2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Fatboy Slim would be a very bad choice against Macca, the Pyramid would be rammed. If Dua Lipa is not there, then a name like Lorde would make much more sense and would attract way more people than Fatboy Slim, that you can see him any other year in smaller stages. 

Maybe they want the macca crowd to be huge and it likely will be whoever they put on the Other.

Chase and Status headlined the other in 2013 vs the Stones which smacks of ’lets put something as meh as possible on to try and load the pyramid field as much as possible’.

Theres always something extra special about 150k folks singing along to every word. The field can take it.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

They had Chase & Status on at the same time as the Stones and I’d say Fatboy Slim is more of a household name/bigger draw than they are. Some people just don’t give a fuck about those dinosaur rock acts and would rather go for a big ol’ gurned up boogie. He’d do just fine in that slot imo.

Just struggle to think that someone I’ve seen play the blues stage could hold up against Macca on the other stage. Chase and Status at the time were by far the biggest dance act in the country with hits from no more idols. Not the same.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So entertaining the view she’s out (even though I strongly disagree and think it’s a reach) why do we think Fatboy in her place? He’s a questionable other headliner as it is and going up against the biggest headliner of the weekend? Sounds a bit risky.

Who could be an option similar to Dua that would actually take a chunk of Macca’s crowd away? 

Also I think Glasto would want at least one female act headlining the other.

Doja or Megan to step in where Dua was would make sense to me. They would also do a good job of lowering Macca’s crowd numbers. 

Fat Boy wouldn’t be in her place though would he? He was there in 2020.

For me it’s the comments about rolling over the last festival which make me now think he’ll be in the same spot. (Like most people I expected him to be bumped down until this).

There’s also usually a big dance act on The Other and there’s not really many options for that this year. 

And as others have said Dua playing isn’t impossible, but due to her tour dates improbable, so I’m going with her coming back next year instead. 

All guesswork of course, but educated guesswork without bias.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The Fatboy booking was a clear and obvious nod to the festivals 50th and his long association with it. It was the right booking at the time as it was hard to begrudge him his moment. But now we’re not celebrating the 50th I could easily him being shifted over to the JP or somewhere.

id love him to still play it ... the festival still acknowledging a legend on the farm ... 50th or not hes still put the hard yards in for them .... would they then wait for the 60th ? .... why would people begrudge the same thing a few years later ? 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Just struggle to think that someone I’ve seen play the blues stage could hold up against Macca on the other stage. Chase and Status at the time were by far the biggest dance act in the country with hits from no more idols. Not the same.

Playing the Blues stage with thousands of people trying to cram in to see him. Like I said earlier, it’s an incredibly uninspired booking, but I see no reason why they wouldn’t repeat it for this year if there were no other viable electronic acts to take a OS headline slot. 

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Dua wouldn't put in a great headline set.

I really like Dua, I've seen her a couple of times, and would definitely see her again... But from when I've seen her, she doesn't have that headline aura around her. She's a very very good and undoubtedly HUGE act, but she would just be an "oh well I enjoyed that" sort of headliner. I couldn't see her headline slot being a moment.

Having said that, if she did ever headline, I would be there.

42 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So entertaining the view she’s out (even though I strongly disagree and think it’s a reach) why do we think Fatboy in her place? He’s a questionable other headliner as it is and going up against the biggest headliner of the weekend? Sounds a bit risky.

Who could be an option similar to Dua that would actually take a chunk of Macca’s crowd away? 

Also I think Glasto would want at least one female act headlining the other.

Doja or Megan to step in where Dua was would make sense to me. They would also do a good job of lowering Macca’s crowd numbers. 

Because they appear to be rolling a large amount of the 2020 festival over. You even said yourself this morning that you think if an act was on the 2020 lineup and is around this Summer you expect them back. It’s not a stretch to think they could be in the same slot as before.

Personally I reckon that was probably the first thing they did before filling gaps left by drop outs.

If my (and several others’) inkling about Dua Lipa not coming back ends up being correct, it could very easily be that QOTSA (and now Foals) just replaced her and swapped days with Fatboy Slim. Maybe because it leaves more sensible clashes, maybe because QOTSA/Fatboy we’re gonna be busy on the Sat/Fri, respectively.

I also think you’re wildly overestimating the pull of Doja Cat/Megan Thee Stallion at Glastonbury. I’d wager that Fatboy Slim would get a bigger crowd than either of them headlining the Other. I’m at the lower end of the age spectrum when it comes to Glasto and I/most of my mates are into pop music/hip-hop. I’m honestly not sure I know one person who likes Doja Cat or Megan Thee Stallion.

Edited by Somto Unigwe Raphael
  • Upvote 2

Dua Lipa has without a doubt a greater pull than Doja Cat/Megan in general - and at glastonbury this would just be even more noticeable. There's definitely other dance acts about who could do Other headline - maybe Disclosure could be in the running and theres nothing ruling out some of the more creamfields headline picks either

5 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

I also think you’re wildly overestimating the pull of Doja Cat/Megan Thee Stallion at Glastonbury. I’d wager that Fatboy Slim would get a bigger crowd than either of them headlining the Other. I’m at the lower end of the age spectrum when it comes to Glasto and I/most of my mates are into pop music/hip-hop. I’m honestly not sure I know one person who likes Doja Cat or Megan Thee Stallion.

To me they are two of the biggest acts in the world right now in terms of popularity with Gen Z etc.

Just now, Matt42 said:

To me they are two of the biggest acts in the world right now in terms of popularity with Gen Z etc.

If you limit that to the younger end of Gen Z I’d maybe agree. And Glasto isn’t packed full of Gen Z like other festivals are. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

How do you even begin to substantiate this? 

Genuinely interested. Are there metrics to work out popularity by age range? 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Dunno if I agree. If Taylor wants to do it in 2023 then Dua is going to have to wait until 2024 and beyond anyway. Surely it makes more sense for her to do it now. Take 2023 off, and then throw her hat in the ring for 2024 with a sparkling Other Stage where she has smashed it to prove she can handle el pointo. Push the can down the road too far and you may never get the call. Glastonbury could have all sorts of acts knocking at their door for 2024.

FWIW, since 2008 no act has gone on to headline the Pyramid after headlining the Other stage.

(Shameless link to my headliner geekout thread from last year: https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/236675-what-makes-a-pyramid-headliner-geek-alert/)

I know there’s no pattern, etc.

Personally very much hoping she does play, but OTOH if she’s not at least I don’t have to stress about the (potential) clash with Macca. 😂

3 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

If you limit that to the younger end of Gen Z I’d maybe agree. And Glasto isn’t packed full of Gen Z like other festivals are. 

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You’ve been to Glastonbury right? You know that the majority of punters aren’t Gen Z, or whatever label they have these days, right?

Of course it’s not only Gen Z who listen to them. Doja would probably be a must see for my group (mid 20s). I reckon if she was up against McCartney a big chunk of my group would sack McCartney off.

Isn't that exactly the type of act they want to put against McCartney?

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

How do you even begin to substantiate this? 

Genuinely interested. Are there metrics to work out popularity by age range? 

55.72m monthly Spotify listeners is probably a good one. Huge presence on tik tok.

3 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

What percentage split do you think Gen Z make up of festival attendees, in your opinion? 

Enough to give Billie one of the biggest crowds of the weekend in 2019.

Of course it’s not only Gen Z who listen to them. Doja would probably be a must see for my group (mid 20s). I reckon if she was up against McCartney a big chunk of my group would sack McCartney off.

Isn't that exactly the type of act they want to put against McCartney?

55.72m monthly Spotify listeners is probably a good one. Huge presence on tik tok.

Unless I was completely out of it Billie’s crowd wasn’t big at all.

Considering my whole group of 7 were at Billie and we're all in our mid - late 20s, I doubt it was just Gen Z's. 

Billie had one of the biggest albums of 2019, with a huge selling single in Bad Guy. 

Megans album hit number 46 in the charts. 

Megan is not headlining the Other Stage

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Megans album hit number 46 in the charts. Megan is not headlining the Other Stage

I mean this argument is a bit poor. She’s become much bigger since that album dropped. It did drop at a time where she wasn’t that well known in the UK.

Would you say the same about Lizzo? Her last album charted poorly in the UK but she’d definitely get a massive slot if she played, as the album came out before she broke out.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not getting into this again but this belief that the biggest acts in streaming, radio, music festivals across the world or whatever wouldn’t pull a crowd at Glastonbury just baffles me. Who do you think attends this festival? 

No one is saying wouldn't pull a crowd. People are saying they're not big enough to headline the 2nd stage. 

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

No one is saying wouldn't pull a crowd. People are saying they're not big enough to headline the 2nd stage. 

For what it’s worth I think Megan wouldn’t be an other headliner and probably sub it. Doja is more likely to take the other headline.

1 minute ago, Euphoricape said:

Are QOTSA 100 percent out, or is it just speculation? Could they not headline Saturday other if Foals are doing the Friday?

They’ve dropped out of a couple of festivals now and the info was specifically that they were up against Billie, so now with the updated info of Foals getting that slot, it’s almost certain that they’ve canned their whole tour. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

For what it’s worth I think Megan wouldn’t be an other headliner and probably sub it. Doja is more likely to take the other headline.

To me, Doja and Billie are around the same level (in the UK) as Billie was in June of 19' and thats me at a stretch. 

I think what we've got to remember is that just because they're big in Europe/US (especially US for Doja/Megan) does not mean they're the same size in the UK.

And if we're going of what you said earlier about Spotify, Billie has 49 million, Doja has 55, so in that sense Doja should be headlining the Pyramid. 

Edited by chazwwe