2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, waltere said:

Ironically enough considering the reason for this discussion, Liam got an insanely massive crowd on there as well

Wasn't that in part due to Toot and the Maytals not turning up on the WH just before so everyone who had gone to see them piled over to the Other stage for LG?

We were stood near the back path (going towards the Glade ) with plenty of room and about 5 mins before he came on it suddenly got swamped by a lot of people.

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Wasn't that in part due to Toot and the Maytals not turning up on the WH just before so everyone who had gone to see them piled over to the Other stage for LG?

We were stood near the back path (going towards the Glade ) with plenty of room and about 5 mins before he came on it suddenly got swamped by a lot of people.

Nah I don't think it was down to that. Kaiser Chiefs were on before him, we were trying to cut through and it was already starting to fill up then. There was a massive amount of hype around that set. 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Nah I don't think it was down to that. Kaiser Chiefs were on before him, we were trying to cut through and it was already starting to fill up then. There was a massive amount of hype around that set. 

Was there? I'm a big Oasis/LG/NG fan so was there for it but I can't recall much hype.  but then maybe my memory is failing me!

The wind was all over the place and made it sound absolutely terrible I remember that much!

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Could be, I didn't realise/had forgotten those coincided.

I just remember our group trying to pass along the back of the field in front of Oxlyers just after he'd started and the crowd being so big it was hard to do so.

PRE-EDIT EDIT

@Hugh Jass is correct, there was also a shit load of hype around that set

6 minutes ago, waltere said:

Could be, I didn't realise/had forgotten those coincided.

I just remember our group trying to pass along the back of the field in front of Oxlyers just after he'd started and the crowd being so big it was hard to do so.

PRE-EDIT EDIT

@Hugh Jass is correct, there was also a shit load of hype around that set

I recall being on the railway track during Rag and Bone Man and thinking 'fuck that' with regards trying to use the field as a cut through!

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I recall being on the railway track during Rag and Bone Man and thinking 'fuck that' with regards trying to use the field as a cut through!

I came very close to a panic attack in that crowd. I thought I was stood relatively far back to just chill and ended up getting swept along. It was really quite scary. 

That being said Glastonbury almost always gets it right. I was at the killers secret set at JP and didn't have the same panic at all despite it being busy. 

16 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

It was basically his first solo gig wasn't it? 

Not his first (I was at that), but one of - first was May that year, from memory.

It was technically a 'surprise' as well, even though everyone knew. Crowd was massive

24 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I was stuck in the middle of the tents for Rag and Bone man. His crowd was insane and the sound quality awful.

The only worse crowd for sheer volume was Rolf (let me have feel) Harris on WH

3 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

RE: Harry.

If they were leaking a story deliberately then it would have said "headlining". He clearly isn't headlining as there is no reason why they wouldn't say that as it's a much more interesting story. 

I'd say he's subbing Pyramid. TBH honest he's not quite headlining Glastonbury 50th anniversary after 3 years absent is he? Nearly but not there yet. That said, he could be someone who makes a mark up if desperate last minute. But that's a job for Coldplay I'd say. 

Kendrick Lamar can headline the 50th aniversary, but Harry Styles with 5 sold out UK stadium dates can't headline 52nd. Got ya. 

9 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Is Harry Styles considered a credible pop star now? I’m not really with it I thought he was massive amongst teenagers and former one direction teenage fans. What do his records sound like? Genuinely interested. 

Some ballads, some Robbie Williams esque pop toons, a lot of Americana inspired crackly guitars. Mixed bag. But he is "credible" in sound compared to say One Direction perhaps, who I love regardless. I always point to his terrific performance of Falling at the Brits as something impossible to disrespect as performer. Sign of the Times is his statement song. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

If Paul McCartney had been moved to Sunday to accommodate Harry Styles on Saturday would it not make sense to just put Pet Shop Boys on Saturday?

Edit: Actually most people predicting Harry Styles are assuming Macca is out, aren’t they?

Yup, the main rumour, outside of the papers saying he's there came from someone saying that Macca is out and Harry is in (to headline) 

13 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Is Harry Styles considered a credible pop star now? I’m not really with it I thought he was massive amongst teenagers and former one direction teenage fans. What do his records sound like? Genuinely interested. 

Give 'She' or 'Cherry' a listen, both very good songs that sound completely different to each other, great writing and sound. 

I'm not a huge fan of his voice, or him in genuine, but he's been putting out good alt/pop songs. 

I think we can all agree that if we think an act is shit, we are perfectly within our rights to decide they are not to be considered as Glastonbury headliners. 

I only hope that Styles isn't headlining so I can go back to the sweet, sweet days when I could ignore him completely unless he crops up in films I'm watching. 

Christ, if he is doing it I may have to listen to him so I can develop an informed opinion. 

It's not even the fact that he'd be headlining that would upset me, it's losing McCartney.

There's been countless headliners who I have no interest in since I started going 11 years ago. Never bothers me because it's Glastonbury and there's always something on offer elsewhere that is good. If the lad's selling out stadiums, then I guess... why shouldn't he be a headliner?

Losing McCartney, though, would be SUCH a kick in the balls. The whole moment of him headlining the Pyramid, even more so after three years off, would be like nothing before for me. To have that ripped away would be devastating. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I think we can all agree that if we think an act is shit, we are perfectly within our rights to decide they are not to be considered as Glastonbury headliners. 

I only hope that Styles isn't headlining so I can go back to the sweet, sweet days when I could ignore him completely unless he crops up in films I'm watching. 

Christ, if he is doing it I may have to listen to him so I can develop an informed opinion. 

I think saying 'I don't like him so I would prefer someone else' is fine but saying 'he's not ready yet, I only see him as a sub headliner/Other headliner' is just stupid and putting bias into it. Its the same conversation around 'Adele would be a sub headliner only' 

48 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

I came very close to a panic attack in that crowd. I thought I was stood relatively far back to just chill and ended up getting swept along. It was really quite scary. 

That being said Glastonbury almost always gets it right. I was at the killers secret set at JP and didn't have the same panic at all despite it being busy. 

First time I’ve seen it spilling out into the tents beyond the path … and someone deciding to take a tractor through wasn’t the cleverest move 

This chat about Noel moving to Other Stage headliner is silly. We have info from literally yesterday that puts him in a very specific slot that shouldn't be discounted based on a weak rumour and speculation about what Noel might be averse to. If you're sure that Noel wouldn't sub Harry Styles (and I agree tbf), then Harry just isn't gonna be the Saturday night headliner, is he.

Edited by The Martini Police

3 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

This chat about Noel moving to Other Stage headliner is silly. We have info from literally yesterday that puts him in a very specific slot that shouldn't be discounted based on a weak rumour and speculation about what Noel might be adverse to. If you're sure that Noel wouldn't sub Harry Styles (and I agree tbf), then Harry just isn't gonna be the Saturday night headliner, is he.

Tend to agree, but something doesn't add up. Styles only been available on the Saturday is the problem.

Maybe Styles headliners the Other Stage... I'll get my coat.

53 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

I'm fairly sure I came close to a panic attack at Glastonbury 2015...we were heading towards the Hell stage in Shangri La when the Skints had just finished around 1am...there was an almighty crush near the top with people trying to go in all directions and with most people on a cocktail of drink and class-a drugs it made for a hairy 10 mins.  In fact, even when we had got out of the crush we decided to leave the area completely and head to the Stone Circle instead!