2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

7 hours ago, kalifire said:

It's not true until you can find a way to prove it isn't, Supre. All we have is a report from the Daily Star (!), which has then been reported on by the Daily Mail (!!), and Neil has an unverified hunch his people may have planted the stories. The stories don't even mention him headlining, just performing. We know Coachella were forced to try and find a replacement act at the eleventh hour and were reduced to Harry, but Glastonbury won't be so desperate.

If he does play, given he knows how culturally massive Glastonbury is, I think he'd gratefully take a sub slot, especially under someone like Billie Eilish. If he insists on headlining, I think he'll have to wait - his unlikely rise to headline the biggest festivals in the world won't have been on anyone's radar in 2020, and they'll have had backups upon backups waiting in the wings before considering Harry.

As said last night, the stories don’t even mention him playing with any degree of confidence - just that he’s got tour dates at the time and is rumoured for this reason. It’s not really a story anyone would plant, as it’s not really a story at all. The Daily Mail even says that he’s not booked according to a source.

16 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Moving WA into that slot means moving Noel out, most likely Other headliner… then where does Dua go?

having an older act on other whil harry is on pyramid makes sense.

RE: Harry.

If they were leaking a story deliberately then it would have said "headlining". He clearly isn't headlining as there is no reason why they wouldn't say that as it's a much more interesting story. 

I'd say he's subbing Pyramid. TBH honest he's not quite headlining Glastonbury 50th anniversary after 3 years absent is he? Nearly but not there yet. That said, he could be someone who makes a mark up if desperate last minute. But that's a job for Coldplay I'd say. 

Edited by danbailey80

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

52nd anniversary

Doesn’t really negate your point but I don’t see a prestige emphasis on this year.

Yeah I don't see there being a need necessarily for huge surprise guests or huge bookings. Just having everyone back on the farm will be enough as it is.

6 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

If they were leaking a story deliberately then it would have said "headlining". He clearly isn't headlining as there is no reason why they wouldn't say that as it's a much more interesting story. 

I'd say he's subbing Pyramid. TBH honest he's not quite headlining Glastonbury 50th anniversary after 3 years absent is he? Nearly but not there yet. That said, he could be someone who makes a mark up if desperate last minute. But that's a job for Coldplay I'd say. 

If Macca and Kendrick were in the frame (as seems likely as we heard from more than one source) and one, or both, have pulled out then they’ve got a job to find replacements relatively soon. As we’ve found out, there aren’t that many suitable artists around and available over the weekend. Harry is one though. He is playing a number of UK stadiums so is undoubtedly big enough for the job. I’m not convinced that there’ll be a need though so fingers crossed we still have Macca & Kendrick

59 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

52nd anniversary

Doesn’t really negate your point but I don’t see a prestige emphasis on this year.

I agree I dont see an emphasis on prestige.

Although the 50th anniversary ship may have sailed... this years festival back after all this nonsense is massive celebration in and of itself. I expect them to try make it a special one. 

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

This did cross my mind, could he sub; with a view to being pushed up if someone drops out? Only some of the articles released pitched him as headliner, some didn't reference that. Granted - I know absolutely nothing about him (had to go on his Wikipedia to find out he used to be in One Direction, genuinely) and I'm trying to clutch at McCartney straws.

If Paul McCartney had been moved to Sunday to accommodate Harry Styles on Saturday would it not make sense to just put Pet Shop Boys on Saturday?

Edit: Actually most people predicting Harry Styles are assuming Macca is out, aren’t they?

Edited by Somto Unigwe Raphael

21 minutes ago, mufcok said:

This did cross my mind, could he sub; with a view to being pushed up if someone drops out? Only some of the articles released pitched him as headliner, some didn't reference that. Granted - I know absolutely nothing about him (had to go on his Wikipedia to find out he used to be in One Direction, genuinely) and I'm trying to clutch at McCartney straws.

There are more than just a handful of straws to clutch at; there are many straw bales. Enough for everyone

26 minutes ago, mufcok said:

So you've got Jack White, Noel and Harry as subs. Jack White shouldn't really be that high now but his ticket prices suggest he will.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Other Stage tends to get enormo-crowds during the day rather than later on. 

The Stranglers, Blondie, Jessie J, Rag'n'Bone Man all swamped the place.

Ironically enough considering the reason for this discussion, Liam got an insanely massive crowd on there as well