U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Now he needs to bring Harris along side and make her more prominent in the last months til November. Let the people see her and learn how good she can be.

Sadly, doubt that will happen

This is assuming she gets the nomination at the DNC in a few weeks time ofc. Think we have a 1968-style shitshow incoming ngl.

Just found out. I’m a little bit sad about this to be honest as I still thought he could do it. They really need to get their nominee sorted sooner rather than later now. Preferably before the DNC starts on the 18th.

On 7/18/2024 at 8:41 AM, charlierc said:

I only just recovered from getting it, so I can vouch for it turning up in the summer. To say nothing of a lot of people on the Glastonbury side of this forum reporting they brought covid back with them from Worthy Farm a few weeks ago.

there were reports of a lot of it around, before glasto - glasto just gave it a good opportunity to spread.

Just now, Neil said:

there were reports of a lot of it around, before glasto - glasto just gave it a good opportunity to spread.

I believe I caught it from a Green Day show in Manchester or a Foo Fighters show in Cardiff, both of which were before Glastonbury. But reports cases were rising again came about two or three weeks beforehand.

3 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Just found out. I’m a little bit sad about this to be honest as I still thought he could do it. They really need to get their nominee sorted sooner rather than later now. Preferably before the DNC starts on the 18th.

I think the noise just got too loud. When people like Pelosi and Obama don’t even have your back anymore it’s game over I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

does trump win by default?

No, now it means the Democrats have to find someone else, and get that in place for the convention in Chicago next month.

Something of an omen given the whole point of the current primary/caucuses system came as a result of the 1968 election, which was admittedly complicated for the Democrats by a resignation and an assassination, leading to a strongly contested convention.

1 minute ago, FloopFiller said:

I think the noise just got too loud. When people like Pelosi and Obama don’t even have your back anymore it’s game over I suppose. 

Yeah I think Pelosi was the final straw really. We also don’t know how my had expressed concerns privately. Which to be honest is what they all should have done instead of airing it all in public.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

No, now it means the Democrats have to find someone else, and get that in place for the convention in Chicago next month.

Something of an omen given the whole point of the current primary/caucuses system came as a result of the 1968 election, which was admittedly complicated for the Democrats by a resignation and an assassination, leading to a strongly contested convention.

yeah, this. What the Democrats need to do is persuade Trump sceptics that it is safe to vote for Harris (or whoever)

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Hate to repeat myself but should never have come to this, Trump should not be favourite to win this election.

I was saying after he lost that Trump would be old news by now so it’s been pretty mental to see him go from strength to strength. He seemed toast after completely f**king up the midterms but then all his Republican rivals proved to be shite and just not have the charisma to take him on. DeSantis, who I thought would be the guy, absolute wet lettuce of a man.