news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Do we need an informal poll. 

Will the next Tory leader make it to the scheduled general election in 2025?

I dont think Sunak would go to the polls early (though don't think he'll get in).  But Truss is a fruit loop, so could see her thinking she stood a chance earlier.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

This is getting quite some coverage … how the hell anyone still wants to vote these twats into power god only knows !!! 

I don't know how old you but I remember Thatcher days. I had to sign on at 16 while I was waiting on my date to join the military. I signed on with my dad and two uncles. They were fishermen and if you weren't at sea you didn't get paid. 

Cut to the chase it was the most demeaning and humbling thing I have gone through. Joining a queue that stretched out in the street and down the road does that for you. Thankfully they didn't have Theresa May to call them lazy.

I once have praise to a Tory candidate who knocked on my door when we lived on a sink estate. John Prescott was our MP but I gave the Tory my vote as he must have had the nads of an elephant to canvass the docklands.

Sorry for the digression 

13 hours ago, Ozanne said:

That's what he needs to do.  I voted Tory in 2016, but in 19 went LD. At the next election, I'm thinking about voting Starmer.  Some of this isn't necessarily down to KS though - Johnson and now Truss are truly bad (even for an ex Tory voter) - the LibDems have faded away and there's only really Labour left.  The difference to 2019 is that Starmer is much more palatable to the swing voters than Corbyn....if I hadn't gone LD, then I'd have pick Boj over Jez (or a local independent).  Starmer isn't setting the world on fire, but he doesn't need to - he needs to play the straight game - dependable, boring, a safe pair of hands, etc.....basically not fuck it up.  Long term he'll not last because of that, but I think we need that right now.

12 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

That's what he needs to do.  I voted Tory in 2016, but in 19 went LD. At the next election, I'm thinking about voting Starmer.  Some of this isn't necessarily down to KS though - Johnson and now Truss are truly bad (even for an ex Tory voter) - the LibDems have faded away and there's only really Labour left.  The difference to 2019 is that Starmer is much more palatable to the swing voters than Corbyn....if I hadn't gone LD, then I'd have pick Boj over Jez (or a local independent).  Starmer isn't setting the world on fire, but he doesn't need to - he needs to play the straight game - dependable, boring, a safe pair of hands, etc.....basically not fuck it up.  Long term he'll not last because of that, but I think we need that right now.

He’s the Michael Atherton of politics?

38 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

what constituency do you live in? Depending where you are then either labour or lib dem could be your best option

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

and a shit load of people dying ?! best not to forget this .....

yeah, I mean a lockdown was damaging, but how damaging would it have been if didn't lockdown? That is something we'll never know, but could have been pretty bad anyway, and a totally banjaxed health service. But, the whole idea was we'd bounce back, v shaped downturn and all that, but it turns out we just returned to a country that was already struggling, brexit was starting to mess with parts of the economy, then there was the fallout of messed up supply chains from a china and elsewhere, and then Russia decided to invade Ukraine.

Apparently he single handily stopped the lockdown last December:

When the Omicron variant started to rise last December, the dance began again. A Sage analysis claimed that without a fourth lockdown, Covid deaths could hit 6,000 a day. That was out by a factor of 20. But we only know this because, for once, the government rejected Sage’s advice. This time, Sunak was taking soundings of his own – including academics at Stanford University, where he went to business school, and his former colleagues in the world of finance who had started to do some Covid modelling. Crucially, JP Morgan used South African data on Omicron to suggest that UK hospitals would not be overrun – contrary to Sage’s predictions.

On the case of Omicron, if that very different perspective was right, then every single one of the 12 Sage scenarios provided to ministers was a vast exaggeration and Britain would be locked down needlessly. Yet the wheels were already in motion, says Sunak. ‘They had briefed already that there was going to be a press conference. The system just kind of geared up.’

JP Morgan’s lockdown analysis was being emailed around among cabinet ministers like a samizdat paper, and they were ready to rebel. Sunak met Johnson. ‘I just told him it’s not right: we shouldn’t do this.’ He did not threaten to resign if there was another lockdown, ‘but I used the closest formulation of words that I could’ to imply that threat.