news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Only about 1% of the current crop of Tory MPs entered parliament from a working-class job, according to new research that suggests a growing “representation gap” in parliament.

Just 7% of all MPs can be considered “working class”, compared with 34% of all UK working-age adults. While 13% of Labour MPs joined parliament from a working-class occupation, the proportion has halved since the 1980s.

The analysis, by researchers of the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR), comes as both parties go through the process of selecting candidates for the next election. The proportion of British people who are working class has also fallen, but the decline among MPs has been twice as fast.

from https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/24/just-one-in-100-tory-mps-came-from-a-working-class-job-new-study-shows

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not that surprising...Tories/Truss/Sunak getting wall to wall coverage at the moment.

Yep the Labour lead was always transient.

So its back to relying on the tories (Truss) to make a pigs ear of it between now and the next GE.

In what seems like it’ll be a very tricky period in terms of the wider economic and geopolitical outlook, then I’m still hopeful that it’ll be a Labour lead govt - even if they’re not the largest party, I don’t think the tories will be anywhere near a majority and nobody else will work with them.

Edited by mattiloy

24 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Yep the Labour lead was always transient.

So its back to relying on the tories (Truss) to make a pigs ear of it between now and the next GE.

In what seems like it’ll be a very tricky period in terms of the wider economic and geopolitical outlook, then I’m still hopeful that it’ll be a Labour lead govt - even if they’re not the largest party, I don’t think the tories will be anywhere near a majority and nobody else will work with them.

Yeah I'm sure she'll get a honeymoon period and they may level with labour in polls, or maybe even lead..just have to see how long this inflation goes on and if we go into recession etc. She may be tempted to call an early election...so labour need to be ready for that

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah I'm sure she'll get a honeymoon period and they may level with labour in polls, or maybe even lead..just have to see how long this inflation goes on and if we go into recession etc. She may be tempted to call an early election...so labour need to be ready for that

Or Sunak. We're all assuming Truss will win.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I guess Johnson getting kicked out is bad news for Sturgeon's push for another referendum.

she's been saying how Johnson as pm was great for turning scots towards indy.