news & politics:discussion

zahidf

30 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Tory voting constituencies to get power and everyone else better get their candles out!

i didn't get the full details, as they stopped and said "you can't blab about this".

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Ovo boss has a plan, similar to Scottish Energy one except poorest households get more help, it isn't uniform...

image.png.3f2ed2b9089321d295690cc3fe918c0a.png

This guy has direct control over his companies price. He could literally lower his prices. 

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'm sure there are contingency plans for power cuts just in case, and I reckon we'll get some sort of energy rationing thing too, but Truss/Sunak won't say anything about this until after elected.

it sounded like it was a new thing put together recently.

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This guy has direct control over his companies price. He could literally lower his prices. 

within limits cos he has to sell energy at a higher price than he buys it, 

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

within limits cos he has to sell energy at a higher price than he buys it, 

He doesn’t have too, he’s choosing to keep his prices high so he can maximise his precious profits. 

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m looking at picking up a small UPS. Nothing too huge. Just something that has enough juice for me to save my work/game and shut down when the inevitable powercuts come. 

i've been using a cyberpower powerpanel personal for several years and it'll run my desktop and monitors, plus router, hub, NAS. for 20 minutes or so; i haven't pushed it longer because i've had no  need to test its limits.

i got it because the trip switch kept going off.

Just now, Ozanne said:

He doesn’t have too, he’s choosing to keep his prices high so he can maximise his precious profits. 

if he lowers his prices  too much, he quickly becomes an ex-energy supplier. when he can't pay his suppliers.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

i've been using a cyberpower powerpanel personal for several years and it'll run my desktop and monitors, plus router, hub, NAS. for 20 minutes or so; i haven't pushed it longer because i've had no  need to test its limits.

i got it because the trip switch kept going off.

just checked and the UPS software says it'll run for 34 minutes with everthing i have plugged into it.

37 minutes ago, Neil said:

if he lowers his prices  too much, he quickly becomes an ex-energy supplier. when he can't pay his suppliers.

I’m sure they have enough cash to absorb the hit more than working families do. 

28 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m sure they have enough cash to absorb the hit more than working families do. 

Might do,  I would have thought you'd fight against the idea that high price equals high profits, its viod of all context 

42 minutes ago, Neil said:

Might do,  I would have thought you'd fight against the idea that high price equals high profits, its viod of all context 

So if they do then they are asking for money from the government so they can cut prices when they can do that anyway. It’s robbery. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

I would have thought you'd fight against the idea that high price equals high profits, its viod of all context 

It would need to be split by type of company. Obviously the first type who simply buy energy off the market and re-sell it aren't making any more.

Those that have a generation unit.. The price we pay is set by the highest cost Kwh on the grid at anyone time so I'm guessing at the moment its either natural gas generated or energy we buy in from other countries. Weirdly the companies that are making "excess profits" are going to be the alternative energy companies. I would think any government would have to find a balance where they are not discouraging investment by these companies and allowing them to build up reserves for more normal times when they are more expensive vs the profit they are making when the gas price goes crazy.

54 minutes ago, lost said:

Yesterday you wanted investment in alternatives. That's some U turn!

I want cheaper bills for people and not massive profits for the energy firms. You only seem to want to protect the energy firms.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You only seem to want to protect the energy firms.

I didn't say what I wanted. I simply pointed out the alternative energy companies couldn't cut their prices even if they wanted to.