yet here we are.

6 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Nah, this is what the media is trying to paint, but realistically I think Biden has got it easily, even with all of the Israel/Palestine stuff currently causing people to turn against him. Maybe I’m giving people too much credit (in fact I definitely am) but I can’t see too many people being stupid enough to switch their allegiances over it/be idiotic enough to not think Trump would be doing the exact same if not worse.

I just think democrats and/or swing voters are going to be put off by Biden because he comes across as f**ked...

There may be a strong anti Trump vote, but not sure how big compared to the pro Trump vote. 

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think it's 50/50. There's still 8 months to go after all and with such mutual unpopularity, it could be quite tricky to predict who ends up being the one a majority of voters want in charge less.

Hell, in looking at the history, at one point before 1988 Democrat candidate Michael Dukakis had a double digit lead in the polls over George Bush Sr with 4/5 months to the election and blew it, while there are multiple elections in the past where the March polls (or indeed the September polls) didn't end up being replicated by the result.

I will say that I was more confident at this phase that Trump would win the 2020 election than I am he'll win this one... though admittedly March 2020 was a month when there were other distractions in the air. I'll also note that polls suggested Nikki Haley actually had a better chance of winning but naturally, enough Republicans are still in the cult of Donald to give that manbaby another thing he wants.

14 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I spent most of 2021/22 saying it wouldn't be these two coming back for an encore, thinking Biden would accept that he's too old and Trump would be disqualified for his poor behaviour on the way out last time.

And yet here we are.

if biden was going to back out he'd have done it by now.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

if biden was going to back out he'd have done it by now.

I think he himself said that at a donor event near the end of 2023.

Certainly, the fact he has a majority of delegates and has barely been challenged in the Democrat primary/caucases - except for randomly losing in American Samoa, which I'm not even sure gets a vote in the main game - hints the Dems weren't confident either. Well that or maybe many are keeping their powder dry for 2028.

I still think both Trump & Biden should be made to undertake the most thorough cognitive exams possible. The fact Biden seems to be unable to go through one speech without mixing things up and Trump is becoming increasingly incoherent and rambling in his public statements makes neither the most convincing frontman.

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I think he himself said that at a donor event near the end of 2023.

Certainly, the fact he has a majority of delegates and has barely been challenged in the Democrat primary/caucases - except for randomly losing in American Samoa, which I'm not even sure gets a vote in the main game - hints the Dems weren't confident either. Well that or maybe many are keeping their powder dry for 2028.

I still think both Trump & Biden should be made to undertake the most thorough cognitive exams possible. The fact Biden seems to be unable to go through one speech without mixing things up and Trump is becoming increasingly incoherent and rambling in his public statements makes neither the most convincing frontman.

why have those tests when an insurrectionist is allowed to stand?

21 minutes ago, Neil said:

why have those tests when an insurrectionist is allowed to stand?

Well yes. Frankly the Republican Party should've shown some balls and said Trump can't stand again after the January 6 2021 riot, to say nothing of Trump-backed candidates falling flat on their face in the 2022 midterms. But clearly they weren't in the mood to cross a base who brought the "2020 election was stolen" bullshit.

Good speech by biden taking on trump in quite a straight forwards way .blaming him for the stuff he needs blaming for 

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

Good speech by biden taking on trump in quite a straight forwards way .blaming him for the stuff he needs blaming for 

I posted that when he'd just started.

No more attacks on trump but the speech just got better and better talking the country up and being positive. Reckon it's gone a long way towards getting biden re-elected.

3 hours ago, Neil said:

I posted that when he'd just started.

No more attacks on trump but the speech just got better and better talking the country up and being positive. Reckon it's gone a long way towards getting biden re-elected.

phew...the meds worked.

Biden absolutely nailed that. Been checking the usual places for conservative’s responses and even they can’t seem to fault him on it other than a few flubs, stutters, and coughs. Guy might be old and struggle with his annunciation every once in a while but he still knows his stuff and has an excellent team behind him. 

Meanwhile Trump was on Truth Social giving his rebuttals in real time in hilarious ‘old man yells at cloud’ fashion. 

9 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

The official Republican rebuttal is deranged stuff. Going in to detail about rape and how crime is at an all time high with a massive sh*t eating grin on your face was an interesting choice:

Would you have expected anything less?