news & politics:discussion

zahidf

39 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Is the NHS a serious issue for party members. While the majority are over 50 of which the higher proportion are over 60 they are also higher earners of 100k +. Call me cynical but many of these will have the resources for health insurance or been able to afford private health directly.

But at the end of the day for the general population it needs to be discussed.

3 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Is the NHS a serious issue for party members. While the majority are over 50 of which the higher proportion are over 60 they are also higher earners of 100k +. Call me cynical but many of these will have the resources for health insurance or been able to afford private health directly.

But at the end of the day for the general population it needs to be discussed.

I don't know. They may be old, and not poor, but not sure if they're necessarily earning 100k+. A lot are probably pensioners and are using the NHS...especially if an emergency.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I don't know. They may be old, and not poor, but not sure if they're necessarily earning 100k+. A lot are probably pensioners and are using the NHS...especially if an emergency.

Sorry I am a technophobe and I have have problems linking pages on my phone. I read that on the BBC under the banner of Who are the party members or something like that. 

But you are correct A&E is an issue for all of us irrespective. But if the demographic is correct it won't affect many party members. 

Off topic but during lockdown I had cataracts for nearly two years. The final six months I was totally blind and I was totally reliant on my son and I never left the house. Normally treatment for cataracts (I still have them in my left eye) is 4to6:weeks. During my period of blindness a friend had his treated privately within 3 weeks. One eye cost seventeen hundred which at the time was out of reach for me. But for me it is a moral decision as well. I don't believe in a two tier health system.

I guess we really need to push the candidates on the future of the NHS which has been decentralised and fragmented by all governments.

Sorry for the ramble.

27 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Sorry I am a technophobe and I have have problems linking pages on my phone. I read that on the BBC under the banner of Who are the party members or something like that. 

But you are correct A&E is an issue for all of us irrespective. But if the demographic is correct it won't affect many party members. 

Off topic but during lockdown I had cataracts for nearly two years. The final six months I was totally blind and I was totally reliant on my son and I never left the house. Normally treatment for cataracts (I still have them in my left eye) is 4to6:weeks. During my period of blindness a friend had his treated privately within 3 weeks. One eye cost seventeen hundred which at the time was out of reach for me. But for me it is a moral decision as well. I don't believe in a two tier health system.

I guess we really need to push the candidates on the future of the NHS which has been decentralised and fragmented by all governments.

Sorry for the ramble.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you’re doing ok now. The NHS can do wonderful things so I hope you can get what you need done. 

Whilst out jogging with all the other centrist dads this morning I was listening to this centrist schmooze of a podcast with Rory Stewart and Alastair Campbell interviewing Starmer. It was kind of civilised, it's not Andrew Neil or some woman from Liverpool tearing him apart, but Campbell was pressing him on how the hell is he going to actually win the next election, Stewart on what is he actually going to do to get economy growing, and both of them on PR and how everything is shit and needs wholesale change. They also talked about Boris Johnson and Starmer used a few sweary words.

https://play.acast.com/s/the-rest-is-politics/keir-starmer-on-rebuilding-labour-tory-leadership-and-brexit